Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 03:13 AM   #16
briwayjones
Beo Neo!
briwayjones doesn't litterbriwayjones doesn't litter

Device: Bebook Neo
I'll put in my .02 which is basically what everyone else already said. The best program I've seen for bible Study is e-Sword followed by OliveTree. But you need some kind of computer device to use them. I haven't seen a good way to study on a e-ink device. Like the others said they are slow. I found a ASV bible in HTML format that uses hyperlinks to navigate with like someone else mentioned. But it only works so-so.
briwayjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:51 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmsu View Post
If you get the wifi Ipad, there is no dataplan, but you only have internet where you have wifi access.
I think if I get an Ipad I would only consider the wifi version to avoid the monthly data fees. I have an iPhone for when I need internet on the go using 3g.

I've used the ESV Study Bible on my iPhone, but the screen is very small and it is not useful for making lots of notes and such. I think the iPad may be just the thing in this case.

Good luck in your search!
Absolutely right; use WiFi and there are no fees for internet access. (Plus, of course, you can do lots of things with the iPad that don't involve internet access).

I have the ESV study bible with the Olive Tree Bible Reader app on the iPad; it's excellent, and far, far better than using a simple book reader.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #18
AndyPost
AndyPost began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch
eSword sounds like the best solution. My class I teach is a prison ministry, and I'm pretty sure they don't let laptops in. Pardon the pun, but they keep the place pretty locked down.

I'll check on that and consider a mini notebook of some sort. I'll also look at the entrourage (haven't even heard of it so thanks for the lead). I'll also check out the wifi iPad. My rep (a Mac devotee would be thrilled to see me holding an iAnything)

Sounds like I'll stick with paper for a while if neither solution works out and wait for the next Gen.

Thank you all very much for your fantastic input!
AndyPost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #19
jwhayn
Enthusiast
jwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW
I recommend PocketBible from Laridian. It runs on almost all the platforms and is surperb on the iPAD.
jwhayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
briwayjones
Beo Neo!
briwayjones doesn't litterbriwayjones doesn't litter

Device: Bebook Neo
You know, you might want to look into getting a netbook. Nice and small yet still has a keyboard so it would be easier to keep notes on.
briwayjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #21
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
+1 for Olive Tree on the iPad. No need for a data plan or 3G at all....

If not that then two netbooks....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:34 PM   #22
Critteranne
Evangelist
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop, iPad, Nook, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPost View Post
Hey Thrill Seekers,
I'm keen to get an ereader specifically for bible study. I've read complaints that the Kindle will have you turning one page at a time to move through large texts (like the bible??)

Is there a device out there that would lend itself to jumping to a particular book/chapter in the bible more than others?
I was tempted with a Zondervan e-book Bible when the price dropped on the B&N web site, but the reviews showed that most people had problems using it as a study Bible/reference.

Have you considered a dedicated electronic Bible, such as the devices put out by Franklin or Royal? Some of them even come with pull-out keyboards so you can type search text in, as well as dictionaries. Here are some examples with reviews.
Critteranne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:29 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
+1 for Olive Tree on the iPad. No need for a data plan or 3G at all....
I've used the Olive Tree stuff for years, originally on PDAs. The iPad version is the nicest yet, by far. Thoroughly recommended.

If I had to have a criticism of them, it would be that all their reference material is somewhat "evangelical" in nature. I study the bible personally, not as a religious text, but as a literary work, and I'd love to see Olive Tree make some of the literary study bibles and commentaries (eg the Oxford Bible Commentary) available for purchase.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:47 AM   #24
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I think one of the Bibles in my signature (also see the site) should address most, if not all, of your concerns. Especially, look at the NET Bible with 60,000 notes, sophisticated navigation and crosslinks and the ability to open any verse of the Bible in seconds (with Direct Verse Jump).
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #25
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by briwayjones View Post
You know, you might want to look into getting a netbook. Nice and small yet still has a keyboard so it would be easier to keep notes on.
I second the netbook notion (notebooks and laptops, too). I have a free Bible program on both my netbook and desktop called e-Sword. The program is free and one can download many Bibles and Bible related files (such as Bible dictionaries) free and others for a nominal fee. The program allows for searching, taking notes, and side by side version comparisons for up to 4 versions. It would be worth the expense and hassle of getting an extra device to gain the ease of use and additional functionality. One of the e-book readers I'm trying out has the King James version and it is pretty much useless because of a lack of bookmarks, etc. for navigation. The program doesn't need WiFi to work once the program is installed and you have downloaded the Bibles, etc. you want/need.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #26
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
For serious study, I would not recommend an e-ink device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
What he said.
What she said.

You might try googling "electronic Bibles", which are essentially specialized ereaders for the Bible, with features specific to Bible study. Franklin, I know, has been making them for at least a generation, and I see prices ranging from $25 (KJV only, of course) to $150. But I'm not sure if there are any with all the features you're looking for.

For home study on your PC, others are right -- e-sword is by far the best thing out there.

The best thing about e-sword is that it's free, and there is no end of translations (in dozens of languages; many have built-in Strong's numbers) and study materials (a couple dozen commentaries, nearly as many dictionaries and concordances, devotionals, maps, even the complete Church Fathers), and a lively community continuously producing more.

The worst thing about e-sword is that it's free, which means it depends on out-of-copyright (i.e., very old) study materials. Most of the translations are quite old as well. Though I see you can also purchase a few modern translations and study materials.

The only other thing to be aware of is that the study materials are heavily evangelical. If that's your persuasion, you'll be in heaven (figuratively!); if not, you'll find the study materials a bit disappointing. Still, for Catholics, e-sword has full support for the deuterocanonicals, and there are several translations available that include them (Vulgate, Douay-Rheims, KJV, RSV; there's even a copyright-violating NAV module); for study materials (aside from the Catholic Catechism, which I believe is available) Catholics will have to look elsewhere.

www.e-sword.net

[/commercial]

--Nathanael

Last edited by Nathanael; 07-25-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #27
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
As others have stated, E-Ink is not good for study, but its great for daily reading. The following are the two RSS feeds I have in Calibre that download the reading so I can sync to the Kindle:

ESV read thru the Bible in a Year (section from OT, Psalms, NT each day): http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/share/rss2....reading.bible/

ESV Read the Bible in 90 days(Chronological): http://www.biblegateway.com/resource...n=6&version=47
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #28
VentureForth
Enthusiast
VentureForth doesn't litterVentureForth doesn't litter

Device: Augen's The Book
I personally like youversion.com available for my Blackberry. Its totally free, but has access to many different translations because you are only "borrowing" when you are online. Again, data fees apply if applicable. Olive tree has some great resources for other smartphones and PCs.

Folks here are right, though. An eReader version of the Bible with a hyperlinked concordance seems to be outside the core usage of the typical eBook reader.
VentureForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #29
Mr. Goodbar
Guru
Mr. Goodbar has become one with the cosmosMr. Goodbar has become one with the cosmosMr. Goodbar has become one with the cosmosMr. Goodbar has become one with the cosmosMr. Goodbar has become one with the cosmosMr. Goodbar has become one with the cosmosMr. Goodbar has become one with the cosmosMr. Goodbar has become one with the cosmosMr. Goodbar has become one with the cosmosMr. Goodbar has become one with the cosmosMr. Goodbar has become one with the cosmos

Device: iPad Mini Retina and iPad Air 2
I'm using Pocket Bible on the iPad and it is fantastic. Very easy to jump around, you can have multiple Bible's and/or reference books open and displayed at the same time. I typically have half the screen allocated to the Bible and then have the remaining half split between two different reference sources for the particular book/passage/verse I'm reading. It works exceptionally well.

As already mentioned you don't need a data package if you buy the wifi version. I have an android phone which has a wireless hotspot feature which lets me connect to the internet from my ipad with just using the data plan already associated with my phone.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote