Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #121
atpaine
atpaine began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Sony Reader Software & Atom Processors

I have been a happy user of both my Sony Reader and an Acer Aspire netbook. I cannot fathom why they would update the software where it won't run on a netbook but that is what Sony has done.

I have tried every conceivable solution to get the new software to run on my netbook, all to no avail. Now I have to bring it to a separate computer at work to be able to use my Sony Reader.

I can run World of Warcraft on my Netbook. It is just nuts that the Sony Reader software requires at least a Celeron Processor to run.
atpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #122
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Well this problem finally hit me today (not that I use the Sony Reader often, it's been several months since I last started it up, I use Calibre). Start the Reader software and I'd get the momentary wait icon and then nothing. Bringing up the Windows Task Manager would show the Reader Library program as running though and I'd have to forcefully close it from that window.

Uninstalled and reinstalled it, no change. Found the post with the DEF workaround by aspweb (post #44 by aspweb), made the change for WinXP, no change, still wouldn't start.

Then followed the directions in post #111 by Cxrman in this thread about deleting certain system files. Since I had already tried uninstalling/reinstalling, I just deleted the files mentioned in that post, reinstalled the Sony Reader without uninstalling, and that worked perfectly to fix the problem, it now starts up as it should.

Thank you, Cxrman, for posting that solution.

Edit: I should also mention that I'm running the newest software version, 3.3, so even though this thread is several months old, the solution is still the best one.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 04-24-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #123
Andor Nightelf
Andor Nightelf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
FWIW, I just finished fixing the same problem on a Win7 system. Rather than delete all of the files listed in post #111, all I had to do was rename the subdirectory C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation\Reader\v

I renamed the directory "v" to "badv" and the reader software started right up. FWIW, it didn't even create a fresh "v" directory for itself. Evidently, something there was corrupt but apparently unnecessary.

Aargh. If you're reading this and this helps, I'm glad to have saved you the heartaches we've been through.
Andor Nightelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #124
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andor Nightelf View Post
FWIW, I just finished fixing the same problem on a Win7 system. Rather than delete all of the files listed in post #111, all I had to do was rename the subdirectory C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation\Reader\v

I renamed the directory "v" to "badv" and the reader software started right up. FWIW, it didn't even create a fresh "v" directory for itself. Evidently, something there was corrupt but apparently unnecessary.

Aargh. If you're reading this and this helps, I'm glad to have saved you the heartaches we've been through.
I just went through this! I spent the last two days combing through MR for clues, I uninstalled & reinstalled, no good. Uninstalled, shutdown, restarted & reinstalled, still no joy. Finally, late last night I saw the mention of removing the Kinoma folders on Win7. I waited til morning (OK, early afternoon!) and searched high and low for them , found & deleted 'em, uninstalled Reader Library then did a shutdown & restart. Next came a moment of prayer and finger crossing as I reinstalled Reader Library and voilà! There it was returned to it's proper appearance

MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad, experience, software, sony