Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #76
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Thanks for all the advice everyone! So I decided to get a Nook since it's cheaper than the Sonys and still does what I want it to do (allow me to read library books on no glare e-ink screen). I need to save money. I actually got a Nook and a nice Jack Spade cover that was 75% off for the same price of the Sony 350.

I sideloaded an epub from Mobileread as well as a library book. Now that I have been playing around with the Nook, I like it a lot. It's a little heavier than the Sonys or even the Kindle (I played with one in Target yesterday) but it works well. The touchscreen hasn't given me any issues. It's intuitive to use. It's easy to read in bed and much easier to read than a paperback. In other words, I love it! In the future when I get more money (hopefully), I'll get a Sony (because they are truly great machines) but I am enjoying the NOOK right now. It's great!

Last edited by faithbw; 03-24-2011 at 08:58 AM.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #77
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Congrats! Enjoy your Nook
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #78
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Congrats! Enjoy your Nook
Thanks!
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #79
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
Why do folks make such a big deal about simply hooking up the USB to transfer e-books?

I agree that this might have some value if you have books on a device that doesn't support a standard USB storage device interface, like some smart phones, where you just can't work it any other way, but other than that, for most of us who were born with opposable thumbs, it's really not that big of deal to plug in a simple USB cable.
I can answer this one . Some people are lazy .

I leave my kindle all over the house, and I manage my ebook collection on my laptop or desktop (both on a wifi network), both of which are in my bedroom.

When it comes time to add books to my kindle, it's often not in my bedroom. So, I email them to my free.kindle.com account and when I toddle across the house to my kindle and turn it on, a quick sync and I'm ready to go.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #80
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Same here for the wifi. I don't shop with my K3 wifi, but use if for file transfer. I only sideload books that are too large to send via email. I think that's only happened once thus far.

I shop for ebooks on my computer. Books I get from Amazon I just send directly to the K3. Books I get from any other store or the library are imported to Calibre and then in one step are converted to mobi and emailed to my K3.

Could I get by without wifi? Sure I could. I could also get by without an EBR too. But I find wifi to be incredibly convenient. And I love the convenience of an EBR.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #81
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
Thanks for all the advice everyone! So I decided to get a Nook since it's cheaper than the Sonys and still does what I want it to do (allow me to read library books on no glare e-ink screen). I need to save money. I actually got a Nook and a nice Jack Spade cover that was 75% off for the same price of the Sony 350.

I sideloaded an epub from Mobileread as well as a library book. Now that I have been playing around with the Nook, I like it a lot. It's a little heavier than the Sonys or even the Kindle (I played with one in Target yesterday) but it works well. The touchscreen hasn't given me any issues. It's intuitive to use. It's easy to read in bed and much easier to read than a paperback. In other words, I love it! In the future when I get more money (hopefully), I'll get a Sony (because they are truly great machines) but I am enjoying the NOOK right now. It's great!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #82
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Congratulations on your Nook. I like mine even though I also have a Sony. I got the Nook last July & have been happy with it. I bought my Sony prs 350 a few months ago when it was on sale for $129. I love it & do prefer to read with it if I'm reading for long periods.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook, sony, wi-fi