Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #586
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by FethryDuck View Post
..ok, but the usbnetwork is one of the objectives now ? I have not been able to establish any connection.
lsusb show me this: Bus 001 Device 013: ID 1949:0004 Lab126

What can I do to connect to it ? - I have not been able with the Duokan network files.

Added:
btw. Has the lack of screensaver function something to do with it as well ?
- help ! usbnetwork under Amazon no longer works !

Kindle version is: 3.0.2
usbnetwork v0.30.N
- I cannot telnet into it, and for some reason ssh no longer works with auth keys.
So ? I cannot get in, it seems.
Tried with some hardware, but without pw, all I get is what is printed to tty....

Did a restart - but did not manage to capture it from that point. At the very end, I increased the volume, but there are no sound. ( is it the 'popen path error' that cause it not to play ? )

Attached file captured.txt

hmm....how do I get in...

-------------- Update ------------
set debugging, and surprise -
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0525:a4a2 Netchip Technology, Inc. Linux-USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget
ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.1
telnet: connect to address 192.168.0.1: Connection refused
( in fact, it crashed the connection a couple of times )
ssh 192.168.0.1
root@192.168.0.1's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
( yup, - darn thing, but else.. step forward )
Attach debug.log

btw. Yes, I repeated the same tasks - trying to play a song, increase volume...
-------------- Update 2 ------------
tried the regular Amazon.. and then
ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.1
telnet: connect to address 192.168.0.1: Connection refused
ssh 192.168.0.1
...and password again..

hmm... suggestions ?

( have they set some general firewall stuff ?? )

-------------- Update 3 ------------

hmm..what am I doing ?

@savy1980: what is the objective here ?
- I have tried to get in, but the purpose here may be to get out ?
- I am not at all sure, that is why I try to get in. Somewhere I saw some
suggested ftp server meant to run on the Kindle. Else, if you go to bookstore,
- should it use this usb-network instead of the wifi ?

hmm... how should I route traffic across the PC, if that is the idea..?
( ..I am a network illiterate..)

-------------- Update 4 ------------

- the missing sound is probably just a path error for the "play" function, as it has found
and listed the artist.

- As I did get connectivity, I decided to attempt using it under Windows:

There is a New and an Old version of usb networking. Have struggled with google and.. The files are missing
characters, as I lack Chinese fonts, most likely. ( later when I have a working system, I may try the original driver programs and get it in English )

It set the UsbNet/Kindle to 192.168.177.1 - but Windows will reassign it, for example to 192.168.0.1 - and then it set the internet connection as a share - and route the traffic. ( guess iptable nat ?something .. can do it )

If you go to the "Store" in the menu, it will ask to turn on Wifi, which has been blocked or set to manual, in order to test something on the usbnetwork. However, with internet connection over usb, it did not seem to do anything.

Version seem to block telnet, and perhaps other things. And it did not seem to switch usb-state, which might have been the main objective here.
Attached Files
File Type: txt captured.txt (16.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: txt DK_Debug_log.txt (4.1 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by FethryDuck; 03-22-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: update, update2,update3,update4
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #587
Ruslan
Ruslan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Thanks for your hard work and for sharing!

Last I checked out duokan, the reader had no font kerning. I mean, each letter takes up a fixed amount of space. It made the text, in English anyway, much less pleasant to read. Is that still the case?
Quote:
I think you're speaking about a monospaced font (which, I guess, makes sense on CJK glyphs). I imagine there's a way to change the font, in order to use a proper Serif or Sans font.
Anybody know how to fix this for Russian?
Ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #588
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruslan View Post
Anybody know how to fix this for Russian?
Not sure, - one of the images in the following should be Russian...
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=524

Duokan has improved some European languages in ".txt" file, utf-8 encoding. You may convert some ebooks with Calibre to text, and try.

Over time we hope these things will be solved, but as we have been told, things depend on available resources.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #589
Ruslan
Ruslan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
The 1-st. Russian txt files are shown by Chinese hieroglyphs So to read txt I have to use amason firmware, it is of course a little problem, but the main is that doc files look this way http://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...9&d=1300108803 instead of like here http://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...0&d=1300108803 so its very inconvenient to read doc files by duokan and i had to convert doc and read it by the same amazon firmware.
Also smart pdf does not work with Russian pdfs, it works only with English files.
This mean that for Russian speaking people Duokan is usable only for reading djvu on Kindle
Ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #590
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruslan View Post
The 1-st. Russian txt files are shown by Chinese hieroglyphs
I tried to convert epub with Calibre - actually, the source have some missing characters due to some old Russian.. but anyway - the first is Duokan, the second a screenshot of FBReader on a computer. ( yes, I had fbkindle, but not right now, but I think it will be close to the computer image on the right )

I would try fbkindle, as I don't know when Duokan would try to improve this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rus_w.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	68827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-33.png
Views:	109
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	68828  
Old 03-23-2011, 05:15 AM   #591
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sichroteph View Post
Well as a french reader I can't agree more.
But if we were the developers, maybe we have to admit that the chinese caracters would not be at the top of our priorities.

What is strange to me, is how complex it is to code a music player, compared to characters codes, so basic. I just don't believe these problems are hard to fix.
If only it was opensource we could change these faulty code lines.

I hope Duokan will inspire new coders from US/Europe to start their own UI.
But Duokan is really really close to be perfect, I am pretty sure it is a matter of weeks to be solve.
Well for me it is, I don't listen to music, I don't buy Amazon books, and I make my books in PDF, with the font and size I want. (tooks me like 5mn for a book I will read for days)
Well, when I first translated and made my "English" version, I did reckon it was some opensource project. There is a violation here, and after all, even Amazon had to release some of the source. And in my view, a world wide community in which we can exchange views, history, culture, language - we all have much to gain.

I did propose "YoCan" reader
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1221315
- it could probably use FBReader. and I did a Norwegian menu version of it, but got too hooked into Duokan, as how should one tackle Asian languages.

And they had a slogan: "read more - make more friends" - perhaps early google translation So ? I thought this did seem very nice: children all around may read, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Spanish, Russian, Tamil, Swahili, .. and we have our common world inheritage to look after, project Gutenberg and such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sichroteph View Post
What is strange to me, is how complex it is to code a music player, compared to characters codes, so basic.
No, in fact - it is difficult as it will force us to work together ! And this is really difficult because of all the character-code pages involved. For Europe it is easy. For Asia it is more difficult. And for us to share and exchange - well, I think "We/You can".

Now, there are enough resources here to patch together another reader, with all the functions of Duokan + much more. But actually, we would like Stardict ( have used it for years ), and of course - in our global village - we would like to be able to look up and learn more about each other. As you said - "But Duokan is really really close..." - my view too.

I have proposed a multi-page-kind of reader for Duokan, with cut/paste between languages, etc.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=554
..as I would like it, and perhaps we may see it ?

Personally, if I can choose - I am going to have my OpenSource reader - even Amazon is cautious, I think.

So, in one way or the other... I choose to hope for some "people's friendly reader"

maybe I still believe in ..

Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #592
joiho
joiho began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FethryDuck View Post
ok, then... but... ?

"本次修复的Bug:" does this mean bug fixed or as google sometimes say, "
The restoration of the Bug :" - like:

These are the actual bugs scheduled in the current release to be tested and worked on ?

or

- what am I to strike out
"本次修复的Bug:" just means "bug fixed".
joiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #593
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joiho View Post
"本次修复的Bug:" just means "bug fixed".
OK - the light went out ! which leaves this one:

A lot of times, what is then said to be "fixed" is not - or side effects appear.
In this particular case, the list mention:

7. Restoration plug USB , display cleaning WIFI environment.

They lack references to the actual bug-reports, so this is not so easy to figure out. Anyway, it did not work as it should.

Then there are something else: - they have more then one version they alternately work on it seems. ( it made me wonder some ..)

thanks
Old 03-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #594
darkofday
Enthusiast
darkofday began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Hi,everyone!
I'm chinese and have fond the topic here through google.I think I can help you in with the language problem.
To FetheryDuck:
"本次修复的Bug:"means fixed bugs in the latest version.
Actually,the Duokan os is not a pure opensource software.As far as I know,Duokan team is invested by a company.They have began their commercial actions by implying their os on a e-ink device which called "百看".So,I think they won't change the Duokan os to an opensource software.But surely that they will provide the update of the os to all kindle devices for free.
To the language problem to the os you consern about,things are getting better and better.As you have seen,language balk is a big problem(if there are any mistakes in the spelling or grammer I used,i will be happy if someone can figure it out so that I can improve my English).The proceeding will be slow.
darkofday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #595
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkofday View Post
Hi,everyone!
I'm chinese and have fond the topic here through google.I think I can help you in with the language problem.
To FetheryDuck:
"本次修复的Bug:"means fixed bugs in the latest version.
Actually,the Duokan os is not a pure opensource software.As far as I know,Duokan team is invested by a company.They have began their commercial actions by implying their os on a e-ink device which called "百看".So,I think they won't change the Duokan os to an opensource software.But surely that they will provide the update of the os to all kindle devices for free.
To the language problem to the os you consern about,things are getting better and better.As you have seen,language balk is a big problem(if there are any mistakes in the spelling or grammer I used,i will be happy if someone can figure it out so that I can improve my English).The proceeding will be slow.
Your English is as good as mine - but your Chinese is better

Yes, the in utf-8, there has been improvement. In fact, those things I have found and reported, has been worked on. Thank you, Duokan ! -but I have some grave concerns as it is not compatible with the standards. I believe there is a lot of work in order to get some of the Chinese/Asian languages covered, and our problems does not have priority right now.

The "open source" issue is understandable, but never the less some issue. There are different models. Amazon have some agreement with Microsoft for example. It is complicated.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #596
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:

They have began their commercial actions by implying their os on a e-ink device which called "百看".
What would be a good translation ? Does it have 2 colors ?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #597
darkofday
Enthusiast

"They have began their commercial actions by implying their os on a e-ink device which called "百看".-----imply---->apply,it's a spelling mistake.
Actually,"百看" means similar with "多看"(Duokan).The device("百看") supports 16-step gray scale the same as kindle.But it seems that the os in "百看" is not as good as kindle either Duokan.I means "百看" supports fewer formats and updated very slowly(of course it has fewer bugs).As the Duokan team said in their forum,"百看" is a commercial product and it's software standards are much more strict.They have to take much more test than Duokan and need more time to communicate with Aigo(the company the device "百看" belong to) to give updates for the os.

Another issue,compare to Chinese/Asian languages support,English or other languages has lower priority.I think the reason is that they have to do much to meet Chinese users' requirement and be busy to provide updates every week----many bugs report and new features raised in their forum everyday.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #598
Caleb666
Connoisseur
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
Quote:
Another issue,compare to Chinese/Asian languages support,English or other languages has lower priority.I think the reason is that they have to do much to meet Chinese users' requirement and be busy to provide updates every week----many bugs report and new features raised in their forum everyday.
That may well be true, but supporting Western languages is not as hard as supporting Asian languages.
All they have to do is fix these language bugs in the core once and for all and then they can focus on adding new features and fixing other bugs.

As long as these language bugs are in Duokan, new features are pretty useless to many people because they can't even read their books properly.
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #599
darkofday
Enthusiast

Yes,you are right,they should support Western languages.My advice is that we should let Duokan team hear the voice of Western languages users.The Duokan didn't support English UI before, but now they support few other languages include English.I guess they heard the demand from some English users(I know communication between English and Chinese is a big problem,the same for Duokan team).
I will help you with the language problem.I will try to post comments to their offical forums about the Western langeages supporting.If anyone want me to do some translation,I will be happy to do.
I will send my email address to FethryDuck and Caleb666 so that I can recieve your messages via my cellphone without using my computer.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #600
bndrummo
bndrummo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
One change I would really like to see is that case-insensitive searching. Perhaps this is only a problem with Western languages but it would be nice to have a search for 'language' also return 'Language' and 'LANGUAGE'. darkofday, if you could pass that on I'd be must grateful.
bndrummo is offline   Reply With Quote