Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
JakesFriend
Jakes Friend
JakesFriend began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite1
Thumbs down They can't fix it so I can't keep it

I've enjoyed Sony Readers for years -- my first was the PRS-500. Eventually got the 505 and the 900 and quite recently the 950.
But the 950 has some issues (won't move to next song automatically, even with proper settings). Have been trying to get Sony to resolve this for several days. Got disconnected during my 30-minute phone call, and got sent the same info over and over again by email support.

So that's it. I quit Sony. Sending it back.
Good luck to all.

Last edited by JakesFriend; 11-04-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: fix typo
JakesFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
E-Readers aren't supposed to be iPods! Firmware updates would have cleared the problem.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Ayle
Enthusiast
Ayle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 650
I honestly didn't notice my 650 HAD music till I got it. I guess I'll try a few audiobooks, but its not the reason I got it and doubt I will use the music function much. I have a cellphone for that. But I guess if they can't help with something you expected to work, then that's that. I am very happy with my reader, sorry you didn't fare as well.
Ayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
It's ereader, not walkman.
When feature is missing third level support cannot help you.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Well, they do advertise that feature. If they have it, we should expect it to work.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakesFriend View Post
I've enjoyed Sony Readers for years -- my first was the PRS-500. Eventually got the 505 and the 900 and quite recently the 950.
But the 950 has some issues (won't move to next song automatically, even with proper settings). Have been trying to get Sony to resolve this for several days. Got disconnected during my 30-minute phone call, and got sent the same info over and over again by email support.

So that's it. I quit Sony. Sending it back.
Good luck to all.
Did you ask for a replacement?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I have that problem sometimes on my MP3 player and even on my computer's music playing app. It's usually something in the MP3 file that makes the player not move to the next song when one song ends.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
rk67668
rk67668 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Most likely if you bought these from BB, there demo units, I bought two on 10/22 and had all kinds of problems, found out these were demo's and they had beta firmware, Sony rep called last night, and is sending out two new units and a gift card, and also they don't want me to return them back to BB, because they don't want back on the shelfs. Call support and ask then if these are demo units, they can tell by the sn & version #. Also according to Sony rep these units are not available for another two weeks.
rk67668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk67668 View Post
Most likely if you bought these from BB, there demo units, I bought two on 10/22 and had all kinds of problems, found out these were demo's and they had beta firmware, Sony rep called last night, and is sending out two new units and a gift card, and also they don't want me to return them back to BB, because they don't want back on the shelfs. Call support and ask then if these are demo units, they can tell by the sn & version #. Also according to Sony rep these units are not available for another two weeks.
They show as shipping now on the sonystyle website.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
JakesFriend
Jakes Friend

Quote:
Bought the 950 from Sony's web site.
Am going to speak to them today (wish me luck) and insist they send a replacement.
As to the other posts about the Reader not being a music player: why, then, did my other readers (500, 505, and 900) perform this task without a hitch?
Still disgusted with Sony.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
JakesFriend
Jakes Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you ask for a replacement?
Will speak to Sony today and insist on it. Thanks for the suggestion. Am very upset with them right now, and won't let them off the phone until they agree.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #12
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Quote:
What number did you call? I seem to have ended up in the typical call center where they have very limited knowledge. To top it off he was telling me the line was breaking up and asked me to call back later even though he seemed to be able to understand my email address and phone number just fine. Seems like it was a way to get me off the phone since he didn't have an answer. I really hate the offshore call centers!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #13
JakesFriend
Jakes Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
What number did you call? I seem to have ended up in the typical call center where they have very limited knowledge. To top it off he was telling me the line was breaking up and asked me to call back later even though he seemed to be able to understand my email address and phone number just fine. Seems like it was a way to get me off the phone since he didn't have an answer. I really hate the offshore call centers!
I agree with the poor quality (connection and information) with the call center. The number I called is (866) 962-7669, as per one of the many (unhelpful) emails I got from Sony. My online chat yesterday was looking more helpful, but ended up in the same place.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #14
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

I had better luck when calling sony style and having them transfer me. The direct line they gave me was 800-222-7669. I think I just hit 0 when connected. It wasn't listed as an option, but got me out to an agent immediately. They logged a case for me to have my unit swapped since the Best Buy units were not intended for retail sale.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
JakesFriend, I cannot replicate your issue on my 950. I loaded two albums as a test-case. One album was MP3 files, and the other album was unprotected AAC files. Both albums when I played a track advanced to the next song. The repeat one song and shuffle songs also advanced as one would expect.

I think that Sony has improved the audio player with each generation. I really like that they group the songs into albums. It's much more organized now. Also the volume control seems to have more range to it. In fact, I might actually use the audio player on the 950 if I find it doesn't impact the battery life that significantly.

I don't know how much better other ereader brands do. My Kindle, for example, considers the audio player to be "experimental". It does not show you the list of songs or album covers which was rather surprising to me. You advance tracks and pause music by using keyboard shortcuts. The Sony audio player beats that. I only wish Sony had an audiobooks category to distinguish between music files like the Kindle does.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 11-05-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote