Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #136
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
(When you think of it, calibre can do everything about a book. But what about those "poor" authors :-)
hmm other nice suggestion. Poor author... What is the (current) value of all books by this author.

No-one has tried something like this? So no "Learn from the past" in this case?
drMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #137
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I've never bothered. I can get all the author info I want from a right-click of Search the Internet plugin - all the books they have written via FantasticFiction.co.uk (for the authors I am interested in), and all the author bio via the Wikipedia click. Having what will quickly become an out of date local copy of this information holds no interest to me, but that's just my opinion.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #138
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Well it would be nice in some cases:

- author not common so not on Internet
- If you want to read books of a particular era
- If author is dead (and no update expected)
- If it is combined with a plugin to update info from some sites
- If you have a slow network or work on a laptop without Internet (e.g. while traveling)
Old 04-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #139
drMerry
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemetrics View Post
A suggestion - Allow the capability to store an Torrent file along with the ebook. This way we could have the Caliber folder shared with a BitTorrent client and keep the sharing on.

Also we could have an option to Export a one or many ebooks as a torrent file and add it to a BitTorrent client folder.
This is not possible.
Calibre is the owner of the library-folder. It sorts files in this folder automatically. It only sorts files calibre added itself. So all files added by a torrent-program would be removed if you rename the book or author.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #140
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drMerry View Post

- If you have a slow network or work on a laptop without Internet (e.g. while traveling)
Still not enough reasons to convince me - but don't let that stop you, you asked if others had any thoughts, and I gave you an answer why it hasn't justified the effort to me personally. I'm not going to find it life and death to wait until I have an internet connection again to do a simple right click Search the Internet lookup (via Google if not on Wikipedia) and get information that others are maintaining with no effort by myself. And if Google can't find it, I am unlikely to have other sources to populate it locally...

The only aspect slightly related to this that has any interest to me is an idea that was raised by someone else near the start of this thread. That is the ability to see upcoming or recently released books by an author. Now that is an idea I can get hot and sweaty about - the problem being where you can scrape the data from. FictFact is one of the easiest to source from, but only has data for books that are in a "series" which is too limiting. FantasticFiction is a far better source, and I even spent a little time figuring out the "voodoo" of it's separate data server lookups that sit behind the page in javascript.

However the amount of effort (and persistence requirements) to scrape data is such that it is the sort of thing you would want to have running on a server somewhere, produce a summary file and then have that available for the plugin to update from on a daily basis or whatever. So only one process is scraping the FF site (plus potentially other sites, munging the data together). However I don't have a server to run that background scraping on or make available the daily result file for plugin usage so it is just wishful thinking to me.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #141
drMerry
Addict

I'm happy with your reply.
And lucky enough, your not the only coder :P

About that server, I do not know how heavy the process is and how much connections there would be, but if are reasonal ammounts, I could maybe help you by providing a dataserver. We could talk about that by mail.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:14 AM   #142
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Wink Challenge ! : mbp file editor for K?

Hi All Calibre code gurues !
Nyn & I just had a discussion where sometimes (why?) K? gets mbp files all messed up. If you try to re-read a book to get to the end (ie. 99/100% read) the date will be now, instead of when you actually finished reading it.
Also have to "re-read" a book just for this, is boring, takes a lot of time.
SO - The challenge is as follows:
A plugin/program is needed to modify the MBP file ON THE K? !
Personally I only see a need for modifying the date and last read location.
Nyn & others might have other wishes, but .....

Any devellopers up for the challenge ?

Personally I'm willing to donate if that should be needed.

The glove is .. ?
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:19 AM   #143
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
Hi All Calibre code gurues !
Nyn & I just had a discussion where sometimes (why?) K? gets mbp files all messed up. If you try to re-read a book to get to the end (ie. 99/100% read) the date will be now, instead of when you actually finished reading it.
Also have to "re-read" a book just for this, is boring, takes a lot of time.
SO - The challenge is as follows:
Nyn & others might have other wishes, but .....

Any devellopers up for the challenge ?

Personally I'm willing to donate if that should be needed.

The glove is .. ?
I too would only need to modify the date, but I would not mind if the plugin had the ability to either modify the mbp on the kindle or the backup one which is in Calibre as long as it is still readable by the kindle.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #144
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
Well, I guess that's something I might consider looking at, but its not clear what the issue is.

If you open a book and just use goto to get to the end or spot where you want you can avoid 're-reading' a book. What would you want the plugin to do?

The main issue is that the mbp format is not fully known. There are some sites/attempts to document it - but modifying it could potentially mess up the file and lose your notes, etc. So I'm not certain it would be safe, although I might look at what is available for it.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #145
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Well, I guess that's something I might consider looking at, but its not clear what the issue is.

If you open a book and just use goto to get to the end or spot where you want you can avoid 're-reading' a book. What would you want the plugin to do?

The main issue is that the mbp format is not fully known. There are some sites/attempts to document it - but modifying it could potentially mess up the file and lose your notes, etc. So I'm not certain it would be safe, although I might look at what is available for it.
The issue for me is to use your method (as I currently do), you now have a different date than you actually read the book. I would like to be able to change that date from say today to September 9, 2010. I have no desire to change anything other than the date. As it is now I have to reopen the books to get the fully read status, and on the ones with notes/highlights I have to go back to their locations to re-mark them. Luckily I know what the info is because when I finish reading a book, I re-convert them back to mobi and use the feature to add the comments info to the first page of the book, so that I always have that info readily available whether I have the mbp or not.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #146
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by drMerry View Post

Yes please. I'd very much appriciate having some author info - at least birth/deathdate, picture, pen-names - on easy reach. Great idea!
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #147
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An idea for a plugin: save original filename

Could it be possible to save original filename somewhere when adding books? Second tab in metadata has lots of room...

I started new library because it was too bothersome to tell which pdf is which, now I add them only after reading (if one pdf has many mistakes, I convert another).
I realize that it is most helpful for those just starting with Calibre and they have enough to learn without plugins; on the same time knowing original filename allows to find it and maybe reduces griping about how Calibre stores its files.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #148
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
Could it be possible to save original filename somewhere when adding books? Second tab in metadata has lots of room...

I started new library because it was too bothersome to tell which pdf is which, now I add them only after reading (if one pdf has many mistakes, I convert another).
I realize that it is most helpful for those just starting with Calibre and they have enough to learn without plugins; on the same time knowing original filename allows to find it and maybe reduces griping about how Calibre stores its files.
You could create a custom column to do this.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #149
travger
Evangelist

But I have no idea how to get filename into it without copy/paste. I'm wishing for Calibre to fill it in during 'add books'. That info is something that I don't need/want to see all the time - only when I go looking for it.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #150
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@travger - I'm afraid the only way I can think of doing this as a plugin would mean you would have to use the plugin exclusively when you add books. So no more drag/dropping formats onto the book details pane, library view or edit metadata dialogs, no more using the built-in toolbar button, no using copy to library etc. I think that is too limiting to be something of general interest. If it was going to be implemented it really needs imho to be in the core Calibre add code, which means you would need to raise a feature request via the bug tracker.

Maybe some signal could be implemented which could be hooked into from a plugin, but again that is a core calibre change.

Tags
chatbot, epub fix, epub-fix, google books, metadata calibre title, pdf, pdf and calibre, plugin development