Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #16
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Ahmed] View Post
Blegh, finding a nice TTF is harder than I thought. Theoretically I'd have a nice TTF Garamond, but it's either too small and thin (bad contrast then) or too big for my taste.

What fonts do you guys use?

Garamond and E-Ink don't seem to play nice. ArnoPro has a similar (tall serif) look, and it displays well on my Opus, so I'm curious how it would look on a Kindle 3's Pearl screen.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Fontin is a rather nice font.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Hmm, a few things to check:

* Make sure you're on the Home screen before plugging the Kindle
Did that.

Quote:
* Yep, hyphens, not underscores ;P
Made that correction but still no change.

Quote:
* Make sure the font is valid. (And a true non OpenType TrueType font, I have no idea how it handles non pure TrueType fonts).
I used the same Fontin font you put together for me for the K2 font hack.

Quote:
* Restart your Kindle afterwards, *without* trying to open a book before that.
Did that as well via the settings menu and also tried the 20 sec hold on the slider switch.

I also saved an original copy of the reader.pref file (renamed reader.pref.original) that I saved in a separate directory on my in case I messed up when editing.

I have noticed that after the font change fails and I go back to check the reader.pref file, the lines have been rearranged from the original. Does that matter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fonts in folder.PNG
Views:	859
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	58559   Click image for larger version

Name:	readerpref_explorer.PNG
Views:	804
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	58560  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #19
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@daffy4u: Yeah, that usually means that the Reader booklet was somehow still open. Staying only on the Home screen usually takes care of that, that's weird... AFAICT, it shouldn't change a thing, but on which FW version are you? I only tried this on 3.0.2.

@all: Fonts without/with crappy TrueType hinting instructions may look way fuzzier than they did on the K2.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #20
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Garamond and E-Ink don't seem to play nice.
Seriously... I've just tried Garamond Pro and Minion Pro (two of my favourites) on my K3, but they both look terrible, except on the two largest point settings. But then they're too big for me.

Curious to hear how Arno Pro works out for you.

veezh
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@daffy4u: Yeah, that usually means that the Reader booklet was somehow still open. Staying only on the Home screen usually takes care of that, that's weird... AFAICT, it shouldn't change a thing, but on which FW version are you? I only tried this on 3.0.2.
I'm on 3.0.2. I just had to do another factory restart because I couldn't open my content after trying again. I'm sure I'm missing some simple little step.

I'm going to hold off until the regular font hack is ready. Thanks for trying to help me.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #22
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@daffy4u: The only other thing I can think of is notepad++ putting crap in the file... Like converting UNIX line-endings to DOS or MAC line endings, which would explain why it upsets the Reader.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-21-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #23
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
@daffy4u: The only other thing I can think of is notepad++ putting crap in the file... Like converting UNIX line-endings to DOS or MAC line endings, which would explain why it upsets the Reader.
I tried it again using regular notepad by dragging and dropping the reader.pref file onto an open blank notepad page. Made the changes. Factory resetting for the 3rd time.

Maybe someone could make a quickie YouTube video walking through the steps.

I swear this was the last time trying this. (I probably will try again but not today)
Old 09-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #24
gca3020
gca3020 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Making the changes in notepad.exe will definitely not work. When you press "Enter" in notepad, or in many other windows tools, it will insert two characters, a Carriage Return <CR>, as well as a Line Feed <LF>.

If you're unfamiliar with this, think about a real-life typewriter. A <CR> simply returns the carriage to the beginning of the line (the one you've presumably already typed on), and a <LF> will simply move down a line (you'll still be in the same column). When in a Windows program like notepad, the return key will actually insert both of these characters automatically, one to bring you to the next line, and one to bring you to the beginning of that line.

In *nix based systems, the standard is to use a single character to denote a newline. I believe it is a <CR>, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. This means if you try to open a Windows-based text file on a *nix-based system, it will see extra characters it is not expecting (In this case the <LF>).

I'm sure there's a setting in Notepad++ to preserve the line endings on the original file, what this will do is look at the file and look at the very first line ending. If it is a <CR><LF> then it will say "ok, any time the user presses return, I'll insert both". If it sees only a single <CR> then it will know that when you press return, it will insert just a single <CR>.

If you want to be absolutely sure the line endings are not your culprit, you should open the file in NP++. Make the edit you want, and then on the menu, select Edit->EOL Conversion->UNIX Format. If this option is greyed out, then it means the file is already UNIX line endings, and you have some other problem.

As a side note, has anyone found a suitable font for the Kindle with all of it's hinting/rendering uniqueness? I don't mind the default condensed font terribly, but find it less readable than opening up a p-book. I'm not a typographer, so I don't know the traditional paperback book font. Garamond perhaps?
gca3020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #25
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yep, it's a single LF (\n) for UNIX line endings . There's even a weirder setting for legacy Mac OS systems.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #26
bob coxner
bob coxner began at the beginning.

Device: none
TextPad is a Unix aware text editor. They have a 14 day free trial period. http://www.textpad.com/

EditPad Lite is another one and it's free. http://www.editpadlite.com/

* EditPad reads and writes UNIX (LF only) and Mac (CR only) text files (in addition to DOS/Windows CR+LF files, of course)
bob coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #27
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gca3020 View Post
Making the changes in notepad.exe will definitely not work. When you press "Enter" in notepad, or in many other windows tools, it will insert two characters, a Carriage Return <CR>, as well as a Line Feed <LF>.
Worked fine for me. Just pressed enter before each of the two inserted lines. I'm sure a dedicated editor will work more reliably, though.

Using a Garamond type font at the moment. I think I'll stick with it.

It's the second one I tried: the first had characters that were too slender and the 'f's and 'j's didn't have ornate enough 'tails' to be legible at a glance. Switched to a bolder Garamond (don't remember exactly which one I chose), and it's great at only one size larger than I had the K3 default font. Great readability, and looks just like typography from a novel .
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #28
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Currently debugging the full Fonts hack, and, yeah, good hinting instructions change *everything*!. Droid Serif is now sharp as hell, where it was completely horrible on the K2!

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-11-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #29
911jason
Zealot
911jason doesn't litter911jason doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
That's good to hear NiLuJe... after seeing the posts here about the fonts looking pretty bad, I decided not to change the fonts since I'm pretty happy with the default sans serif. Maybe I'll be tempted to try it out after the full hack is released and I hear some results.

Thanks again for all the work you do! I tried to throw some more Karma your way, but it told me I had to spread it around before I could give you more! =)
911jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And here we go, the full hack is out! .