Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #226
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumhalf View Post
Does anyone known if any English public libraries have ebook lending services. My own in the rural midlands doesn't yet.
Yes they do. Check the wiki for a list of public libraries that lend eBooks.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #227
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
scrumhalf--

Go to overdrive's website at:

http://search.overdrive.com/classic/

on the bottom right, you can choose a country to see a list of the available libraries.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #228
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Does anyone known if any English public libraries have ebook lending services. My own in the rural midlands doesn't yet.
No doubt they are available, but like living in Wyoming, they probably have to load it onto a micro drive and bring it out to you on horseback. lol. No, wait. Rural England. They probably bring it in a buggy.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. When I was in the USAF in the South US, ran into a guy who really thot you still had to catch the stage coach in Denver to get to Seattle. Of course, that was back in the early 60's. Now we have the Iron Horse. LOL.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #229
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
My wife has recently started getting ePub (Adobe DRM) books from Manchester Libraries. I don't know what their rules are for joining remotely or anything like that.

I had a quick browse of their catalogue and it is in a good initial state but not enough sci-fi, fantasy, or horror last time I looked.

We did have a minor issue that we had been using Calibre to transfer DRM'd books bought from the likes of Waterstones and that had been working fine but to get the library books to work on our PRS-505 readers we had to install the latest Adobe Digital Editions and the latest Sony Reader software and then we had to use DE to tranfer the books to the reader otherwise they wouldn't work.

Cheers,
Terry.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #230
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerTez View Post
...but to get the library books to work on our PRS-505 readers we had to install the latest Adobe Digital Editions and the latest Sony Reader software and then we had to use DE to tranfer the books to the reader otherwise they wouldn't work.

Cheers,
Terry.
I am assuming the other DRMd books you ran thru Calibre weren't ADE, or once again my limited knowledge is even more limited than usual. My understanding is that to use ADE with Sony you have to have Sony Reader software installed as well.

To use ADE, with bought or borrowed, means having to drag and drop them thru ADE, no matter what reader you use, so Sony only has that little extra requirement.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #231
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
I am assuming the other DRMd books you ran thru Calibre weren't ADE, or once again my limited knowledge is even more limited than usual. My understanding is that to use ADE with Sony you have to have Sony Reader software installed as well.

To use ADE, with bought or borrowed, means having to drag and drop them thru ADE, no matter what reader you use, so Sony only has that little extra requirement.
They were ADE. The full process that worked through Calibre for non-library books was:
(1) Pay for book at online store
(2) Download the .acsm link (I think that's the right extension)
(3) Double-click it
(4) ADE opens, asks me for my Adobe ID and password, and then downloads the book
(5) Open Calibre
(6) Add the book to the Calibre library
(7) Transfer it to my reader

I think the key point is that I'd already authorised my reader under a previous Windows installation (in fact on a different PC) and I had not installed the Sony Library software until I had to put a library book on my wife's reader.

I think that's good news because it means that once a reader is authorised on any PC you don't need the Sony software to transfer books to the reader as long as you're using the same Adobe ID for the reader and the ADE download.

Both my wife and I use the same Adobe ID so our books are fully transferable between our devices - unless they're library books.

Cheers,
Terry.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #232
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?

Thanks for taking the time to clarify. This will be handy info for someone buying a Sony.

Now. About the Library book non-transferable thing.

You did so well explaining your other process, perhaps if you type slowly, you can clarify my misunderstanding on this for me, too. Often what a person says comes thru past-experience filters into another's head as something totally different, so let me ask it this way:

Are you saying that if you have downloaded a book from the library onto your PC and dropped it onto one authorized ereader, you can't then connect a second authorized ereader and drop it onto that one, too?

Are you also unable to go into the library account with the other PC and download it for the other reader? I know the books are available to be re-downloaded in the cart right up til the due date. Fact of the matter, I just checked and am reminded that four of the books I have out are due today. But I would be able to download them again, if I needed to (since as long as I don't connect the reader to ADE, I get to finish the two I haven't read, yet, beyond the due date).

I am curious because one of these days I'm gonna buy a second reader so my wife can get library books -- which she can't do yet with her iPad -- and I would have thought one could load a borrowed book on two readers authorized for the same ADE.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #233
makani
Enthusiast
makani began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-505
returning books

I use the overdrive library system to download books from my local library to my Sony prs 505. I have to put the desired book on reserve frequently as it is already out on loan. I discoverd somthing receintly that might help us all to get our eooks from the library a lot quicker.

I downloaded an available book to my computer and then to my reader, then I disconected the reader and returned the book stored on my computer to the library. I was still able to read the book on my reader for the alloted time it was checked out, but now someone else would also have access to the book right away. If we all followed this procedure it would shorten the wait times and increase the number of books availlable.
makani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #234
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by makani View Post
I use the overdrive library system to download books from my local library to my Sony prs 505. I have to put the desired book on reserve frequently as it is already out on loan. I discoverd somthing receintly that might help us all to get our eooks from the library a lot quicker.

I downloaded an available book to my computer and then to my reader, then I disconected the reader and returned the book stored on my computer to the library. I was still able to read the book on my reader for the alloted time it was checked out, but now someone else would also have access to the book right away. If we all followed this procedure it would shorten the wait times and increase the number of books availlable.
The reason there is a limit is because the Library only purchased a certain number of books. You are trying to defeat the copyright system and causing the library to break the agreement they have with the publishers.

By the way, this is why many libraries do not even permit early check in.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:50 AM   #235
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to clarify. This will be handy info for someone buying a Sony.

Now. About the Library book non-transferable thing.

You did so well explaining your other process, perhaps if you type slowly, you can clarify my misunderstanding on this for me, too. Often what a person says comes thru past-experience filters into another's head as something totally different, so let me ask it this way:

Are you saying that if you have downloaded a book from the library onto your PC and dropped it onto one authorized ereader, you can't then connect a second authorized ereader and drop it onto that one, too?

Are you also unable to go into the library account with the other PC and download it for the other reader? I know the books are available to be re-downloaded in the cart right up til the due date. Fact of the matter, I just checked and am reminded that four of the books I have out are due today. But I would be able to download them again, if I needed to (since as long as I don't connect the reader to ADE, I get to finish the two I haven't read, yet, beyond the due date).

I am curious because one of these days I'm gonna buy a second reader so my wife can get library books -- which she can't do yet with her iPad -- and I would have thought one could load a borrowed book on two readers authorized for the same ADE.
What I tried was connecting my Sony Reader to my laptop and then dragging the file onto my reader over the house network.

I haven't tried just connecting my reader to her laptop and using ADE to transfer it - primarily because the books she's getting from the library at the moment aren't ones I'm interested in

I'll be happy to try a little experiment to see if it works when she gets another book out in a few days.

@Dale - the Manchester library service doesn't allow early check-in but it does allow you to select from 7, 14, or 21 day lending so if you know it's going to be the next book you read and you read quickly then you can choose accordingly.

Cheers,
Terry.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #236
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?

Yeah, my understanding is that the book needs to be dragged and dropped within ADE, at least with Library books. I would presume that the home network wouldn't be visible to ADE, but you shouldn't have to wait til the next book your wife borrows.

I'm not sure how the drm thing works if your ADE account isn't the same on both computers. I know when I got a replacement reader recently, ADE didn't ask to authorize the new reader (with the old memory card plugged in), and I was able to access all the books on my memory card with the new reader, but was unable to drop any new books thru ADE.

I wasn't sure what was going on, so removed the "/digital editions" folder from the memory card and ereader memory. ADE then asked to authorize the new reader, a new "/digital editions" folder was created in each memory and I was able to access all books only after dragging and dropping them back on the new reader.

The preceding paragraphs are included because the following information is based on the assumption that the ADE on both computers is the same account. If not, I am not sure if you can authorize a reader to two different ADE accounts.

First, all books she has borrowed will be on the shelves in ADE, and if she hasn't clicked the menu arrow in the upper left of the book to delete it, even timed-out books will still be there. You should be able to just connect your reader to her computer, bring up ADE (assuming your reader is authorized, or that it can be authorized) and drag a book to your reader.

Second, unless you are using separate library accounts, you should just as easily be able to go into the library account from your computer and all current books should still be there available to download. In that case, you should be able to download, then drag and drop thru ADE onto your reader.

The option at your library to be able to select the timeframe for check out sure would make it easier to free up books for the next reader.

Last edited by eGeezer; 09-17-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: 'Cause I never say it the way I meant to on the first draft
Old 09-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #237
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Yeah, my understanding is that the book needs to be dragged and dropped within ADE, at least with Library books. I would presume that the home network wouldn't be visible to ADE, but you shouldn't have to wait til the next book your wife borrows.
No that's not true. Once you have used ADE to d/l it to your PC.. you can get it onto your device however you want to. Since your computer and reader are authorized to the same Adobe ID the file doesn't know how it got onto the reader.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #238
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Any word on whether the 350 software has fixed the Protected Page (Epub vs. PDF) conflict?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #239
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No that's not true. Once you have used ADE to d/l it to your PC.. you can get it onto your device however you want to. Since your computer and reader are authorized to the same Adobe ID the file doesn't know how it got onto the reader.

BOb
Thanks for the feedback. I just recall peeps trying to drag and drop around ADE and the solution always seems to be to drag and drop inside ADE. I'll check that out once I finish the library books that are past due atm.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #240
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Sorry Bob,
While this is true for purchased books, it is not true for books your get from a Library (books that are returnable). There is an additional bit of information that must also be transferred to make the book returnable. Currently only ADE or Sony EBL will transfer this additional set of information.

--
Jim Lester
Lead Engineer - Digital Publishing
Adobe Systems
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote