Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 10-19-2004, 06:27 PM   #1
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Super Pod

Check out this new puppy. The early 1.5Mb version, which is also wifi-enabled, goes for $150 on Amazon. I'm naturally interested to see price point of the 20Gb model.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:56 PM   #2
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note, Nexus7
Looks very nice. It's good to see some serious competition for Apple emerging at last. It can only benefit the consumer (ie us )

Craig.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:38 PM   #3
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
This market is rapidly flooding as everyone tries to cash in on Apple's model. This is great for us, as we'll get cheap prices for good toys. I plan to wait another 6-12 months and see what's there...
Old 10-20-2004, 04:06 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
Really looks nice, thanks for the brochure, Sunshine. I am slightly worried for Apple as the iPod is currently their main cash cow.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:57 AM   #5
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Really looks nice, thanks for the brochure, Sunshine. I am slightly worried for Apple as the iPod is currently their main cash cow.
Alexander,

Yes, the iPod is a huge success for Apple and is one of the main reason behind increased revenues. But I wouldn't worry too much about Apple's future: It's very bright IMO, and if you know much about OS X Tiger and the historic success of the transition from OS9 to OS X, I'd think you'd agree. I recommend taking the time to watch the WWDC Keynote Webcast if you're interested.

Factor the iPod/iTunes combo, the continued innovation in OS X and the upcoming Tiger release, and the innovation and real value on the hardware side with the PowerMac G5, the new Powerbooks (announced yesterday) and iMac redux, the best is yet to come. I won't even get into the benefits of OS X over Windows in terms of far better security, lack of viruses/spyware, etc, (which are all driving people to "switch" ).

Back OT: I think Wifi technology from AirPort Express will eventually finds its way into the iPod adding some great functionality and integrating seamlessly with iTunes and other iLife applications. Add that to rumors of an upcoming color iPod with iPhoto integration, and I think it's getting pretty clear that Apple will use the iPod as keystone in a "mobile digital hub" concept. The iPod has caused a revolution for portable music players and the recent explosion in Podcasting is another example of people finding innovative ways to use technology like the iPod. With Apple already having all of the seperate pieces of an integrated Podcasting creation/editing/distributing solution (iChat, Garage Band, iTunes and the upcoming Safari RSS in Tiger), OS X and Apple's hardware could be the platform of choice for even more creative minds and artists.

If you're looking for a real "SuperPod", I think Apple will continue to stay ahead of the hoards of imitators jumping on the bandwagon. Stay tuned, there's a big event scheduled for next week (10/26) that could reveal some of these plans.

Brian

Last edited by ballistic; 10-20-2004 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:31 AM   #6
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Yea, I'm not too worried about Apple either. Sure, they've had their ups and downs and are riding high right now, but so much of their market share is based on the "cult of mac" phenom. Through clever advertising and marketing strategies, they've managed to come back from the brink -- a huge feat for any company, but having good products to back it up doesn't hurt them.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:44 PM   #7
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
They changed the url: http://www.soniqcast.com/site/aireo2.html

I think something that most other iPod competitors have failed so far is the simplicity and yet elegance of the iPod series. Take the Aireo 2 for instance. It has all those great features like WiFi and FM Band. Why does it have to look like an ugly duck?

http://www.soniqcast.com/site/images/Aireo2web.jpg
Old 10-22-2004, 09:53 AM   #8
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

Do you think it's ugly? It's a heckuva lot nicer looking than the Dell Jukebox.