Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!
 
Archon's Avatar
 
Posts: 110
Karma: 5176
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
Author sort for foreign or non-standard names.

Ok so here is the dilemma of the modern age:

Ursula K. Le Guin and Lester del Rey get sorted into 'Guin' and 'Rey'. (I changed the author sort to LeGuin and it is still listed in the "G's".)

Also, what about authors with three names that are not middle names and are NOT hyphenated? Lois McMaster Bujold get sorted to 'Bujold'

I know this is probably a minor issue to some and most people just hyphenate the name or compress it i.e. LeGuin or McMaster-Bujold.

However, that is technically not correct and I endeavor to be accurate and label books as the author lists their name on the book. (I still get mail that lops off my first name because some idiot somewhere decided 8 characters was enough for a first name. They also miss the second capital letter in my last name making it lower case. Mail addressed like this immediately gets trashed.)

I find inaccuracy, especially when it comes to someone's name, to be unacceptable. Dale Carnegie said "a person's name is the most beautiful sound in the world to them, and you should endeavor to pronounce their name as they pronounce it".

In the modern age LastName_FirstName is just not enough to encompass everyone. Since Calibre seems to have a fairly good world following it would seem that allowances need to be made for these non-standard names.

How does the Library sort these authors?
Is it time to update the old methods of name sorting?
With computing power as it is today why are arbitrary sizes still assigned to fields on forms we fill out?
Why_do_people_put_underscores_in_file_names_instea d_of_spaces? Do they not own a modern OS that can have up to 255 characters of any kind as a filename? Are they stuck in the 8dot3 world of DOS? Come on people this is the 21st century.

Most importantly, is there any way to drop a piece of peanut butter toast and have it land bread side down?

(I looked through the manual and searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to this vexing questions.)

OK I will shut up, sit down, and color in my book now.
Weeeeeeeeeeee it's Saturday
Archon

Last edited by Archon; 02-12-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,223
Karma: 5495470
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The (original) Silicon Valley, USA
Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
Ok so here is the dilemma of the modern age:

Ursula K. Le Guin and Lester del Rey get sorted into 'Guin' and 'Rey'. (I changed the author sort to LeGuin and it is still listed in the "G's".)

Also, what about authors with three names that are not middle names and are NOT hyphenated? Lois McMaster Bujold get sorted to 'Bujold'

I know this is probably a minor issue to some and most people just hyphenate the name or compress it i.e. LeGuin or McMaster-Bujold.

However, that is technically not correct and I endeavor to be accurate and label books as the author lists their name on the book. (I still get mail that lops off my first name because some idiot somewhere decided 8 characters was enough for a first name. They also miss the second capital letter in my last name making it lower case. Mail addressed like this immediately gets trashed.)

I find inaccuracy, especially when it comes to someone's name, to be unacceptable. Dale Carnegie said "a person's name is the most beautiful sound in the world to them, and you should endeavor to pronounce their name as they pronounce it".

In the modern age LastName_FirstName is just not enough to encompass everyone. Since Calibre seems to have a fairly good world following it would seem that allowances need to be made for these non-standard names.

How does the Library sort these authors?
Is it time to update the old methods of name sorting?
With computing power as it is today why are arbitrary sizes still assigned to fields on forms we fill out?
Why_do_people_put_underscores_in_file_names_instea d_of_spaces? Do they not own a modern OS that can have up to 255 characters of any kind as a filename? Are they stuck in the 8dot3 world of DOS? Come on people this is the 21st century.

Most importantly, is there any way to drop a piece of peanut butter toast and have it land bread side down?

(I looked through the manual and searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to this vexing questions.)

OK I will shut up, sit down, and color in my book now.
Weeeeeeeeeeee it's Saturday
Archon
There are 2 Author sort locations,
on is in the book Metadata, The other is a Author right-click (sort) option in the Tag Browser.

LMB (and all 3 names) sorts correctly for me.
I may have 'Tweaked' Lester to get him sorted (it should try to default/behave like a 3 Name)

IIRC: A. Bertram Chandler needed help keeping the 'A' in place
Jr's always need help in the Tag Sort
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!
 
Archon's Avatar
 
Posts: 110
Karma: 5176
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
Quote:
There are 2 Author sort locations,
on is in the book Metadata, The other is a Author right-click (sort) option in the Tag Browser.
Woohoo! OK I fixed UKLG she is now in her proper place in the L's.

So, now my question is why are there two places to edit the author sort and what does the meta data sort do if it doesn't change how it is sorted in the user interface?

I am still working on the peanut butter-toast-flip experiment.
Thanks theducks
Archon
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,223
Karma: 5495470
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The (original) Silicon Valley, USA
Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
Woohoo! OK I fixed UKLG she is now in her proper place in the L's.

So, now my question is why are there two places to edit the author sort and what does the meta data sort do if it doesn't change how it is sorted in the user interface?
A WAG
I think the Metadata sort allows you to pick which authors to 'file' the book under.

the Tag sort affects the (list) Order.


Quote:
I am still working on the peanut butter-toast-flip experiment.
Thanks theducks
Archon
Have you tried Peanut- Butter, Crisp Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato on toast (don't say yuk! until you have tried it)?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!
 
Archon's Avatar
 
Posts: 110
Karma: 5176
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
Ahhh the infamous PBBLT.

An interesting idea indeed.

Of course anything with peanut butter or bacon must be good so why not together?

Archon
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,223
Karma: 5495470
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The (original) Silicon Valley, USA
Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post

Of course anything with peanut butter or bacon must be good so why not together?

Archon
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
kovidgoyal's Avatar
 
Posts: 25,377
Karma: 4961459
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai, India
Device: Various
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...es-and-sorting
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!
 
Archon's Avatar
 
Posts: 110
Karma: 5176
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
Thanks Kovid.

I really did search the manual.

I typed:
Author Sort Foreign Names
And got this:
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...s&area=default

Which didn't give me the 'right-click' tip I needed.

Then I searched Author sort names
and got this
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...s&area=default

Which gave me too many hits but, much to my chagrine, it did include the FAQ.

It was just a little confusing to me that the 'author sort column' and the 'tag browser' use different values to sort on.

However, I am guilty of not thoroughly reading the FAQ.
So, I am off to do that now. After I make that PBBLT sandwich.

Thanks
Archon
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
using author sort for author - Sony 950 Purple Lady Devices 2 01-29-2011 12:23 AM
Author names superplinio Calibre 6 02-27-2010 04:58 AM
Author(s) & Author Sort BobF Calibre 11 01-02-2009 05:01 PM
Author Names ClockworkDragon Sony Reader 1 12-01-2008 04:39 PM
How to add author names? pshrynk Amazon Kindle 16 06-06-2008 01:33 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.