Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-26-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The Original Beginner's Guide to Kindle Content

UPDATE:The Amazon Kindle has been out for over a year. Now is a good time to update this beginner's guide to content.
  1. First things first: Kindle Edition e-books are only slightly different from DRM'ed Mobipocket e-books. If not for the DRM, the Kindle would be just another Mobipocket e-reader. You need to know this, otherwise you might be puzzled by the following.

2. Mobipocket Desktop 6.0 will recognize the Kindle as a reading device, and synchronize your e-books and RSS feeds correctly. This is important because Mobipocket disabled this feature in next version of the Desktop software (6.1), where the Kindle is no longer recognized as a reader device but only as a USB drive. You can download Mobipocket Desktop 6.0 here. A note of caution: If you already have a later version of Mobipocket Desktop, you will need to uninstall it first. Be careful though. If you are using the current installation to support your existing DRM'ed Mobipocket e-books, you will need to re-download them after you reinstall the older Mobipocket software. If you can't download your e-books again for whatever reason, you perhaps shouldn't uninstall the existing software.

EDIT: You can also use calibre to support your Kindle. Calibre runs natively on XP, OSX, and Linux. It is better than MobiDesktop in every way. You can download it here.

3. There are over 34k newsfeeds available through Mobipocket Desktop. The process is simple to set up; you select the feeds, and set them to be downloaded onto your device. Downloading the feeds to your Kindle is automatic. Click here for a partial list of feeds that have full articles attached.

EDIT: Calibre can also download newsfeeds, as well as an entire day's content of a news website like the NY Times.

4. Because the Kindle and Mobipocket e-book formats are basically identical, it is possible to buy an e-book in Mobipocket and (with some work) load it onto your Kindle. However, I currently know of only two retailers where you can officially do this (if you want to know why, click here). These are Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard. It may also work at your local library, if it offers Mobipocket e-books.

There are several steps required. The first is to tell the retailer the PID of your Kindle. If you have Mobipocket Desktop 6.0 installed, you can find the Kindle's PID under the reading devices menu. Next, you need to download igorsk's hack (<<direct download link removed>>, and a python interpreter. For more information, click here. If you have trouble, ask for help here.

5. One neat feature of the Kindle is its ability to download e-books from the Internet directly onto your device. Feedbooks has an e-book guide full of links to free e-books. Personally I think it's one of the best sites on the Internet. You can download the guide here and learn more here. Munsey's is another site with excellent quality content. They also have a mobile version of their site here.

EDIT: At the beginning of February, Amazon added around 7k free public domain ebooks to the Kindle store.The ebooks you will find through the links I provided above are much better quality.
  6. This last part is about my preferred e-book format, Microsoft .LIT (Microsoft Reader). I prefer this format because it lets me protect my e-book investment. While I certainly won't explain how to strip DRM, I will say that to convert your purchased .LIT e-books, you need to download and install two components: ConvertLIT and Mobipocket Creator. When you run ConvertLIT, it will explode the .LIT file into its single parts. After this you need to click on the OPF file; Mobipocket Creator should open automatically. Then all you have to do is click on "make the book". The output will be a nearly perfect conversion.

P.S. There are a few things I left out, like the Kindle Easter Eggs. But I think I included enough to get a beginner off to a good start!

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 03-10-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: direct download link removed
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
You are a great man. I wish you wrote it earlier. You basically summarized all the tricked I learned in the past two weeks since I got my kindle...

Highly recommend for the newbie.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
*extra karma points for Nate* ... you can do it too if you like his tutorial
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
If all you want is the RSS feeds, you may want to look into installing the OLD "Mobipocket Web Companion". It was part of the Reader install before 5.0,which is still available on the Mobipocket site. It will do RSS feeds nicely, as well as a lot of very nice newspapers snarfed directly. It can be configured to email this result to the Kindle. (Or you can run a batch script to move the stuff to the Kindle as a hard drive.)
slm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not part of 4.9. If you have a copy, I'd appreciate it if you'd post it here.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:59 AM   #6
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
If all you want is the RSS feeds, you may want to look into installing the OLD "Mobipocket Web Companion". It was part of the Reader install before 5.0,which is still available on the Mobipocket site. It will do RSS feeds nicely, as well as a lot of very nice newspapers snarfed directly. It can be configured to email this result to the Kindle. (Or you can run a batch script to move the stuff to the Kindle as a hard drive.)
I don't get the advantage of "Mobipocket Web Companion" over the currently eNews... Isn't eNews based on RSS as well?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:25 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

There would be an advantage if it could indeed email the file. It doesn't seem to be capable of emailing the file generated by the news feeds. Anyway, it's old and does less than
the current software.

If anyone wants to mess with it, I found it here:
http://www.tucows.com/preview/76800

P.S. For a 6 year old piece of software, it's not bad.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:57 AM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
You can also use the mobile version of Feedbooks on your Kindle: http://feedbooks.mobi

Not as convenient as the guide, but you can access some other features this way. For example, you can list the top downloaded books for a genre.

I'll add the possibility to sign in on the mobile version this week: this way you'll be able to leave comments about a book, or get a customized list of recommended books.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
lovebeta
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
You can also use the mobile version of Feedbooks on your Kindle: http://feedbooks.mobi

Not as convenient as the guide, but you can access some other features this way. For example, you can list the top downloaded books for a genre.

I'll add the possibility to sign in on the mobile version this week: this way you'll be able to leave comments about a book, or get a customized list of recommended books.
I just realized that you have the RSS->enewspaper service. Could you add mobipocket format? It would be a plus to provide auto email service to kindle too...

Last edited by lovebeta; 01-28-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
I just realized that you have the RSS->enewspaper service. Could you add mobipocket format? It would be a plus to provide auto email service to kindle too...
Yes we will add Mobipocket support, but I don't think we'll add email service. Instead it'll work like our guide/mobile website. Just open the file listing your RSS subscriptions, click on the link and you get the file on your Kindle.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Update

I just wanted to say that I've been informed of another source of Mobipocket format ebooks for the Kindle: Ebooks.com. It just checked myself; it accepts a Kindle PID. Also, we have at least one member who has loaded Mobipocket ebooks from his public library on to his Kindle.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #12
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My public library uses the OverDrive servers and I've successfully loaded books and opened them on my Kindle.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #13
Li Po
Li Po began at the beginning.

Device: KIndle
Did booksonboard forbade the Kindle PID?

I was buying a book from booksonboard.com. As I was trying to put in my PID in my account, it said that I had a invalid PID because of that *. Would anyone please let me know what did I do wrong? Or booksonboard simply stop accepting Kindle PID. I was buying a secure mobi(FR) type file, and was trying to setup a device in the FR device catagory. After downloading, I tried kindlefix on the file and got the message that the PID didn't match, that how I found out my PID was not allowed to be entered with the * character by booksonboard.
Li Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Delete the FR one, and try to register it as OD. It's the OD servers that allow the *.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
gladiator
gladiator began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi Nate,

Thanks for your pointers. I havent got the kindle yet but Ill most probably have it in my hand by next week, so I am researching about stuff ...

I wanted to ask you guys,

Is it possible to convert stuff I have bought from amazon into pdfs? I want to have them in my digital book archive next to my PDF files.

Thanks in advance
gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote