Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
Cleaning PRS-600 screen?

I've got a soft cloth that I use to keep my Zune's screen clean, and I use it on my reader, but I've got some spots that won't come off. Is there anything that I should NOT use(besides sandpaper)? I'm not too familiar with touch screens.

Thanks!
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The general recommendation is for "microfibre" cleaning cloths, sold for cleaning eyeglasses, camera lenses, etc. Excellent for removing fingerprints, grease spots, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
If a particular spot is "stubborn", I will wet part of the microfiber cloth. Make sure to wipe dry after cleaning with a wet cloth.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
If a particular spot is "stubborn", I will wet part of the microfiber cloth. Make sure to wipe dry after cleaning with a wet cloth.
Yes, I do the same. My three "levels" of cleaning are:

1. Dry clean to remove dust and fingerprints.
2. Breathe on the screen then clean to remove more persistent marks.
3. Polish with a damp cloth for the really nasty marks.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Eeeuw: wondering about the 'really nasty marks'
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't putting something on it that would damage the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8Ereader View Post

You don't really want to know, do you? That's like, too much info!
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8Ereader View Post
The 'really nasty marks' would be lying in bed reading and my girlfriend's dog sitting next to me and sneezing on the screen.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Never mind the dog; haven't you ever "slimed" your screen by sneezing on it? I certainly have .
Old 01-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony ereader 500 & 600
Pets have been a reacurring problem lately, I am having issues with my cat and eating my cables, as I am on my fourth set of earbuds and 2nd USB cable a friend suggested spraying them with a cayenne and vinegar solution.
sminarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Cayenne eh? OK but don't forget to wash your hands after using!
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
I read somewhere, not sure where, but that you can use the iClean kit for an iphone to clean the screen with. Is this not a good idea?
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:58 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm sure it would work just fine, but why bother with some expensive "branded" product, when microfibre cloths are cheap, and work so well?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
wolfshades
wolfshades began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sure it would work just fine, but why bother with some expensive "branded" product, when microfibre cloths are cheap, and work so well?
Exactly right. I have cleaned mine using the microfibre cloth that I got when I purchased eyeglasses. The cleaning solution that you get for your glasses works well for the ereader screen as well (for those "nasty" splotches). No need to go out and waste your money on speciality cleaning solutions.
wolfshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
whiteorca
whiteorca began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
I also use a microfibre cloth slightly damp with glass cleaning solution, and afterwards wipe it dry.

An added note: It is possible to get crumbs or lint embedded into the space between the edge of the case and the touchscreen, making it go unresponsive (due to the added pressure of the "crumb" between the casing and the touchscreen), or it may get sandwiched between the touchscreen and the reading screen, requiring disasembly of the unit to get it removed.

I suggest that special attention should be paid to the edges, by cleaning the screen towards the center, and checking afterwards that nothing got sandwiched in the border

Edit: I have encountered both conditions... the link to the remedy is
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76265

Last edited by whiteorca; 06-21-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Additional useful information
whiteorca is offline   Reply With Quote