Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #16
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abisha View Post
I suspect the real problem is two-fold. I am going to write Sony within the next 24 hours to find out if they can confirm or deny my suspicions. My hunch, and I stand my by original assessment that the Reader's WIFI component is feeble, is that,

a. the Reader fails to connect where a separate web based login is required, and

b. where a certificate must be downloaded to the device after a web based login.

If my theory is confirmed to be true, this essentially cripples the device's connectivity at a mind-numbingly vast array of wifi hotspots throughout the world.
That's very possible. I have not yet been able to try it with that type of access. I'm not sure whether the Kindle handles that or not. I'd be curious as a compare point, but you may very well be right on the issue.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #17
steelypip
steelypip began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950SC
It makes sense that the browser probably lacks whatever scripting capability is necessary to set a cookie or whatever these web-based login schemes require. It's obviously a pretty minimal app.

I don't know that the device even has the certificate support stack necessary to do that sort of authentication.

I identified another interesting limitation of the WiFi interface on the PRS-950: it is at least somewhat sensitive to interference from neighboring WiFi devices. I couldn't get it to connect to the (WPA AES PSK) AP last night until I moved my laptop off my lap and onto a nearby table.

Stuff I wish it had: a signal strength indication, some sort of status indicator (possibly including WiFi mode and connection speed, maybe even channel) in the WiFi config screen.

OTOH, I didn't anticipate it being as decent a browser as it is, either. I was reading light novels at Baka-Tsuki.org on Monday night and it was a completely acceptable experience - even the illustration tip-ins formatted correctly.

I think Sony needs to be careful to remind people that this is an ebook reader that just happens to have limited web browsing capability. It is not an iPad, and it is certainly not a netbook.

That said, the browser could be a lot more configurable. Does it stash cookies? Any sort of page caching? All this stuff is under the hood and invisible. I really don't like the idea of the thing retaining cookies (or supercookies) forever...
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #18
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post

Quote:
I suspect the real problem is two-fold. I am going to write Sony within the next 24 hours to find out if they can confirm or deny my suspicions. My hunch, and I stand my by original assessment that the Reader's WIFI component is feeble, is that,

a. the Reader fails to connect where a separate web based login is required, and

b. where a certificate must be downloaded to the device after a web based login.

If my theory is confirmed to be true, this essentially cripples the device's connectivity at a mind-numbingly vast array of wifi hotspots throughout the world.
That's very possible. I have not yet been able to try it with that type of access. I'm not sure whether the Kindle handles that or not. I'd be curious as a compare point, but you may very well be right on the issue.
I wanted to post an update to address my WIFI hotspot woes. My original suspicions are thankfully false. In fact I have been able to confirm that the Sony PRS-950 does in fact support web based login enterprise systems and downloading of certificates. The problems I've been dealing with I can only presume are related to interference with other wifi devices within close proximity. I found a quieter place on campus. I shutdown and restarted my Sony PRS-950, after the minute long process completed the first thing the reader did was lauch the web browser and load my University's web login page. I'm planning on heading to Starbuck's this weekend to meet with my German language study group. I will test the reader there and report back. I hope in a location with fewer wifi devices the Sony Reader will have an easier time making a connection.

Moving onto another topic I also wanted to share some of my frustration with PDF viewing on the PRS-950. As a student I read dozens of peer reviewed academic journals and studies every semester. I've never been under the delusion that the current generation of readers were the end-all-be-all. However I do own Adobe Acrobat Professional 9.4. I have always configured my PDF's with Clearscan OCR and used Acrobat Pro to crop whitespace before loading them on my Reader. While I have always enjoyed using Sony Readers for their PDF support, I was really excited for the Zoom and Pan features in the PRS-950. Alas, what I've found is very dissapointing. When the reader is used in the landscape orientation Sony has decided that Zoom'ing greater than 100% of the screen width is not important. So for instance if I wanted to zoom in on an illustration of a plotted graph, well, too bad so sad. I truly pray that someone will reply to this and say: "Abisha" try this... Because at this point in time, I can come to no other conclusion that PDF Zoom and Pan in landscape mode is completely worthless and that Sony put no effort into improving their firmware from last generation to this.
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #19
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
I wanted to post an update to address my WIFI hotspot woes. My original suspicions are thankfully false. In fact I have been able to confirm that the Sony PRS-950 does in fact support web based login enterprise systems and downloading of certificates. The problems I've been dealing with I can only presume are related to interference with other wifi devices within close proximity. I found a quieter place on campus. I shutdown and restarted my Sony PRS-950, after the minute long process completed the first thing the reader did was lauch the web browser and load my University's web login page. I'm planning on heading to Starbuck's this weekend to meet with my German language study group. I will test the reader there and report back. I hope in a location with fewer wifi devices the Sony Reader will have an easier time making a connection.

Moving onto another topic I also wanted to share some of my frustration with PDF viewing on the PRS-950. As a student I read dozens of peer reviewed academic journals and studies every semester. I've never been under the delusion that the current generation of readers were the end-all-be-all. However I do own Adobe Acrobat Professional 9.4. I have always configured my PDF's with Clearscan OCR and used Acrobat Pro to crop whitespace before loading them on my Reader. While I have always enjoyed using Sony Readers for their PDF support, I was really excited for the Zoom and Pan features in the PRS-950. Alas, what I've found is very dissapointing. When the reader is used in the landscape orientation Sony has decided that Zoom'ing greater than 100% of the screen width is not important. So for instance if I wanted to zoom in on an illustration of a plotted graph, well, too bad so sad. I truly pray that someone will reply to this and say: "Abisha" try this... Because at this point in time, I can come to no other conclusion that PDF Zoom and Pan in landscape mode is completely worthless and that Sony put no effort into improving their firmware from last generation to this.
After using a PRS900 for a while to read PDFs... I just bought an iPad.

I like the PRS900. As a matter of fact, I just ordered a PRS950 as well. For books, newspapers and magazines.

But for PDFs... get an iPad...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #20
winc01
winc01 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs900
prs-950 authentication problem

Just got a new 950 today and ran into a problem trying to authenticate. So I could use it. It threw up a 2025 error code when I entered my Adobe name and password. Sony passed me on to Adobe and the Adobe support chap passed me to a email support page that I have not received a response from yet. I had no problems logging in to Adobe. Anyone else have problems in this area that they solved? I have a 900 that is still working. I also have Adobe Digital Editions on my Mac, if that makes any difference. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
winc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #21
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by winc01 View Post
Just got a new 950 today and ran into a problem trying to authenticate. So I could use it. It threw up a 2025 error code when I entered my Adobe name and password. Sony passed me on to Adobe and the Adobe support chap passed me to a email support page that I have not received a response from yet. I had no problems logging in to Adobe. Anyone else have problems in this area that they solved? I have a 900 that is still working. I also have Adobe Digital Editions on my Mac, if that makes any difference. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
I initially had problems authorizing my new 950 as well. I can't remember the exact error code it threw at me though, sorry. What I do remember, is that when I contacted Sony with the error code, they had me reset the device, they also contacted Adobe on my behalf and removed my other devices from my account.

Perhaps you could try authorizing your device while it is tethered to your computer? Sometimes I've had issues with certain mobile devices not handling 'strong' passwords. I'm working on the presumption you are trying to authorize your 950 using the device's wireless/3G.
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #22
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
you have to authorize your 950 before you can start using it? or is this something to do with using the 3g? Im a little lost here and this is the first time I hear this, but since i plan on ordering a 950 to Europe, it would be a 500$ surprise that i would not enjoy to find out that it is useless..
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #23
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
omg this is probably the wrong thread for this post but since the previous posts mentioned adobe.... did this guy mistake the sony prs-950 for a tablet, or am I mistaken http://forums.adobe.com/message/3242393?tstart=0
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:08 AM   #24
winc01
winc01 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs900
Quote:
Originally Posted by winc01 View Post
Just got a new 950 today and ran into a problem trying to authenticate. So I could use it..
Resolved the problem. First the Sony support chat sent me to Adobe which was a disaster. Later I called Sony and they were very helpful. The problem was that I had a prior password with Adobe that conflicted with the Adobe registration. Sony just reset my Adobe password. Problem solved. Enjoying the new Reader.
winc01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
950, prs, prs-950, review, sony