Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Discussion: Killing Floor by Lee Child (spoilers)

Seem like many are enjoying this book... Why is it so great. What about it do you like?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I really enjoyed to book...

One thing that puzzled me was, when Jack tackled the 5 people in/near the house and when there were 2 people left, he took one outside by putting his fingers in the man's eyes... Why didn't that man scream?

This is the only thing I really remember that I was confused about.. I read the book as soon as I knew it was going to win.

I'm sure as comments come in, I'll remember more..

I was lucky to get it on WHSmith before they closed all sales for non-UK residents.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I missed the boat on this one.....trying to catch up, this is actually a really good book, and I will be reading more of them, but I'm only 75 pages in at the moment so I'll check back in a couple days....hope to have it done by then.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I really enjoyed the book, but I found that the discovery that it was his brother who was killed in the town he just happened to drift into was a bit of a stretch.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
voodooblues
Connoisseur
voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad(3 or HD or whatever), iPad Mini, Kindle 7" hdx, Samsung 7 tab 3
"I really enjoyed the book, but I found that the discovery that it was his brother who was killed in the town he just happened to drift into was a bit of a stretch."

I agree that it caught me at first until i remembered that he had gone to check out the story of the death of an old blues guitar player that his brother told him about. That gave a week reason that his brother knew about the town
voodooblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
One thing that puzzled me was, when Jack tackled the 5 people in/near the house and when there were 2 people left, he took one outside by putting his fingers in the man's eyes... Why didn't that man scream?
On that occasion, it was raining fit to beat the band .... and nothing could be heard above the rain. The occasion where he did the same action in the jail bathroom -- well, that guy DID scream.

I very much liked the basic "cheat" that the bad guys were doing. Bleaching out an item to make another item sounds so clever! Especially since the lead bad guy had previously run afoul of the law for his chemical plant runoff.

I also like the fact that (a) Jack's childhood of moving a lot had made him tough and (b) he then went into the military, where they taught him to be *serious* about it. It gave him some cool defense skills.

I had trouble, though, with his ease in finding the run-away person. Guessing that right seemed awfully far fetched. He should instead have had to go to a library, get all the local phone books, and phoned around to find the correct hotel, before driving there. (Since this was before the internet).

And come on --- a huge pile of loose money? Sure, it sounds cool, and it's necessary for it to be able to burn. But all the remote collections of money would have come in bags or something ... not just tossed loose into a truck! There should have been no need for shoveling it up. Sheesh.....

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 09-21-2010 at 02:53 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The violence was not too gruesome/graphic for the situation. So if excessive violence is not your thing, you may be ok here.

I do agree that the fact that it was Jack's brother killed was definitely a stretch. But given the connection of the blind blues singer and his brother, I was able to let that go and just get into it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Actually the whole books is a *big* stretch.

But that doesn't prevent the book from being a page-turner. I thoroughly enjoyed it and his second book is already on my TBR pile.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Here's my review.

The action hero myth is alive and well, sort of...

Killing Floor is the first book in, former TV writer, Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. I'd heard good things about this series and picked up a trade paperback copy of Killing Floor a few years ago, but never seemed to get around to reading it.

Jack Reacher is your typical action hero. He's a big, strong ex-military guy who's smarter and tougher than pretty much anyone around and he gets the girl. He doesn't have a lot of depth (none of the characters do), but sometimes that's OK. It's got blood and guts and double digit body counts. Part Die Hard, part Rambo, part Sherlock Holmes (without the plausibility Holmes brings). At times Reacher has a caricature feel to him, but that's kind of the point in a way.

The book begins with our hero, the only out of towner in sight, having breakfast at the local diner. He sees Police cruisers pull up fast and cops loaded for bear jump out. He knows they're there for him, if they'd been there a local things would have been much more low key. The cops tell him "You are under arrest for murder", and so begins our story.

What follows is a twisting, turning, adventure with murder and mayhem aplenty. Even though Reacher, a victim of military downsizing who's been drifting around the country since his discharge, wasn't even in the state at the time he's suspect number one in the brutal murder of a John Doe. Add to that the authorities have the most solid of witnesses, the Chief of Police. After his alibi pans out Reacher is released, but not before some gruesome action in the local prison, and free to go. However it turns out that the John Doe just happens to be Reacher's brother Joe, a top treasury investigator. Strangely enough no one from Treasury comes to investigate a murder of one of their own so it's up to Reacher, a former MP, and his sidekicks a straight shooting local detective and a hottie lady cop, who quickly takes Reacher into her bed. As the investigation continues Reacher and company unearth a conspiracy which encompasses not only the small town of Margrave, Georgia but stretches around the US and all the way to Venezuela. There are blood and bullets aplenty as our hero works to determine who's involved and bring them to justice, and not the legal kind of justice.

The action scenes were plenty and enjoyable. There are copious plot twists, unfortunately very few of them are at all believable. There are so many coincidences and that along with the main characters nearly clairvoyant ability to reach deductions, like tracking down a missing witness/conspirator, made it pretty hard to maintain a suspension of disbelief.

That being said, Killing Floor is a fairly fast paced ride that provides a decent action movie type diversion.
Overall I like it. C/C+
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
And come on --- a huge pile of loose money? Sure, it sounds cool, and it's necessary for it to be able to burn. But all the remote collections of money would have come in bags or something ... not just tossed loose into a truck! There should have been no need for shoveling it up. Sheesh.....
I had the same thought when reading that part of the book. Seems like the old dollar bills should have been bundled or bagged, not floating loose.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe they didn't have time for bags?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Hmmm. They're getting the money from banks (hence the guy who previously worked at shuffling $$ between banks). Banks aren't gonna just toss the bills in the back of a truck! Even if they *were* intended for destruction, and I'm not sure they were. The scheme was to tap into the normal "shuffling" of physical cash.

I'll assume a wink at the end of your post, and I'll shut up now!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
You know, I liked this one. Kind of filled the gap after the end of 24. I found the Jacks to be eerily similar.

Did anyone see Castle last night? Similar plot between Killing Floor and the new Castle episode.

Last edited by jaxx6166; 09-21-2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Spoilers
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #14
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I got kind of fixated on his use of the word "jinked." (5 times, according to a quick kindle search.) Since I had to look it up the first time he used it, I noticed it every other time and kept waiting for it.

I can honestly say I've never heard that word used before. I get it, I understand it, but it's just not common in anything I've read up to now.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:18 AM   #15
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I just got to the part about the brother....I can forgive it, the rest of the book is just too good, and I'm a sucker for action/adventure/suspense books.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote