Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Smile "Droll, witty and utterly British" - Publishers Weekly Reviewer

Hi,
Thanks for the opportunity to promote my book.

"But Can You Drink The Water?" was a semi-finalist (top 50 out of 5000) in the 2010 ABNA contest and the Publishers Weekly reviewer described it as “Droll, witty and utterly British. What sustains this book, however, is the narrative voice, the dry and self-deprecating humor, and the ability of this author to tell a story simply and well.”

Set in 1988, it uses subtle observational humour, with an underlying pathos, to portray the upsets, hurt and changing family dynamics that emigration brings. It will appeal to fans of Educating Rita and Shirley Valentine, and to expats, and potential expats worldwide.

When Frank Turner informs his wife and teenage son they are emigrating from Liverpool to sunny South Africa, he is unprepared for their hostile response. His defiant son makes his own silent protest, and his wife’s assertion that “we never shoulda come” is parroted at every minor calamity.
The bewildered working-class scousers are thrust into an alien world of servants, strange African customs, unintelligible accents, and unexpected wild life (‘crocodiles’ on the wall).
Their uneasy interactions with Zulu servants, Afrikaner neighbours, and foreign officialdom exposes their naivety, but they each learn to cope in their own individual way; Mavis overcoming homesickness by hugging the knowledge that when Frank’s contract ends they can return home; Gerry’s sullen resentment giving way to love of the outdoor life, and Frank masking his own doubts with blustering optimism and bantering sarcasm.

http://www.amazon.com/But-Can-Drink-...6130811&sr=1-1
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thrilled that But Can You... reached #20 on the Amazon UK #100 bestseller list and was #1 in three categories.

It has also been chosen as one of January's Ten Most Popular Frugal Finds from The Frugal eReader!
http://www.thefrugalereader.com/2011...gal-finds.html
Old 05-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Just4kix
Zealot

'Scaling the language barrier in Africa'

If you're an expat, or know any expats, you might be interested in my article that appears in this week's Weekly Telegraph, World Edition, and also online.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/exp...in-Africa.html

Old 05-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Do you have any plans to bring this to Smashwords so those of use who don't buy from Amazon for whatever reason can read it? It looks like something right up my alley, except the Kindle part.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #5
Just4kix
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
Do you have any plans to bring this to Smashwords so those of use who don't buy from Amazon for whatever reason can read it? It looks like something right up my alley, except the Kindle part.
I'm sorry this is a problem for you, but it's not for lack of trying on my part. Smashwords pay using PayPal and I can't receive PayPal payments in SA unless I change my bank to FNB and invest R10 000 with them. The bank charges would likely cancel any profit from Smashword sales.

Barnes & Noble are not open to writers outside the US, so I had no luck there either, but I have published my Leon Chameleon PI books through a US publisher and these are available on Barnes & Noble.

My apologies. Hope you understand.

Tags
expats, fiction, humorous fiction, liverpool, south africa