Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 10:54 PM   #16
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Wifi, Nexus 7 (2013), Samsung Tab 10.1
I agree with ficbot [http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=3] on this: forget the cash out of pocket -- my time is more valuable. So, I give myself permission to "bail".

Still, something has to be pretty dreadful (to me) to quit part way through. If I am experiencing heavy weather, I will sometimes switch to something else for a few days. But if I've put something aside for, say, 30 days, odds are low I will ever return to it.

I've also been reading for a few years now ... so while I certainly try to stretch, I also have a reasonable idea if the synopsis or sample chapter appeals. I've probably bailed on 2 titles since re-discovering reading with my Kindle 2 in Nov 2009 .. and I've read about 50 books since. I can handle 4% "loss".

One final point: while I am not first in line to buy a $20 e-book, the law of averages is ok for me. My total ebook spend averages somewhere around $4 (some books free, some library books, some closer to $10 or occasionally more) ... so bailing even on an "expensive" title gets averaged in to what is overall a relatively inexpensive and very satisfying hobby: reading for pleasure.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #17
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, iPad, Nook Classic
I finish 99% of the books I start and I have a bad habit of finishing something I'm not liking. A friend of mine just made this same argument that the time I am wasting reading a book I don't enjoy is much more valuable than the few dollars the book might have cost. I just have this weird mentality that I have to finish something I start and I always worry that I am bailing to soon and the book may turn around, but that rarely happens.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Interesting that I'm not the only one who has trouble with Kurt Vonnegut's books. He also wrote "Cat's Cradle." lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseKR View Post
I'm guilty of this every once in a while, most recently with "Player Piano" by Kurt Vonnegut. It may be the only book of his I try reading.
crich70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #19
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 1, PRS-650, Sony S Tablet
Since I read for pleasure, I have no problem not finishing a book if it holds no interest. Sometimes if its been highly recommended, I'll put it down and give it another try later. If I still can't get into it, then its unlikely I will pick it up again.

In recent years, I do find myself finishing most of the books I start for two reasons:

- Online reviews at Amazon - I seldom buy a book nowadays without looking it up. I don't just look at the overall rating but also why people liked or didn't like a book (and compare it to what I like/dislike).

- ebooks - I find it much easier to skim through a book..often, I find books that I would normally put down do pick up once you get into them.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #20
matthewcplourde
Enthusiast
matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I very often don't finish a book... maybe I'm picky, maybe I'm lazy, maybe my hectic life keeps getting in the way.

I'm hoping my new iPad will make me a better reader - ie, my books are always with me on the plane, etc.
matthewcplourde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #21
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Do not wonder anymore, you have all the answers here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Jellby has kindly provided a link to the previous discussion on the subject:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93397

Can we please continue the discussion there? There's no point in having duplicate threads.

Thanks!

Hmm, I responded in the old thread. However, these are the kind of reactions one tends to see from older members in all kind of forums... 'We've discussed that a long time ago', 'We've had this poll in the far history' etc. Its difficult, for both sided, to define where's the fine line between welcoming and showing new members around and the 'now get of my lawn' type of reactions.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #22
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
No. If I don't like something (and I'll admit, it's hard to grab my attention), I move on to the next book. Life is too short for me to keep reading and waiting for something to happen that pulls me into the story.

But that's just me ~

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #23
Zootoo
Zootoo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS -300/Sony PRS-350 & 650 & T1/Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 2
I'd say I finish 99% of the books too. I'm pretty good at picking books that I like to read, generally if I buy one book by an author, I'll buy all their other books too. I like to read all genres except romance lol
Zootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, T2; KPW2; iPad Mini Retina; Nooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I used to; I would feel guilty if I spent money and then did not finish, like I was not getting my money's worth on the book. Then someone on this forum said I should think about how my money was already wasted, did I want to waste my *time* too? And now I do not feel guilty about abandoning a book if it is not working for me That happens less often now as I am much more careful about what I buy, of course
That's a great perspective. Thanks! I'll try to remember it next time I want to give up on a book and feel guilty. I usually slug it out to the very last page. One of the reasons I just added a Kindle to my ereader collection was the ease at which one can sample books with little "investment" in either money or time.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:45 AM   #25
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I've noticed a disturbing tendency since getting my Kindle. I seem to give up on books a lot more often than I used to. Has anyone else noticed this with an ereader?

The other side of the coin may be that I'm a lot harder to impress than I used to be. I've just finished Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere", which I found on the "most gripping books" list at goodreads.

It was a struggle. I really didn't get it. The character had nothing going for him, was spineless, and basically followed a group of women through a fantasy world that Gaiman kept undermining with dumb humour.

I was like, "Neh", as the Ys would say, though I'm sure there's plenty of people who'd disagree with me.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #26
amy.patkins
amy.patkins began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I finish them all!
amy.patkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #27
marty888
marty888 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 - wifi + 3G
Once I realized that I'll never get to read all the books that I'd actually like, I gave up trying to finish something that was a slog.
marty888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #28
kebuzf
Enthusiast
kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I find myself giving a book the 100 page test
If it keeps my interest I'll finish it

if not...well, I'll peek at the ending and move on
Life's too short and there's too much left to read
kebuzf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #29
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer
bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I always read before bed. The only reason that I haven't finished books is if I find that they are giving me nightmares. I didn't used to be this thin skinned, but lately I've had a few really vivid nightmares which have made me more cautious. Of course, these nightmares have been good inspiration for my writing, so it hasn't been all bad. But getting a good night's sleep is a prerequisite for a productive workday for me, so... Examples of nightmare inducing books for me lately: H.P. Lovecraft and some World War Two books that detail real(istic) combat experiences.
If I'm reading a book that I'm not enjoying, I do tend to skim through it to make sure it doesn't pickup later.
bthrowsnaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #30
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrowsnaill View Post
I always read before bed. The only reason that I haven't finished books is if I find that they are giving me nightmares. I didn't used to be this thin skinned, but lately I've had a few really vivid nightmares which have made me more cautious.
At one stage I was reading so much that I used to dream of text.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote