Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
LOTL
LOTL began at the beginning.

Device: None
Birthday Gift

Decided i want to get an Ebook reader for my girlfriend.
I have been easing her into the digital age over the last couple years (wasnt easy) but she is becoming more tech savvy as time goes by.

I thought i had narrowed it down to the Nook or Kindle 3. I then started doing my research and quickly became overwhelmed with all of the options.

I think i will stick to the Nook or Kindle 3 options just for sanity's sake.

She does visit the library in her home town and is friends with the librarian there. She also likes visiting and hanging out at the local B&N.
My sister also has a nook and they frequently talk about books they are reading. Sounds like a slam dunk for the nook right?

The techy in me likes the idea of the Android OS (have the new Droid X phone) like the epub option and openness of the device.
The reviews though seem to point to the Kindle as the better device.
So im seriously considering the Kindle 3.

The Nook 2 is on its way, but there is very little info available on it. The little that i have found, seems to indicate it'll be just a minor upgrade over the Nook. Her birthday is Oct. 1st and it may be tough to get the Kindle 3 in time and probably even tougher to get the Nook 2.

So im not adverse to giving her an IOU for the either device if its worth the wait. Im thinking of ordering the Kindle 3 now in order to improve my chances of getting one by Oct. 1st. If the Nook 2 is released within my 30 day return period, then ill go to Best Buy or B&N and hopefully try one out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated to help move me off the fence.
LOTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Welcome to MR!

If the library access is going to play a part in your decision, you may want to make sure that her library system has e-books. Here in Atlanta, it just began a week or so ago, so we have very few titles available to us. You did mention she enjoys hanging out at Barnes & Noble, so I agree, the Nook may be a good fit for her.

I had a friend's Nook for only about a day, so I can't say a lot about it. I didn't particularly enjoy the interface, but probably if I had had more time with it I would have been fine.

I do have a Kindle 2, which I love, but I sure would like to try a K3. If it were me, buying something for the first time, I'd jump on one of those. The price is right, too. Just my opinion, though, and I think you'll find that most of us tend to recommend the products that we own and love. So read through the Nook forums, and read through the Kindle forums, and see what you think. Good luck!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I may be wrong, but I don't think it matters if you order a K3 now or later. I believe it is backordered for a while. I think last I heard it was sometime in October, so it's not too far off. Maybe somebody that ordered one more recently can tell you.

I liked the Nook better than the Kindle 2, but I think I would like the new Kindle. I would still choose the Nook right now because I can get my library books on it and I can buy from more places. Mind you I could strip the DRM on the Kindle files, but I don't want to bother.

I really love the touch screen on the Nook. I thought I wouldn't like the way it was set up, but I found it surprisingly easy to use. I really love to look at my physical books, so being able to see my bookcovers in colour while searching is important to me. I don't think the average person cares about that though. I can also share my books with other Nook users with the lend me system, but it is pretty limited right now. If it is a family member or very close friend you can share your books and just add in the credit card # of the account it was ordered under. That might work out since her friend has a Nook as well.

They are both good devices, and a lot of it is a personal preference. she will probably love whichever you decide to give her.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
If her environment has a library and nooks, a nook is a better idea. Remember that not only will your girlfriend be able to have library books on loan, but your sister's ones as well. The difference in contrast between Kindle 3 and Nook is not a dealbreaker as far as I've seen.
Kindle has a slight edge over the nook in what concerns screen and book choice, but considering your girlfriend's case where library and other Nooks are present, the Nook gets, as you say, a slam dunk.

Of course, that's all assuming you won't break any DRM schemes, softroot the nook, or hack the Kindle.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
LOTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
If her environment has a library and nooks, a nook is a better idea. Remember that not only will your girlfriend be able to have library books on loan, but your sister's ones as well. The difference in contrast between Kindle 3 and Nook is not a dealbreaker as far as I've seen.
Kindle has a slight edge over the nook in what concerns screen and book choice, but considering your girlfriend's case where library and other Nooks are present, the Nook gets, as you say, a slam dunk.

Of course, that's all assuming you won't break any DRM schemes, softroot the nook, or hack the Kindle.
Whats rooting gain me on the nook? I have looked into it on my Droid X phone, but didnt know it existed on the Nook.
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
CatsMeow
CatsMeow began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & K3
What size purse, if any, does your sister carry? I find the Nook won't fit in my favorite purse, so I'm thinking about a K3 because it is lighter and smaller.
CatsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Here you have a wiki of nook softrooters:
http://nookdevs.com/Main_Page

Sadly, it seems that B&N is hampering their efforts to improve the device through the softroot.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Here are the pros & cons worth mentioning, as I see them. (K3 vs. nook)

K3 - smaller, lighter, higher contrast screen
nook - Can rent books, is more comfortable to hold without a case, available now. I don't like the gimmicky LCD screen, but that's just me.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #9
LOTL

Thanks for all the replies folks. After reading through them all a couple times and this thread on Nook VS Kindle 3 i decided to get on the waiting list for the Kindle 3.

If B&N releases the Nook 2 anytime soon, ill be sure to have a look at it.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I may be wrong, but I don't think it matters if you order a K3 now or later. I believe it is backordered for a while. I think last I heard it was sometime in October, so it's not too far off. Maybe somebody that ordered one more recently can tell you.
"Shipping on or before 17th September" is what Amazon are currently saying if you order now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #11
LOTL

Just had another look at the local library's website and they have access to NetLibrary and Overdrive. I believe both are compatible with the Nook and Sony Ebook readers among a few others. Kindle isnt on the list.

Did a little covert intelligence gathering with my girlfriend the other night and she mentioned that she gets most of her books from the Library and rarely buys books from B&N. She may go there to have a coffee and meet with a friend, but thats about it. (shes as frugal as i am it appears).

As much as id like the better piece of hardware, it seems the Nook is the better choice for her (i know we established that earlier). Still have plenty of time to cancel the order with Amazon.

I really wish there was more info on the Nook 2 available. Her son works at Best Buy and should be able to get a decent deal on the Nook. It appears they have a 30 day return policy which is better than the 14 day at B&N. Maybe wait till the day before her Birthday, grab the nook and then have till October 31st to see if the Nook 2 gets released. I guess i could always Ebay it, lose a few bucks and then grab the Nook 2 when it finally does get released.
Read some reviews at Best Buy about wifi connectivity issues with encryption turned on. Maybe i should stick to the 3G version.