Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #76
CraigAtk
CraigAtk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Malone View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of a straight upload of pre-formatted files, but I'll look into that.

Nice avatar too.
I'm contemplating creating a new eBook seller, one that allows authors to directly upload their formatted eBook files. It would also charge a low monthly fee rather than a commission. Would that be along the lines of what you are looking for?
CraigAtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:06 AM   #77
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
For anyone who is interested, the new 2.0 version of Scrivener will compile directly to .epub and .mobi (Kindle) formats (as well as HTML and a whole slew of other ones).

Wasn't smashwords considering changing their input process? The conversion they used last time I checked was a bit awkward.

EDIT: Never mind, you can't upload formats to Smashwords directly. I must have been thinking of something else (or just wishful thinking). I am not the first to say that .doc format is not the best for simple creation of anything. It would be nice if they accepted simple text docs. I should update my Scrivener exporter for Smashwords.

Last edited by llreader; 11-13-2010 at 05:09 PM.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #78
sportourer1
Writer
sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

EBooks - publish everywhere

I think you need to publish everywhere and anywhere as in reality few are sold at present and many many are published.
sportourer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:06 AM   #79
q5485
q5485 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_A20 View Post
As an amateur writer, it took me three months to learn how to make .mobi and epub books by hand, from scratch. It gave me an insight into ebook construction not possible when using conversion programs. I wrote tutorials which are available on my website, www.katiebooks.ca, for anyone interested. You can copy the code, insert your information, and be published in minutes. Give it a try!

I would like to invite ebook writers to consider joining me on katiebooks.ca to publish their work. Please explore the site for information.

Tony A
Hi Tony
I asked this question on another forum but do you know how to embed animation in an epub file? I want to create it for uploading it to an ipad.
Thanks
q5485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #80
JulieMack
Enthusiast
JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This is a great resource - there are so many places to publish eBooks, it can be overwhelming!! I still am not sure what is the best way to do this. My eBooks are geared more towards Internet marketing, blogging how-to books. Thanks!
JulieMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #81
Janice Daugharty
Janice Daugharty can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Janice Daugharty can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Janice Daugharty can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Janice Daugharty can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Janice Daugharty can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Janice Daugharty can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Janice Daugharty can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Janice Daugharty can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Janice Daugharty can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Janice Daugharty can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Janice Daugharty can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

I've been with Smashwords for over a year now, and I can honestly vouch for the honesty of creator Mark Coker and his staff. Smashwords not only sells ebooks but distributes them too--to most of the major retailers. Eliminates a whole lot of work for this writer with approx 80 ebooks to juggle, plus my traditionally published works. Janice Daugharty Visit me at www.janicedaugharty.com
Janice Daugharty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #82
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Malone View Post
I'm fairly annoyed that all these places force authors to use their (the ebook sites') conversion processes, which are normally pretty subpar. I have a professionally formatted ebook that I put quite alot of effort into with InDesign, then also tweaked the formatting on the ePub and MOBI in Oxygen, and I get onto these sites like Smashwords and Feedbooks and they want .doc files and copy paste text. I guess this is in part to cater to people who don't have the knowledge to design a book, and/nor the software, as well as needing to maintain a common formatting style for everything on their sites. But it is frustrating. Are there no sites that allow authors to publish their own formating that follows all the technical guidelines for PDF, ePub, and MOBI? gigapedia is the only site I know of. I'm going to crawl through the ebook Architects and try to find some there.
Goodreads.com. You can now sell your e-book there, they pay in $cheques or through paypal and you have to upload an epub file. I'm working on producing one of those right now!

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #83
JonDeus
HackJOB
JonDeus began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad, Android(Epic), PC.
cool thanks for info!
JonDeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #84
abr
abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Sorry, I'm a new user to the forums and don't understand how to use them properly, so this might not be the best place to put my comment. But here goes.

Smashwords is another publisher and distributor of ebooks. Through it you can sell or publish free ebooks (unlike Amazon). Smashwords has its own popular web site, and distributes to barnesandnoble.com, Apple ibookstore, and kobobooks.com. You can self-publish your own epub ebooks on those sites without using Smashwords or paying the 15% commission it charges on sales, but it provides full accounting and a one-stop shop. In addition, Smashwords is one of only two approved content aggregators for ebookstore.sony.com and also the smaller ebook site diesel-ebooks.com. Kobobooks.com feeds the epub from Smashwords to other ebook retailers including borders.com, and handles all the transactions and pays through smashwords.

Smashwords' own site posts your book in Kindle (mobi), epub, lrf, PDF, RTF. and plain text. It's machine converters don't produce the nicest books but it's all automatic, you just upload a .doc file (or rtf) and your ebook cover if you have one.

All of the above are options and you can select all of them or only specify which options you want. There is much more information available from smashwords.com.

Many self-publishers list their ebooks on Amazon and Smashwords.

Last edited by abr; 03-15-2011 at 04:57 PM.
abr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #85
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Galaxy SIII; Xoom; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There's a very useful resource I mentioned in another (non-sticky) thread, so I'm re-posting it here so I don't lose it again.

http://ebookarchitects.com/conversions/retailers.php

This list the various ebook retailers and wholesalers, and what their requirements are. It seems to be accurate and up-to-date.
Excellent. I know this post is about a year old, but I'm just getting up to speed on this stuff in preparation for publishing a few books.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #86
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Galaxy SIII; Xoom; Kindle Fire
So here's a question I didn't see addressed above -- ISBNs? How to get them and if they are needed and useful or required for self-publishing?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #87
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
So here's a question I didn't see addressed above -- ISBNs? How to get them and if they are needed and useful or required for self-publishing?
You get an ISBN range from the ISBN authority for the country you live in.

You don't need an ISBN for publishing a Kindle ebook through Amazon. I think you do need an ISBN for publishing an ePub, mostly.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #88
Pensake
Pensake began at the beginning.

Device: mobile device
Kindle

Almost everyone has a mobile device iPhone or Android that you can use Kindle on. I don't own a kindle but I still read kindle books on my android..

My frustration is with graphic novels, I have yet to see a reader that has the software that can render the graphics correctly for a graphic novel. I have published comics before, now I am moving into the novel realm but there are no eReader software, or no hardware software combos that can.

Am I missing something here? Kindle is too low on the totem pole for graphics, iPad has issues even with magazines that end up costing the end user five times the normal amount to read their favorite magazines because apple charges them like 30 percent to make content for iPad.... GTFO in my honest opinion. The only thing that gets close are the new Android tablets with open source software that allows devs to create new content.. lets hope a graphical eReader is in the works from someone.
Pensake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #89
Pensake
Pensake began at the beginning.

Device: mobile device
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMack View Post
This is a great resource - there are so many places to publish eBooks, it can be overwhelming!! I still am not sure what is the best way to do this. My eBooks are geared more towards Internet marketing, blogging how-to books. Thanks!
I know a few authors who publish via ePublishing, they use Amazon.com for kindle and smashwords.com for everything else. They do all formats including pdf.
Pensake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensake View Post
I know a few authors who publish via ePublishing, they use Amazon.com for kindle and smashwords.com for everything else. They do all formats including pdf.
But sometimes Smashwords ePub can be a bit not all that wonderful since they use and automated meatgrinder to do the conversion. Find a place you can put nicely hand crafted ePub and then you'll be in business.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote