Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #31
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Bulk metadata edit does this now it allows the renaming of a large series quickly by just selecting the series in order before opening the metadata edit window.
Yeah I deliberately stayed away from mentioning the bulk metadata screen to edit series. I don't use it often enough to ever remember the right combination of settings to get it to do what I want, and inevitably end up with the series not starting at the number I want or other undesired behaviour. Also relying on the order of selection isn't exactly the most user friendly way to approach ordering since you have no visual feedback on what order it thinks you have. The .1 issue also kills it as a possibility for me too as I use that quite a lot for related short stories to a series.
Quote:
I also think the rest of your ideas sound good.
Thanks for the encouragement to you and ElizabethN. I'll let it percolate a while longer before I rush into it. In a perfect world some sort of web page scraping from FantasticFiction in conjunction available from this dialog could make it even more useful, but it's all just random ideas at this point to see if they appeal enough to others to justify the dev effort...
kiwidude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:17 AM   #32
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
This would be a good plugin.
I have another 'feature', as well as the left/right to add small increments, how about one feature to skip some numbers (for when you've got books missing and haven't got 'dummy' records) and then all subsequent numbers are adjusted as well.
Ahh yes, that had crossed my mind but I didn't mention it for not wanting to get into too much design detail for fear I would be embarassed by a deathly silence of lack of demand for the plugin at all...

The challenge I see with that particular feature (which I agree would be useful) is how to handle a user moving a row that they have locked/assigned a particular series number on.

You also have to handle the situation of a user moving "too many" rows before that assigned value such that the numbering overlaps. A visual warning on screen may suffice like an icon with a tooltip on such rows. Not insurmountable problems though - and as you have suggested a useful addition for those who don't create empty books.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #33
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
This would be a good plugin.
I have another 'feature', as well as the left/right to add small increments, how about one feature to skip some numbers (for when you've got books missing and haven't got 'dummy' records) and then all subsequent numbers are adjusted as well.
Ahh yes, that had crossed my mind but I didn't mention it for not wanting to get into too much design detail for fear I would be embarrassed by a deathly silence of lack of demand for the plugin at all...
This would be an excellent addition.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:53 AM   #34
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Moving files marked read on reader to a read folder

I use a custom column for marking books I have read. My reader uses folders and currently my folders are

Ebooks/{authors[0]}/{authors}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s} - {title}

now when I mark a book as read in calibre I want to be able to send it to

Ebooks/Read/{authors[0]}/{authors}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s} - {title}
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:40 AM   #35
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Mark book to be send to device on next connect

Hi Kiwidude,

First of all thanks for you currently slew of plugins, nice work!.

As the title suggests a plugin which would do that would be great for some people. Saw a question in the Frequently Asked Questions thread by ArmorDog and quite liked the idea.

Question was:
--
Is there a way to flag books to transfer when the reader is next connected?

Often, when working in Calibre, I don't have my reader hooked up. When I finish fixing up a book, I'd like to flag it to be copied to the reader when it's next connected.
--

I used something like it while I downloaded the NRC epub using a script and used a bit of python code to set the News flag for the imported epub. This has the effect that on next connect of my reader it was automatically sent to it.
This is the relevant line:
Code:
calibre-debug -c "from calibre.library import db; db=db(); from calibre.utils.config import prefs; ids = db.prefs.get('news_to_be_synced', []); ids.append(%id%); db.prefs.set('news_to_be_synced', ids)"
Where %id% is the id of the book that you want flagged.

Might have a try at it myself but you're free to grab the idea and beat me to it

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:59 AM   #36
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JvdW View Post
Hi Kiwidude,

First of all thanks for you currently slew of plugins, nice work!.
Thanks!
Quote:
As the title suggests a plugin which would do that would be great for some people. Saw a question in the Frequently Asked Questions thread by ArmorDog and quite liked the idea.

Question was:
--
Is there a way to flag books to transfer when the reader is next connected?

Often, when working in Calibre, I don't have my reader hooked up. When I finish fixing up a book, I'd like to flag it to be copied to the reader when it's next connected.
--

I used something like it while I downloaded the NRC epub using a script and used a bit of python code to set the News flag for the imported epub. This has the effect that on next connect of my reader it was automatically sent to it.
This is the relevant line:
Code:
calibre-debug -c "from calibre.library import db; db=db(); from calibre.utils.config import prefs; ids = db.prefs.get('news_to_be_synced', []); ids.append(%id%); db.prefs.set('news_to_be_synced', ids)"
Where %id% is the id of the book that you want flagged.
That sounds a cool idea. A question - when you sync a book to your device in this way, is it the same result as if you were to choose send to device in terms of it applying save template and metabooks? (I've never used news myself).

Pretty trivial to code up assuming I am thinking the same as you about what it needs to do. Presumably you just want a menu with suboptions allowing you to add a book to the news sync list, and another to remove from it? The only "difficult" part I see is coming up with sexy names for the menu items/plugin and the icons .

Is there any configuration required for the plugin? e.g. is this a plugin that needs to have keyboard shortcuts or is its use infrequent enough that a context menu/toolbar action menu is sufficient?
Quote:
Might have a try at it myself but you're free to grab the idea and beat me to it
If you want I could knock this up pretty quickly, up to you. I've got a long todo list but I happily sidetrack myself with small projects like this that only take an hour or two to let the "hard stuff" percolate in the background. I'm only doing this for fun after all...
Old 02-08-2011, 05:08 AM   #37
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I use a custom column for marking books I have read. My reader uses folders and currently my folders are

Ebooks/{authors[0]}/{authors}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s} - {title}

now when I mark a book as read in calibre I want to be able to send it to

Ebooks/Read/{authors[0]}/{authors}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s} - {title}
I have to admit this isn't something I personally would find a use for - not saying it is a bad idea, I'm just struggling to think of the use case for it. Once I have read a book, I would be excluding it from sending it to the device again. If I was re-reading an author or series, then I wouldn't want the books to be "specially flagged" on the device when I send them to it.

But hey, that's just me - perhaps others feel differently
Old 02-09-2011, 04:01 AM   #38
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Thanks!

That sounds a cool idea. A question - when you sync a book to your device in this way, is it the same result as if you were to choose send to device in terms of it applying save template and metabooks? (I've never used news myself).
I don't know since I don't use ,yet, those features myself. Only thing I ever changed/looked at were the settings for the Sony 505 Device Interface plugin.
Maybe Kovid can answer that one.

Quote:
Pretty trivial to code up assuming I am thinking the same as you about what it needs to do. Presumably you just want a menu with suboptions allowing you to add a book to the news sync list, and another to remove from it? The only "difficult" part I see is coming up with sexy names for the menu items/plugin and the icons .
Yep, there is not much more to it.

Quote:
Is there any configuration required for the plugin? e.g. is this a plugin that needs to have keyboard shortcuts or is its use infrequent enough that a context menu/toolbar action menu is sufficient?
I can live without a keyboard shortcut since I would use it only once in a while but the original poster might use it daily and then a keyboard shortcut might come in handy.

Go ahead get sidetracked for a couple of minutes since I haven't got any time for some coding the coming weeks Besides it was just the idea in the other thread that I didn't want get lost.

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #39
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know since I don't use ,yet, those features myself. Only thing I ever changed/looked at were the settings for the Sony 505 Device Interface plugin.
I guess I'll have to experiment, shouldn't be hard to - after all just have to run that command line you gave me and plug my Kindle in to see what happens if anything.
Quote:
Go ahead get sidetracked for a couple of minutes since I haven't got any time for some coding the coming weeks Besides it was just the idea in the other thread that I didn't want get lost.
Ok, cool, I'll probably take a look in the next few days.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #40
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Calibre has added a method of putting page numbers for Kindle books by generating the .APNX file while transferring your book to the Kindle from Calibre. Would somebody be willing to look at developing a plugin that will allow you to save this .APNX file to a harddrive without having to transfer your book from Calibre to the Kindle. This way you can save the .apnx file in a directory together with your .mobi books for those who like to keep their libraries on a harddrive and maintain the page number information.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:15 AM   #41
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
...Is there a way to flag books to transfer when the reader is next connected?

Often, when working in Calibre, I don't have my reader hooked up. When I finish fixing up a book, I'd like to flag it to be copied to the reader when it's next connected....
I figured out the answer and it is all good - there seems to be no difference in terms of where the books end up on your device, metadata applied etc when you make use of this automatic news list sync feature versus a right-click Send to Device.

I wrote the Book Sync plugin implementing this today. Great plugin suggestion, one of those you don't realise how convenient it really is until the idea came up...
Old 02-17-2011, 05:27 AM   #42
schuster
Zealot
schuster doesn't litterschuster doesn't litter

Device: prs-650 / prs-350 /kindle 3
hy @ all,
as discussed in this thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121236

i want to ask if it is possible to make a plugin for the (at the moment) most problematic thing's for me.

My approach is, I'm looking with an external program if some files are less than 40k. if so, take a look in calibre and grab a new cover by hand.
Or find covers calibre recognizes as being able to be trimmed
it would be much easier if the search for small cover files can be done in calibre. maybe it is set a flag to a new column or so.

and

author -> author_sort

which are not valid and shows the red backround (so they have different entrys)

if anyone can make this plug-in it would be great!
by myself i don't know about this programming things.

regards schuster
schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:34 AM   #43
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@schuster - I do like the idea of being able to track down books that need larger covers or invalid metadata. It could indeed be fairly easily done as a plugin. Does anyone else have any other suggestions for criteria by which they would like to isolate books that isn't available with the current search?

I'll add a couple more plugin ideas here so I don't forget them...
  • A "Cover Generator" plugin. Calibre has one built in, but it isn't flexible for people who want to have their own cover images. Quite often particularly for the likes of short stories there is no commercial/official cover available. I remember seeing a ticket ages ago for someone wanting to the ability to have different covers for different genres. I think a plugin that let you define a bunch of possible images, and you then choose one when you generate would be useful to me at least (not a fan of the default image). Potentially there could be more control over the text that appears on it as well - any suggestions for what you might want to see let me know.
  • I mentioned on another thread an idea for a "Tag Cleaner". It would use a similar approach to that in the Goodreads Metadata download plugin of defining a mapping between input tags and tags you want to use in your library. You would have a gui allowing you to customise and control which tags map to each and discard any you do not have a mapping for. It would work across metadata sources (including the ability to remap the Goodreads tags) as you would do it as a separate step after your normal Ctrl+D download. So if you are frustrated with getting a dozen variants of "sci-fi, scifi, science fiction" this would automatically resolve them rather than manually retyping the tags yourself.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #44
ThePage
Connoisseur
ThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4, eBookwise & Literati
Audiobooks

Quote:
As you have discovered Calibre has no direct support for audiobooks. If it consists of a single mp3 file, you can just drag/drop this into Calibre like any other book format, it appears in the list of formats in the book details window etc.
---
So I can't think of a direct way for a plugin to help you. I would suggest posting in the main Calibre forum and asking others if they store audiobooks in Calibre and if so how they approach it.
---
I have several, that were purchased accidentally, and expect to add data on them to Calibre, but they are actually stored with my Musicmatch 9.0 which makes more sense since it is intended for handling audio.

Last edited by ThePage; 03-02-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: spelling
ThePage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #45
ThePage
Connoisseur
ThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4, eBookwise & Literati
Question making a plug-in from an existing driver?

I've apparently been under a false impression for some months, while consolidating 7,000+ books in calibre, from multiple directories (including 4,000+ IMP's), I've not had occasion up to now to work with my existing book-reader, so that I've only just discovered that while I can send a book to my storage card while it's plugged into the computer, I can't do anything else, nor does my reader see the file after I've put the card back into it.

Would it be possible for someone to take the driver used by my dedicated Library software (for the eBookwise) and construct a plug-in for Calibre, allowing of transferring books from one to the other, and would anyone be interested/inclined to do it?

I have no doubt, from the quantity of .imp files offered on mobileread, that others would find it of use.

Also, see FAQ for my adventures in giving both Library Programs advanced indigestion.

Last edited by ThePage; 03-02-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: syntax
ThePage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chatbot, epub fix, epub-fix, google books, metadata calibre title, pdf, pdf and calibre, plugin development