Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #181
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 36,514
Karma: 17660776
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Is there going to be hyphenation support?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #182
Jsimon
Enthusiast
Jsimon began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 31
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2010
Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
Are you talking DRM? no DRM? Should be the same on iPhone as iPad..
I mean is there a way to go to library website on the Ipad and download an ebook from the public library directly to my ipad, bypassing my PC.
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #183
Jsimon
Enthusiast
Jsimon began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 31
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2010
Device: Ipad
Ok was playing around as was able to do the following:

on a computer without Adobe Digital Editions, I was able to take out a book from the public library by downloading the acsm file as normal. Then instead of opening it on my computer I simply emailed the file to myself. Opened it on my Ipad within Bluefire Reader. It then downloaded the book automatically, and I was good to go. So you can skip Itunes and adobe digital editions.
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #184
Svea
Junior Member
Svea began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2010
Device: ipad
Micah, as a librarian and future ipad owner (hey, Christmas is coming..), I just want to say that you and your team are the complete and utter bomb! I am probably unreasonably excited about you guys making Apple products compatible with library ebooks, but hooray! I used your instructions from http://www.bluefirereader.com/help/libraryBooks.html to transfer a book to my iphone and success!!! I was able to open it and read it easy peasy. So now ereader purchasing library patrons have the option of Ipads as well as Sony & Nook. (Kindle, maybe someday they'll catch up.) I wish I could offer up my library for your request but I don't think they'd go for it - but if you like I could post your query to Publib, the librarian's listserv? http://lists.webjunction.org/publib/ Although I can't locate your request in this thread anymore, so maybe you don't need it. Or I just keep skimming by it. Anyway, thanks for helping make libraries stay relevant in this increasingly digital world!
Svea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:17 AM   #185
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'
 
Posts: 194
Karma: 39390
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
Jsimon,
Just to let you know that I tried your method of downloading the acsm file to a separate folder on my computer and emailing it to my iPad and opening it there in Bluefire Reader. It worked beautifully. (I do have Adobe Digital Editions and iTunes installed on my computer) It will be so nice to bypass them both.


Many thanks also to the Bluefire Reader staff. This is fantastic.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #186
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 322
Karma: 1089156
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle
Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
These books were not expired. Each had a 21 day until expiration and worked fine in ADE, but had circle with a bar in Bluefire.
When you tried to open the books, did you get some kind of error message?
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #187
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can read with one handdieterpops can read with one handdieterpops can read with one handdieterpops can read with one handdieterpops can read with one handdieterpops can read with one handdieterpops can read with one handdieterpops can read with one handdieterpops can read with one handdieterpops can read with one handdieterpops can read with one hand
 
Posts: 204
Karma: 79905
Join Date: Nov 2008
Device: Kobo Aura HD
I get the circle with the line through it on a white cover of the book. I've attached a couple of screen shots of the Adobe messages for the good book and the bad book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	115
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	61096   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.PNG
Views:	124
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	61097   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.PNG
Views:	116
Size:	497.2 KB
ID:	61098  
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #188
Logseman
じゃんぬねっ
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Logseman's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,939
Karma: 1027561
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tenerife
Device: bq Cervantes Touch Light
I'm favourably impressed with this program. It seems to be fulfilling so many people's wishes. But as an Android user I'm a bit jealous. Actually the fact that you can bypass ADE is most interesting to me, since I use Linux. Do you have any kind of calendar for the Android app release?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #189
midlifec
ebooks on iPhone fanatic
midlifec began at the beginning.
 
midlifec's Avatar
 
Posts: 29
Karma: 12
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Device: iphone
Micah, I just tried BFR on my jailbroken iPhone 3GS 32gb.
Thanks for the app; very nice look and feel, better than Stanza, Goodreader or iBooks but I have the freeze problem when I leave the program.
Hope you find a fix soon.
What I would like to see is a clear indication of where I am in the book, always on screen (eg) a bar at the bottom or the top? This would, I think, be better than a page number and provide a better reading experience.
The other thing would be the ability to reduce the margins even further - even at the lowest setting, margins remain wide and the number of words on the page is still sometimes very small with some ebooks. (unless there is some other way of getting around this? Any advice very welcome.)
midlifec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #190
Jane12
Zealot
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 120
Karma: 560088
Join Date: Oct 2010
Device: iPhone, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops
These books were not expired. Each had a 21 day until expiration and worked fine in ADE, but had circle with a bar in Bluefire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
When you tried to open the books, did you get some kind of error message?
Hi Micah,

I'm getting the same kind of error as dieterpops. Here's what's happening:

* I checked out book "A" about a week ago. It has 6 days left before expiration. I successfully transferred it to BFR via iTunes, but the cover was blank with a circle and line through it. When I tried to open it, I got: "This loaned item can no longer be accessed." However, it opens fine in ADE and has 6 days left before it expires.

* I then tried checking out some new books ("B," "C" and "D"). These all transferred fine and opened no problem.

* I then returned book "A" and checked it out again. Now it has 14 days before it expires. It's all fresh and new. I transferred it to BFR, but again I get the blank cover with circle and line through it and the error message: "This loaned item can no longer be accessed." And yet, it's newly checked out with 14 days left and opens fine in ADE.

* I then decided to return book "B" and try checking it out again. This time, I get the blank cover with circle and line through it and "This loaned item can no longer be accessed."

So there's definitely something wonky with the authorizations if you're trying to transfer a book that's been checked out for a while, even if it hasn't expired yet. And it looks like once you return a book you can never check it out again, which is kind of a bummer since my library only loans for 14 days, and if I can't finish a book in time and want to check it out again, I can't.

However, I'm thrilled to finally have some access to ADE DRMed books on my iPod and want to thank the BFR Team for all your efforts!
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #191
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 36,514
Karma: 17660776
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
My iPhone 3G is jailbroken and if Bluefire is going to bomb on exit, I'm going to have to go back to txtr. Also, can we have a use margins as defined in the ePub setting as well as a no margin setting? Also, the fonts available on format override are rather limited. Can we either have access to more of the internal iPhone/iPad fonts or be able to add our own?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:30 AM   #192
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 322
Karma: 1089156
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle
Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I'm favourably impressed with this program. It seems to be fulfilling so many people's wishes. But as an Android user I'm a bit jealous. Actually the fact that you can bypass ADE is most interesting to me, since I use Linux. Do you have any kind of calendar for the Android app release?
This Winter. Maybe as soon as January.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:33 AM   #193
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 322
Karma: 1089156
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle
Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifec View Post
Micah, I just tried BFR on my jailbroken iPhone 3GS 32gb.
Thanks for the app; very nice look and feel, better than Stanza, Goodreader or iBooks but I have the freeze problem when I leave the program.
Hope you find a fix soon.
What I would like to see is a clear indication of where I am in the book, always on screen (eg) a bar at the bottom or the top? This would, I think, be better than a page number and provide a better reading experience.
The other thing would be the ability to reduce the margins even further - even at the lowest setting, margins remain wide and the number of words on the page is still sometimes very small with some ebooks. (unless there is some other way of getting around this? Any advice very welcome.)
When we "set" margins, we don't actually futz with the publisher's CSS, we just "inset" the whole page. The "smallest" margins are only a few pixels inset. So it is likey the formatting of the books. We might need to be a bit more "aggressive" when a user turns off "Use Publisher Formatting" which currently would maybe be better labled "Over-write specific, standard CSS selectors and hope the publisher did not get fancy with CSS selector names"
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:36 AM   #194
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 322
Karma: 1089156
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle
Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
Hi Micah,

I'm getting the same kind of error as dieterpops. Here's what's happening:

* I checked out book "A" about a week ago. It has 6 days left before expiration. I successfully transferred it to BFR via iTunes, but the cover was blank with a circle and line through it. When I tried to open it, I got: "This loaned item can no longer be accessed." However, it opens fine in ADE and has 6 days left before it expires.

* I then tried checking out some new books ("B," "C" and "D"). These all transferred fine and opened no problem.

* I then returned book "A" and checked it out again. Now it has 14 days before it expires. It's all fresh and new. I transferred it to BFR, but again I get the blank cover with circle and line through it and the error message: "This loaned item can no longer be accessed." And yet, it's newly checked out with 14 days left and opens fine in ADE.

* I then decided to return book "B" and try checking it out again. This time, I get the blank cover with circle and line through it and "This loaned item can no longer be accessed."

So there's definitely something wonky with the authorizations if you're trying to transfer a book that's been checked out for a while, even if it hasn't expired yet. And it looks like once you return a book you can never check it out again, which is kind of a bummer since my library only loans for 14 days, and if I can't finish a book in time and want to check it out again, I can't.

However, I'm thrilled to finally have some access to ADE DRMed books on my iPod and want to thank the BFR Team for all your efforts!
Sounds like we have some work to do....
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:47 AM   #195
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 322
Karma: 1089156
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle
Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My iPhone 3G is jailbroken and if Bluefire is going to bomb on exit, I'm going to have to go back to txtr. Also, can we have a use margins as defined in the ePub setting as well as a no margin setting? Also, the fonts available on format override are rather limited. Can we either have access to more of the internal iPhone/iPad fonts or be able to add our own?
Bummer. But I hear you on the crash. FYI, testing against jailbreak crashes is REALLY hard. I agree on the margins and we'll try - will never be perfect as we can't (and would not even if we could) actually "strip" the CSS, we can only over-ride it when we can "guess" the selectors. And on fonts, yes. You can't tell how big your app will be until Apple encrypts it then compresses it. Ends up we do have room for more fonts. Though as we add Asian language support, it will get tighter again. Best approach is to let the user add their own fonts. That is high on my list.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PRS-505 Sony E-reader app for Iphone? someoneinseattle Sony Reader 7 12-08-2010 09:23 AM
linux app won't synch with reader luqmaninbmore Kobo Reader 1 07-01-2010 11:27 PM
Asking you about the ideal ebook reader app codeflakes Apple Devices 6 12-09-2009 12:15 PM
'Papers' app as a PDF reader alchemy Apple Devices 2 06-26-2009 05:29 PM
Apt improves your Reader app... Gorod Reading and Management 0 05-07-2008 12:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.