Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #106
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Updated first post as an index

I've replaced my own first post on this thread with an index to the various plugin ideas found within it. Hopefully people may find it useful to see what has been suggested in the past without reading every page again.

Click here

Last edited by kiwidude; 04-10-2011 at 11:42 AM.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #107
garcle
Connoisseur
garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@garcle - Kovid has accepted a patch of mine for Calibre which will display a different icon for the Connect/Share menu option on the toolbar when you are running content server (the three balls go green instead of their blue default). There is no way to get the count of connected users. So hopefully that should suit your purpose without requiring a plugin. It will be available in the next Calibre release (0.7.55).
Brilliant idea .. thanks Kiwidude !!
garcle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #108
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Not sure if there's a legitimate (as far as Amazon is concerned) use for this, but a plugin that enables Text to Speech on non-TTS flagged books would be nice.

If it's not considered legitimate, I guess it would have to then be hosted off-site.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #109
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Morse View Post
Not sure if there's a legitimate (as far as Amazon is concerned) use for this, but a plugin that enables Text to Speech on non-TTS flagged books would be nice.

If it's not considered legitimate, I guess it would have to then be hosted off-site.
AFAIK this doesn't need a special plugin. Just convert your book to MOBI using Calibre. Certainly it works on any books that I have tried it on that haven't come from Amazon but have been converted by Calibre.

Last edited by kiwidude; 04-10-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Add quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #110
Loeffel
Connoisseur
Loeffel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Perhaps I missed it, but is there an option/plugin to use the option "set cover from marked book as cover" (hope it is named that way in english) to use on a row of marked books?
If not an option like searching for an ISBN would be useful, where the order of the files types to be searched is taken by the input format.
An own order would be better, because I personally would prefer to use the cover from PDF but my prefered input order is mobi/epub, because why transfer a pdf into an ebook format, when you already have one. ;-)
Loeffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #111
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Sorry Loeffel, you have completely lost me. However I would suggest both to you and others that asking questions about Calibre functionality first and foremost should be in the main forums. This thread should be just for people posting an ideas for a plugin where they are confident the functionality does not already exist. If you are in doubt, the main forums are the place to ask - more people will see your question to be able to help, and this thread will not become too busy with just general "stuff".

Now it may be that as the result of your particular question someone suggests a plugin would be the best approach, in which case a post here is appropriate, but that should only happen after you have explored the other options. You certainly aren't the first to ask similar questions on this thread so I hope I don't sound like I am picking on you - this message is for anyone who reads this thread.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 AM   #112
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@idolse - the diff viewer plugin idea sounds interesting but I shall leave it to you or someone else to implement it should they want to. I usually just do a quick visual scan in the ebook viewer to compare versions of a book, I haven't had the need to go quite as far as using a diff viewer but I can understand what you are looking for. In answer to your question, absolutely a plugin can launch an external app with command line arguments, tthat is exactly what the "Open With" plugin does...
Cool, I've gone through your code, I think I can copy pieces of the ExtractISBN plugin and the Open With plugin and whip something together fairly easily. I'll give it a shot.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #113
Loeffel
Connoisseur
Loeffel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
I have explored Calibre and the Calibre help, I just wrote it to make sure I haven't missed something. If you think it should be somewhere else, please move it to the appropriate section, I never mind.
Perhaps I will have a look at Phython and the plugin engine of Calibre, then I will write it by my own. I don't think so, but it doesn't matters. Thanks anyway.
Loeffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #114
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Loeffel - there is no issue at all with you asking a question, it is just that if you posted it on it's own thread in the general forum you will get more responses. It may be that there are alternative ways of doing what you want without having to write a plugin, but you will get a lot more suggestions if you post such a question as your own thread rather than inside this one.

I don't understand what it is that you are trying to do from your explanation, but rather than having 10 posts about it in this thread going back and forth trying to understand what you want I think it is a better discussion to have elsewhere.

As for moving your posts, last time I did that you missed what I had done and posted back into this same thread . So just start a new thread in the main Calibre forum, post your question again with a bit more detail if possible and see what happens.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #115
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Get and store "Kindle Desktop" mbp file

I use Kindle for Mac (desktop) and Kindle app (iPad). I can retrieve the mbp file from the iPad using usb/iTunes.

What I need is is a way to store A COPY of this mbp file within Calbre. This in case the originals are deleted from the Kindle lib on the Mac. If there is no mbp file in the Kindle library then Calibre should copy it's version of the mbp to the Kindle lib.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #116
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
I use Kindle for Mac (desktop) and Kindle app (iPad). I can retrieve the mbp file from the iPad using usb/iTunes.

What I need is is a way to store A COPY of this mbp file within Calbre. This in case the originals are deleted from the Kindle lib on the Mac. If there is no mbp file in the Kindle library then Calibre should copy it's version of the mbp to the Kindle lib.
I am not sure how they are on the mac or ipad app, but the mbp files are not interchangeable on the kindle for pc and kindle. At least they are not on my machine, they only work with the device they were created with. It is because of this limitation that I use the Fetch Annotations feature to download the data, so I will still have it if I should lose the mbp or I want to update the data to the kindle for pc files.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #117
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I am not sure how they are on the mac or ipad app, but the mbp files are not interchangeable on the kindle for pc and kindle. At least they are not on my machine, they only work with the device they were created with. It is because of this limitation that I use the Fetch Annotations feature to download the data, so I will still have it if I should lose the mbp or I want to update the data to the kindle for pc files.
I've done this several times. The mbp files work fine when transferred from iPad to Mac and vice-versa. I will be verifying this a lot more as this is the only plan I have to work with, keeping one "central" mbp file to move along with the mobi. If I find ANY example of this not working I will append to this post. I will continue to test.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #118
1611mac
eWanderer

As info.. it appears that the iPad mbp must be created first. Notes, highlights, and bookmark were made on iPad, mbp copied to Kindle on iMac and all was fine. Added more notes, highlights, and bookmarks on Mac Desktop, copied back to iPad and updates were reflected perfectly.

However, an mbp CREATED while reading on the desktop DID NOT work when coped to the iPad. Interesting... iPad created file works back and forth... Mac created file does not. I'm going to examine the files and to see what is different.

Will also quit posting here cause I'm way off topic for this forum.

Last edited by 1611mac; 04-14-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #119
telemetrics
telemetrics began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
Lightbulb [Plugin Request] Publish Plugin

I think it will be great if we could have a 'Publish' button on the toolbar.
This should ask the user where they would want to publish and then upload/publish the ebooks.

Possible Targets to Publish:
1. HTTP POST URL
2. HTTP PUT URL
3. FTP UPLOAD
4. As a WordPress Blog Entry (Additionally have an XSLT to transform book xml to body HTML)
5. As a Drupal / Joomla Article (Additionally Have an XSLT to transform book xml to body HTML)
6. GoogleDocs
7. Other Cloud Services
telemetrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #120
telemetrics
telemetrics began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
Lightbulb [Plugin Request] Archive / Collaboration / Remote Storage Plugin

A good idea will be to use FTP/HTTP/GoogleDocs as a Collaboration / Archieve / Remote storage. Everytime a file is added locally Caliber should queue up an upload to the Archieve / Collab location. And also Caliber should monitor the Remote Storage perodically and automatically queue a download. These should be seemless experience to the user.
telemetrics is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chatbot, epub fix, epub-fix, google books, metadata calibre title, pdf, pdf and calibre, plugin development