Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Ticallion
Connoisseur
Ticallion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Any way to change book cover without reconverting?

I have some LRF files that I want to change the covers on. Unfortunately if you try to reconvert an LRF, there is always an added blank page after the cover even if you check the "remove first image" option.

Is there any other way to do this?
Ticallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No I'm afraid you have to reconvert
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Just a thought, might not work.

Convert LRF to ePub (or another format), then back to LRF.

Whatever's causing the hiccup may not be in this conversion loop.

cap
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:07 AM   #4
Ticallion
Connoisseur
Ticallion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
I actually had already tried that. Problem is in some of the books that I tried, the conversion from LRF inserted empty lines even with the option to remove spaces checked. Sometimes the TOC wouldn've convert properly either. Converting to and from LRF can be a headache sometimes.

I wish that book covers were a part of the metadata, so you could just change the cover then save the new version to disk without converting. Oh well, thanks anyway.
Ticallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
Does not Calibre save a graphic file in the directory with the ebook? I have not tried it with books that I have bought recently, but when I started using Calibre, some books I imported to the database had less than desirable covers (really fuzzy looking).

I went online and googled the book name and downloaded a better looking version of the cover and saved it over the graphic file in the ebook folder. That worked for me. At least I think it did. I will check again later today once I get back to my home PC.

Last edited by thafrogggg; 06-13-2010 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Misspelled Calibre
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Simply saving a new cover in Calibre only adds it to Calibre for display purposes. It is not actually inserted into the book until you run a conversion. Therefore to see the new cover on the reader device the conversion is necessary.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
Ahh, got it. I never did go back and look at the cover when reading after I got a new cover into Calibre. That was the main reason I got them anyway; so they would look better when browsing my library in Calibre.
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote