Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Comparison of retina display to Pearl eInk

Here are two side by side comparisons of the new Pearl eInk screen in my Kindle WiFi and the retina display from my iPod touch 4th gen. The Pearl is on top and the touch on bottom. I didn't have the same book installed on the Kindle, so this is a different book and probably a different font, but they are close to the same size. This is a composite from full size 12 MP high resolution photos. In all fairness the K3 does not have backlighting, nevertheless the retina display is much clearer than the Pearl eInk.

I was rather shocked by the comparison as I would have thought that the Pearl eInk screen would have been much better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ipod-pearl-comparison-closeup.jpg
Views:	1068
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	58006  
Old 09-14-2010, 06:08 AM   #2
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Why would you think that? iPhone's new screen as a much higher resolution, so the difference is obvious, specially with small fonts. That's useful in a iPhone with such limited screen size, but almost irrelevant on a Kindle, unless for some reason you like to read with tiny font sizes.

And the advantages of eink screens over LCD/LED's are still the same.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Those artifacts in the upper (Pearl) picture look rather like JPEG compression. Did you process both images the same?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Those artifacts in the upper (Pearl) picture look rather like JPEG compression. Did you process both images the same?
Agreed; seems like jpg compression.

Also, how do you like the Touch? I'm anxiously awaiting mine; Amazon estimates 1-2 weeks more before delivery. I've already got a wish list full of games. What eReader app are you using? Kindle or some other one?

I also agree with Over, in that a smaller screen needs higher resolution to be as useful. Not as much in this case, since LCD is more versatile for tasks other than reading.

Last edited by JeremyZ; 09-14-2010 at 09:40 AM.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Joe Minton
eReader
Joe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony 650, iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, Nook: Touch/Glow/Color/Tablet
I own both the PRS-300, 600 & now the Touch 4G. There simply is no comparison; the Touch screen is, by far, sharper and clearer than any Sony reader, including the PRS- 650.

I went to a nearby Sony "Style" store and compared the new PRS-350 and 650 to my collection (PRS-300, 600 and Ipod Touch 4G). The 4G was clearly the best of the lot. Never mind its other superior capabilities, the Apple gadget is the best reader I have seen. Except ---

It is small and those with problems like my friend's macular degeneration cannot use it. It does not have a convenient dictionary, highlighting or anotation capabilities. Also, It does need a recharge after some hours instead of some days. One more thing: all the readers using the eink screen do better in direct sunlight. Still I prefer my new 4G to either of my PRS's in anything but direct sunlight, including bright north-sky shade.

I am a person driven by facts. I, previously, supported the Sony approach to ereaders and may still buy a 650. However, it is clear that the "touch 4G" is superior in every way but those referenced above.

Joe
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Both images are from the same photo (K3 and ipod side by side) and were not processed by me. The camera most likely did some processing, but I cannot control that.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
Joe Minton
eReader
Joe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony 650, iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, Nook: Touch/Glow/Color/Tablet
The apparent .jpg compression is likely a result of the fuzziness of the original. If the edges of the eink example were very well defined (high MTF), the jpeg pixilation would be less. The jpeg compression pixilation artifacts actually support jswinden's subjective evaluation of the two screens, an evaluation I wholly support.

Joe
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #8
Verres
Zealot
Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
To expect a significant different result from any comparison done between displays with and without backlighting is in my opinion not very realistic. I mean if you go outside in bright sunlight and do the same "test" pictures continuously for lets say two or three weeks in a row without recharging you would obviously notice the major differences between the two display types and their respective functionalities.

Last edited by Verres; 09-15-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Verres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
sigmax
Connoisseur
sigmax has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SONY PRS-300
well stated, Verres! ipod lcd will easily byte the dust when confronted with less than lcd-ideal circumstances
sigmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now try reading the iPod outside in direct sunlight and see which is better,
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
Also, how do you like the Touch? I'm anxiously awaiting mine; Amazon estimates 1-2 weeks more before delivery. I've already got a wish list full of games. What eReader app are you using? Kindle or some other one?
Congrats on your new touch. I really like mine and use it all the time at home. It's also great to take along while traveling to stay connected to the net; and it's a great time waster while waiting for appointments.

I don't read on mine because the screen is too small, but I downloaded all of the major apps just in case. What I really use it for is audio streaming and audiobooks; it's great for that. I have speaker docks scattered about the house and take my touch with me as I move from room to room.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Minton View Post
It does not have a convenient dictionary, highlighting or anotation capabilities.
That's app-dependent and should be easily addressed assuming the app developer is motivated to add the aforementioned functionality. Pretty sure Stanza already has those functions.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now try reading the iPod outside in direct sunlight and see which is better,
Or, you can try reading an eInk in the dark and see which is better. For many of us it is a given that we will have two or more readers for various situations as neither eInk or LCD based readers will ever work adequately in every lighting situation.

BTW, you guys resurrected a long since dead thread...not that there is anything wrong with that...

Last edited by jswinden; 06-07-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Or, you can try reading an eInk in the dark and see which is better. For many of us it is a given that we will have two or more readers for various situations as neither eInk or LCD based readers will ever work adequately in every lighting situation.
E-ink requires a bright external light in the dark, like a book does...

I appreciate that e-ink works well in sunlight, but I don't think the e-ink vs LCD debate is about lighting.

E-ink is easier on the eyes. You can read on it for hours without getting blurry eyes if used with a good light.
LCD is LCD. Most people would have trouble reading a novel on it. You will get blurry eyes.

At least, that's my experience.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote