Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
alix
Kindle Newbie
alix began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3 WiFi+3G
Kindle 3G in France newbie!!

Hi!!

I just got Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi just last week. I bought it from amazon.com using french address and french credit card.

When I want to use web browser, I've got the message "Due to local restrictions, web browsing is not available for all countries" I'm able to access only amazon store and wikipedia(English page).

Are there any solution or tricks to make this work? I want just to check my e-mail on the go while leaving here. As I'm plan to move to Romania in next 3 months and don't want to have any internet subscription with mobile operator here.

I've try to change the address in manage kindle to Italy, but it's didn't seem to solve....

And one more question, Did someone have experience in using kindle in Bucharest? Did 3G there has restrict on browsing web also?

Thank you for your help!!
alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Bon soir, Alix! Welcome!

Sorry, I can't help you as I own only Sonys.

You will see everyone over there is friendly and helpful and I am sure they will work this out for your very fast.

Maybe someone in the French Kindle forums is able to help you.

Last edited by Poppaea; 05-14-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I live in Switzerland but have a UK account, so I get books that way. But most ebooks in French are ePub rather than the Kindle format.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:42 AM   #4
alix
Kindle Newbie

Thank you both of your answer....

I live in France but my French language still not that good, Anyway I will try posting to france kindle forum.

I try searching on internet about whispernet in france browsing for 3G website on kindle. I found out that this problem posts are quite new, something like January this year.

Is it possible that Amazon has changed anything in new delivery kindle this year. As there are a lot of users in France still confirmed that they can use 3G in Kindle for browsing. But still not sure as mostly I searched in English speaking forum.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #5
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I do have an idea. It is possible that there is a difference in the behaviour of the 3G between those Kindle sold to American users and those sold to Europeans. I know for example you can browse with the Sony PRS-950, which has 3G, only Wikipedia in Europa, but when you use wifi you can check your email. This has something to do with the costs of the 3G. I am sure you can browse the Amazon store and Wikikpedia. Try it, please. And then try wifi only, where you are the one paying for the internet gate, to check your mail.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Nope. Kindles sold to the US work just fine in Europe and vice versa. Are you able to surf the web using WiFi? Have you tried a US address?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
alix
Kindle Newbie

I have no problem with wiki and amazon store via 3G.
And also I can browse to other website using WiFi

I will try put some fake US address, and see it will allow me to use 3G for browsing web or not.

Thanks for your idea!!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
shel
shel is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Alix-

I'm an American living in France. I have a US-model Kindle III 3g+WiFi which I bought in the USA and brought with me to France this past March.

At first, I had the same limitation you do, i.e. 3g Web surfing was limited to specific Wikipedia enquiries and to the Amazon store.

However, after about a month, and a short trip to another part of France, I was able to use the entire Web without restriction.

I cannot say if my situation is special, or if it's the general case that things change after a while.

Free WiFi is very hard to find in France, so I perfectly understand your desire to use 3G; I wish I had a solution for you, but all I can supply is a data point.

-Shel
shel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
alix
Kindle Newbie

Thank you for your information, Shel.
Yes, you are right!! It is really hard to find WiFi in France

Finally, I can use 3G to browse an internet on my kindle just now!! really exciting!!
I change location in manage Kindle to US. Then, I restart Kindle and Brovo! It's work!!

The things I concern is I shouldn't buy the book via 3G on my Kindle. As my location will be detect by Amazon US, Right?

I would better create another account to buy credit for this account using US address to avoid subsequent problem.

-Alix

Tags
3g browsing, france, kindle