Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #16
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Kindle Touch and PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post

Does it run faster? I have Vista and my computer runs very slow most of the time. Right now, it's running fast but there are times where even using the internet is a drag. The pages load slow or become unresponsive and we have high speed internet.
Yes! way much ...

I want to respect the thread's topic, but there are two main reasons why is faster:

-VISTA needs about 500MB for Os only vs 180MB that Lubuntu uses
-There is no disk fragmentation on Linux, so after several months of years, Lubuntu is still fast. Windows is so fragmented that is a real pain, slow.

PM me and I will help/you explain you better ....
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #17
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Nexus 7 (2013). Wife Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post

Does it run faster? I have Vista and my computer runs very slow most of the time. Right now, it's running fast but there are times where even using the internet is a drag. The pages load slow or become unresponsive and we have high speed internet.
What's the specs? Vista was installed frequently on boxes that couldn't quite handle it. Win7 runs a lot better on lower end hardware than Vista ever did.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #18
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Kindle Touch and PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
What's the specs? Vista was installed frequently on boxes that couldn't quite handle it. Win7 runs a lot better on lower end hardware than Vista ever did.
Still, Linux uses less resources and is faster.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #19
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I have an eee pc from 2009 (I think) and have been really happy with it for my minimal needs. I don't use it daily, but it does have good battery life, even now. If you plan to use the netbook for simple word processing or reading, I think it should work fine. I did upgrade to 2GB of ram and to windows 7 home premium.

If it is going to be your only computer for school, I would also recommend investing in a larger monitor and a separate keyboard (and a mouse) to use at your desk - it's a matter of seconds to plug these in...and having a large monitor to work from (and a full sized keyboard) when you can will make you much more productive and much less frustrated.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:07 AM   #20
Webcertain
Webcertain began at the beginning.

Device: none
I agree with ofey. I think Dell's netbook (www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-mini-netbooks) is exactly what you need. It's light and has a long battery life so should serve you well in daily internet browsing needs.
Webcertain is offline   Reply With Quote