Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #31
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by panda6855 View Post
ACTUAL PROBLEM IDENTIFIED!
Hi folks. I think I've found where the issue is. It appears that Sigil adds or changes formatting when I add a Chapter Break to the document. The chapter preceding the break changes to left alignment, but the chapter immediately following the break stays entirely with the original formatting that had been specified.
If you can make a repeatable test case, please report it on the tracker. See here for more information.

But chapter breaking doesn't normally change the formatting. It merely copies everything after the break into a new file, duplicating the <head> section (ok, it's a little bit more complicated than that, but in a nutshell, this is what happens). Your CSS should transfer just fine.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #32
panda6855
Enthusiast
panda6855 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
It happens repeatedly whereby when i place the cursor after the full stop of a paragraph then click the Chapter Break icon, the chapter break is created, the text preceding the break point is in one file (and has the problem of now being all aligned left and seemingly unchangeable, at least it's alignment) and the text following the Chapter Break point is brought into a new file which has all the correct formatting still in place. In this book, which is almost 250 pages, this seems to happen every Chapter Break I make as I try to edit and format the book to look decent in ePub.

It'll take some time to follow the guidelines at the link you've provided as this has consumed so much time out of my present projects as it is, but I'll do my best when I'm able to. In the meantime, I'll juts go ahead with formatted version without chapter breaks - that seems to work okay and retain formatting as desired, though not ideal result.

Thanks.
panda6855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #33
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Hmmm that's really strange. A page should not change at all (beyond losing the text after the cursor when you hit Ch break) and the new page you made with Chapter break should retain all formatting from the page it used to be part of.

Can you provide a screenshot of the preceding page or copy/paste the text here of the code particularly from the beginning of the page, before and after the chapter break. Everything from the <body...> and above. maybe we can narrow down the problem.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #34
panda6855
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Can you provide a screenshot of the preceding page or copy/paste the text here of the code particularly from the beginning of the page, before and after the chapter break. Everything from the <body...> and above. maybe we can narrow down the problem.
Here is the code - the three versions - one before CB, one after CB of preceding page, and one after CB of following page:

=======
BEFORE ADDING CHAPTER BREAK:
------
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title>OTLePUB2010RTxx.xhtml</title>
<link href="../Styles/template.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>

<body style="">

=======
AFTER ADDING CHAPTER BREAK in preceding paragraph/chapter
-------
<?xml version="1.0"?>

<head>
</head>

<body style="">

===========
AFTER ADDING CHAPTER BREAK in following paragraph/chapter
--------
<?xml version="1.0"?>

<head>
</head>

<body style="">

============

To get these pieces of code, I created a fresh new file of the basic text of the project, then started afresh by making the first chapter break when the problem begins.

Btw, I'm using Sigil 0.3.2 on MacBook Pro 15"/ 3.06GHz/ 500GB - 7200/ 4GB/ OSX 10.6.5

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by panda6855; 01-03-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:06 AM   #35
panda6855
Enthusiast

NEW DEVELOPMENT OF ISSUE:
I now realise that this issue does not happen when adding chapter breaks into the main body of the book, only in the tile page, publishing details and copyright page, and dedication page. After that, the chapters start and they seem to render fine. So... by using the same action - clicking to add Chapter Break where text ends on a page - throughout the document, the first 3 pages end up having the left-alignment-impossible-to-center-again issue, whereas all the rest seem to be fine.

I've now tried files from a variety of sources including several different settings variations when creating the basic ePub file out of IDCS5.

Stranger and stranger it is becoming...
Old 01-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
NEW DEVELOPMENT OF ISSUE:
I now realise that this issue does not happen when adding chapter breaks into the main body of the book, only in the tile page, publishing details and copyright page, and dedication page. After that, the chapters start and they seem to render fine. So... by using the same action - clicking to add Chapter Break where text ends on a page - throughout the document, the first 3 pages end up having the left-alignment-impossible-to-center-again issue, whereas all the rest seem to be fine.

I've now tried files from a variety of sources including several different settings variations when creating the basic ePub file out of IDCS5.

Stranger and stranger it is becoming...
Panda:

Is your understanding of the alignment of these specific pages based solely on the iPad?

I ask this because, as I have noted elsewhere on MR in threads, iBooks has notorious problems with centering, as it ignores "text-align:center" unless you have that specific element wrapped with a second element. In other words, you have to have something like a <span> inside a <p> for text-align:center to work; or another element. FWIW, iBooks also ignores all the page-break: element controls, or widows or orphans.

Does this help you, because what you posted as the CodeView isn't that helpful, you didn't include any of the misaligned body text elements for us to look at.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #37
panda6855
Enthusiast

Thanks Hitch. Very enlightening and clarifying for me - big AHA!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Panda:
Is your understanding of the alignment of these specific pages based solely on the iPad?
Yes - only by viewing the files on iPad. Having seen your post, I've now looked at the files in Adobe Digital Editions and see the difference. Those paras don't align left in ADE but ADE adds return (line space) after every paragraph break.

Quote:
I ask this because, as I have noted elsewhere on MR in threads, iBooks has notorious problems with centering, as it ignores "text-align:center" unless you have that specific element wrapped with a second element. In other words, you have to have something like a <span> inside a <p> for text-align:center to work; or another element. FWIW, iBooks also ignores all the page-break: element controls, or widows or orphans.
Aha. Thanks, I'd love to try that. Being a newbie to code... where EXACTLY do I place that code? Is it on every page or on every paragraph? And what EXACTLY should the added code be - how should it read? Should I post a full page of code so you can see and advise?

Quote:
Does this help you, because what you posted as the CodeView isn't that helpful, you didn't include any of the misaligned body text elements for us to look at.

Hitch
I believe it does, thanks. I hadn't thought of the device being the issue. Interesting how the different readers render the same file in such different ways. However, the book looks dreadful with the left alignment on those pages so my preference would be to minimise the risk of that happening by adding the code you suggest.
(Btw, I just posted what I understood I was asked to post.)

Many thanks for help.

Last edited by panda6855; 01-04-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #38
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Thanks Hitch. Very enlightening and clarifying for me - big AHA!.

Yes - only by viewing the files on iPad. Having seen your post, I've now looked at the files in Adobe Digital Editions and see the difference. Those paras don't align left in ADE but ADE adds return (line space) after every paragraph break.

Aha. Thanks, I'd love to try that. Being a newbie to code... where EXACTLY do I place that code? Is it on every page or on every paragraph? And what EXACTLY should the added code be - how should it read? Should I post a full page of code so you can see and advise?

I believe it does, thanks. I hadn't thought of the device being the issue. Interesting how the different readers render the same file in such different ways. However, the book looks dreadful with the left alignment on those pages so my preference would be to minimise the risk of that happening by adding the code you suggest.
(Btw, I just posted what I understood I was asked to post.)

Many thanks for help.
When you ask, "Where EXACTLY do I place that code..." you're asking me how to build a car when you don't know how to change a tire. I'm not trying to be rude, but you're trying to format for iBooks--the most difficult of the devices, because it ignores the CSS that we normally use in ePUB and so we have to use workarounds--when you don't even know how to use CSS.

You'll have to learn about CSS: Go here: http://www.w3schools.com/

and learn how inline styles, internal stylesheets and external stylesheets work, and how to use them. Because what you're asking isn't a one-solution problem, because you will have numerous elements on any given "page" or "chapter," and to center them will take an equal number of solutions, that is, what centers a heading mightn't work for something else, or mightn't be needed for something else.

In general, to center a paragraph in iBooks, you'll have to create a class of paragraphs, something like:

p.center
{text-align:center;
text-indent:0px}

Which you'll include EITHER in the internal or external stylesheet, and then, in the actual code in the codeview page, you will have something like

<p class="center"><span>SOME TEXT GOES HERE</span></p>

BUT, this will only work on the paragraphs that have this precise coding, and it won't solve your problem with headers and images, so, as I said, I'm afraid you're going to have to learn a little CSS first in order to apply what you need to apply. Don't fear--it won't be a LOT of CSS, but you'll need to learn a little.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:15 AM   #39
panda6855
Enthusiast

Thanks Hitch, I think I understand what you're saying. I'm off to w3schools for a while I guess.

I want to get through this and get great results, and the route to that is obviously so varied and complex that nobody but me can take it now.

I'm still open to any help and suggestions along my journey... from anyone who is willing and able.

Many thanks to those who have been so helpful so far. I'm still listening...
Old 01-12-2011, 02:53 AM   #40
panda6855
Enthusiast

BUT ePUB file doesn't validate...

Now, having got an ePub file as I'm happy with it in Sigil and how it reads in ADE and iPad, I tired to validate the ePub file but I get the following error message:
-----
WARNING: .../title.pub: item (iTunesMetadata.plist) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
-----
I get that message in both ways: (1) using epubcheck1.1 in Terminal and (2) double-checking on threepress.

What does this Error actually mean and how can I repair it? I opened the file in Calibre and opened the OPF file in TextWrangler, but... I can't see where this issue is.
Can anybody help me with this?

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #41
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Are you trying to validate a file after uploading it to iTunes Connect? That error message is saying that the EPUB file you are trying to validate contains a file "iTunesMetadata.plist" which isn't listed in the .opf file. As far as I know, the "iTunesMetadata.plist" file is added to the EPUB file by the iTunes Connect software (I assume it contains metadata used by the iTunes Connect system).

What I'd suggest:

Make a copy of your EPUB file.
Working on the copy, change the extension to .zip.
Open the zip file and remove the "iTunesMetadata.plist" file from the zip archive.
Change the file extension back to .epub.
Now run that file through epubcheck.

The file should now pass epubcheck.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #42
panda6855
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
Are you trying to validate a file after uploading it to iTunes Connect? That error message is saying that the EPUB file you are trying to validate contains a file "iTunesMetadata.plist" which isn't listed in the .opf file. As far as I know, the "iTunesMetadata.plist" file is added to the EPUB file by the iTunes Connect software (I assume it contains metadata used by the iTunes Connect system).
Thanks for your advice. No the ePub is produced by Sigil which I used to edit the original ePub exported from InDesign CS5. Opening the ePub file using your method, I see no "iTunesMetadata.plist" file. Strange. I must admit, I did wonder about iTunes being mentioned at all.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #43
nargyris
nargyris began at the beginning.

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. No the ePub is produced by Sigil which I used to edit the original ePub exported from InDesign CS5. Opening the ePub file using your method, I see no "iTunesMetadata.plist" file. Strange. I must admit, I did wonder about iTunes being mentioned at all.
Did you test your file with the iPad ? If yes, that's why the iTunesMetadata.plist" is there...
nargyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #44
panda6855
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nargyris View Post
Did you test your file with the iPad ? If yes, that's why the iTunesMetadata.plist" is there...
Yes I did. Thanks for the pointer. I understand now. Maybe I should duplicate the ePUB before testing it on iPad and only test the duplicate and keep the originals clean.