Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
cegrundler
Enthusiast
cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
My super easy, super cheap (less than $3) DIY Kindle Cover solution...

When not in hand my Kindle resides in my favorite old messenger bag, a space it shares with my wallet, netbook, digital camera, digital recorder, Ipod and, on any given day, a random truck or boat part in transit to or from said truck or boat. It’s a simple fact of life that all things in my bag must all coexist and though there are separate compartments to prevent gadget scuffles, a bit of protection is good insurance. However, there were two things holding me back from buying one of those Kindle covers you see on Amazon: 1. I’m too cheap -- uhm, I mean frugal, and 2. It just wouldn’t be me if I didn’t somehow come up with my own jury-rigged version, one more specific to my own use.

I dislike anything that bulks up some nice slim gadget — with the collection I carry ever bit of bulk adds up. And more important, all those lovely fancy covers attach in a way that, by all appearances, look as though it would obstruct me from holding the Kindle in my left hand and pressing the left side ‘next page’ button while cooking or holding a cup of tea/eating chips/whatever with my right hand. I came up with a solution using a rugged plastic 2 pocket folder I bought in Staples and some Command strips. It's simple, easy, sturdy, cheap and removable, and the whole thing cost less than $3. I figured I'd share it with anyone who might be interested and I posted the absurdly simple steps and pictures on my blog for anyone who'd like to see.

http://cegrundler.wordpress.com/2010...-kindle-cover/

Last edited by cegrundler; 08-30-2010 at 06:03 AM.
cegrundler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:57 AM   #2
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
That looks great, but I like your padded version even better. I think I'm going to try it with leather. My daughter has a lambskin jacket with a shredded sleeve. I've been hoping to recycle it in some way, and this looks like a winner.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:30 AM   #3
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Wow that's super easy to a make and looks great. Thanks for the idea. I'll try it sometimes.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
That really does look great, and easy enough for even those of us who seem to have clunky toes where our crafty fingers should be.

And Superstitious, that little cat is priceless!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Wow, thanks for posting. I've been waiting for my Belkin, but maybe I can do something in the meantime so my kindle can come out of the house.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
And Superstitious, that little cat is priceless!
Isn't he/she cute? I found it on the internet while looking for my Nook screensaver. Now I only wish my 2 boys are as cute! Well, they are but in different way I guess
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
cegrundler
Enthusiast
cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!cegrundler is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

That cat is adorable. Then again, I think all cats are. A month back my husband surprised me with a little calico girl he'd found living feral; she's a total mush and he couldn't leave her on the street.

Win a one-of-a-kind Kindle cover in the ‘Only in New Jersey’ Contest!

Last edited by cegrundler; 09-01-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Good for him!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
cegrundler
Enthusiast

Yeah, he's a total softy when it comes to animals, especially cats, and they seem to know it.

Win a one-of-a-kind Kindle cover in the ‘Only in New Jersey’ Contest!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
cegrundler
Enthusiast

:-) "Bump!"
Old 09-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
cegrundler
Enthusiast

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Old 09-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #12
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Great idea! Just to let you know as a fellow lefty that the Amazon lighted cover is great for us. The cover folds back out of the way for one handed lefty page turning.

Personally, I knit a sock for my Kindle.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
cegrundler
Enthusiast

My friend has a new K3 with the lighted cover and I'll have to admit it is nice! She folds it back as well, and the light tucks down so neatly it's hard to tell it's there. It's got my brain going trying to figure a way to top that. I have some ideas I'm working on in my head, only I've been too busy to actually play with them.

Tags
cheap, diy, easy, simple