Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm not sure, but I would be very surprised if that is not the case.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:18 PM   #17
Coleccionista
Connoisseur
Coleccionista began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I don't have much experience but a couple of ePUB -> Mobi conversion look almost identical, one little difference is that Mobi loses the TOC hierarchy (Titles/Subtitles) and so the ePUB TOC is a tree but the MOBI Toc is flattened, other than that they look identical (as seen on calibre viewer)
Coleccionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #18
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Using the Kindle browser you can download directly to the home page from the Calibre server. It works really well, with the exception that the new K3 browser pops up the cover/description as soon as you click on the mobi link (that doesn't happen in Safari). It's simple enough to clear, but a tad annoying - it didn't happen on the K2/K1 browsers.

You can also push content to the K3 using Calibre/email - it's free over wifi.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #19
zra
zra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
A question for which I have not found a clear answer - can the Kindle 3 download books directly from the Calibre Content Server (i.e. over WiFi/3G). I know it can do it via USB or email but I am interested in being able to pick up a book on-demand from Calibre when on the move and away from my PC?
I just tried it with my kindle 3 Wi-Fi, FWIW I just discovered one way in which it's not better than my kindle 2, entering IP addresses. Anyway back to your question, the Caliber content server shows up fine, when I click on a link for something in .mobi format the browser offers to download it to the kindle so it will be available for later viewing. I have not tried it with an non-kindle native file yet.

Hope this helps you out.
zra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #20
Arthursbedtime
Enthusiast
Arthursbedtime doesn't litterArthursbedtime doesn't litter

Device: kobo
Have an eReader for libraries, like nook or kobo, and a Kindle 3 for everything else.
Arthursbedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #21
uncola
uncola began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2 soon
I just got my kindle 3 today.. the screen is fantastic and so much better than the kindle 1 I had. the blacks are so inky I thought it was a sticker on the screen and not the actual display. one thing I noticed is that sometimes when converting books the left margin is too big.. and the text starts about 2 inches to the right of the left side of the screen. I have the output set to kindle 1, 2, 3 so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.. it happened when I converted from an html file but it didn't happen when I converted from epub
uncola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #22
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post
one thing I noticed is that sometimes when converting books the left margin is too big.. and the text starts about 2 inches to the right of the left side of the screen. I have the output set to kindle 1, 2, 3 so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.. it happened when I converted from an html file but it didn't happen when I converted from epub
The epub has a left margin in it and that is getting interpreted by mobi as supersized. The easiest way is to edit the epub's CSS file, find the offending left margin and revalue it to zero. You can do this in Sigil or by opening it with tweak-epub and editing the css with something like Notepad++.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #23
tommet
tommet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 300, Iphone 4
FWIW, I can't currently get the content server to work with the kindle 3. I see the web page, but when I click on the download, I get get a download prompt, but it never happens. E-mail to kindle works fine, and USB works fine. Just wish the content server worked.
tommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #24
darthzep
darthzep began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
kindle 3 problems. ? maybe?

Moderator Notice
This post copied to a new thread - see and reply to it here:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128085

I just got a kindle (I think it's a 3), trying to use calibre to connect/manage, but it's not showing up/being detected. under the advanced/debug tab, I find:

['0x1949', '0x4', '0x100', 'Amazon', 'Amazon Kindle', 'B008A0A011221HJ6']]
Looking for HANLINV3
Looking for HANLINV5
Looking for BLACKBERRY
Looking for KINDLE2
Looking for PRS700
Looking for PRS500
Looking for ANDROID
Looking for N770
Looking for N810
Looking for COOL_ER
Looking for ESLICK
Looking for NUUT2
Looking for IRIVER_STORY
Looking for GER2
Looking for ITALICA
Looking for ECLICTO
Looking for DBOOK
Looking for INVESBOOK
Looking for BOOX
Looking for BOOQ
Looking for EB600
Looking for README
Looking for N516
Looking for EB511
Devices possibly connected: None

If I read all this correctly, Linux sees the Kindle just fine, but Calibre looks for a different tag for the device(?) is there a nice way I can update/change/remap this Device?

Last edited by Piper_; 04-03-2011 at 01:21 AM.
darthzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #25
hrynkiw
Connoisseur
hrynkiw doesn't litterhrynkiw doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, iPad
Yes, you can download to your Kindle3 from your Calibre server via wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
A question for which I have not found a clear answer - can the Kindle 3 download books directly from the Calibre Content Server (i.e. over WiFi/3G). I know it can do it via USB or email but I am interested in being able to pick up a book on-demand from Calibre when on the move and away from my PC?
Yes, I am able to download books from my Calibre server to my Kindle 3 via my local network wifi connection. My spouse is a high-security wonk though, so my server is not available beyond the range of our private wifi.

Point your Kindle 3 browser at your Calibre server's IP address. The server will deliver a list of available books as clickable links. Click on the book you want to download.

BTW: IIRC, this quote from the documentation -- "Some devices, like the Kindle (1/2/DX), do not allow you to access port 8080 (the default port on which the content server runs. In that case, change the port in the calibre Preferences to 80." does not apply to my Kindle 3. Port 8080 works fine.

I can take a look at my settings when I get home tonight and confirm if anyone is interested.
hrynkiw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindle 3