Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Over trying to manage Kobo reader with Kobo desktop. Some help with Calibre?

Hey,
I'm sort've over the whole "re-add all kobo content with weird bookmarks into the im reading page" along with all the other painful stuff that goes with syncing via the Kobo desktop application (cover artwork suddenly missing, moving bookmarks, read books suddenly unread etc etc).
I intend to reset the Kobo and start from scratch with Calibre.

I was hoping someone would be able to give me a bit of a dummies guide to getting started with Calibre and the Kobo?
I've tried it a couple of times but i get some weird error whenever i try and do something with the kobo attached... may be a DRM thing?

If anyone is willing to post here a bit of a dummies initial setup for Calibre and the Kobo, i'd much appreciate it.
Also, if the DRM thing is an issue, please feel free to message me or email me about what i need to do to get my purchased books freely usable in Calibre.

digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Might be best if you ask this question within the Calibre forum.

As regards to removing DRM, best to use Google for that. Plenty of help available in that regard. Once you remove the DRM infestation, Calibre will take care of the rest for you.

In regards to using the Kobo with Calibre, I found it most straight forwards to use. Connect your Kobo via USB whilst Calibre is running and Calibre will automatically detect the connection and allow internal browsing of the books on the attached Kobo. You can then transfer books to the Kobo via Calibre. Once done you can eject the device and disconnect from the PC.

The Kobo will then process your newly added books and make them available for reading.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post

If anyone is willing to post here a bit of a dummies initial setup for Calibre and the Kobo, i'd much appreciate it.
Also, if the DRM thing is an issue, please feel free to message me or email me about what i need to do to get my purchased books freely usable in Calibre.
Sigil might be your friend.
As I recall, calibre has initial set up. Simply take kobo as a target
device. You could add it later, if you wish.
Calibre forum is friendly, just ask a question.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:13 AM   #4
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
I'm not sure what all you have to do if you have files with DRM, everything I've copied over so far doesn't have it (I love Baen!) - but DRM-less files at least can just be copied over directly, no need for any additional software. I've copied 150+ books over this way, and all work great. And there aren't any issues with old books showing up on the "I'm reading" list, lost bookmarks, etc.
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thp1017 View Post
I'm not sure what all you have to do if you have files with DRM, everything I've copied over so far doesn't have it (I love Baen!) - but DRM-less files at least can just be copied over directly, no need for any additional software. I've copied 150+ books over this way, and all work great. And there aren't any issues with old books showing up on the "I'm reading" list, lost bookmarks, etc.
Cannot say if removing it might be no-no, but it should be
easy. Why someone wants it on reader is the question of
present year. I'd go one step further and have books with
no <insert-3-letters>.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Got Calibre up and running fine... all is pretty much well, apart from a couple of issues.

But it certainly fixes the damn 'im reading' bug and does what i want quickly. Glad i made the switch to be honest.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #7
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Can you remove a book from Kobo using Calibre without losing the book?

If you reset the Kobo how do you load the downloaded epubs purchased from Kobo back to the reader?
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can remove a ebook via Calibre from the Kobo without losing the book within Calibre's main database.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #9
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

So if you hit 'remove book' from the Kobo while plugged in it is not removed from the Calibre library? Good news if that is so.

Eventually I hope to have this mess cleaned up. I am not sure a user guide would have helped since most of the problems are not from lack of knowledge.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #10
sabredog

If you are viewing the file list display within your Kobo reader then that is certainly the case for me.

May pay to trial a dummy ebook to see how it functions and to spot pit falls.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #11
wrenn1
Addict

Good idea. Thanks. :-)
Old 08-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #12
digital_steve
Muppet

Calibre for the win!
Now i just need to learn to convert my current epubs to wider margins and text sizes!