Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 07-18-2003, 05:44 PM   #1
Griff
Enthusiast
Griff began at the beginning.

Device: Clie NR70v
Newsgroup readers

Recently two of the Yahoo Groups I subscribe to have added themselves to the gmane project. This project provides a newsgroup style interface to the exisiting Yahoo Groups.

I am interested in possibly switching my use of these groups from e-mail to newsreader based. The problem I see is there doesn't appear to be much in the way of newsreaders for the Palm platform.

I have downloaded both Yanoff and PalmReader. I visited the Yanoff YG and find that there may be a new release coming sometime soon. I am unsure of how stable the development of the program is, but it seems promising.

I've sent an e-mail to the developer of PalmReader to ask if the product is still being supported and if so is it still being developed.

Aside from these two programs, does anyone have any experience with other newsreaders on their Palm?
Old 07-18-2003, 06:02 PM   #2
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Yep...I used/tried/cussed/pleaded/begged/gave-up-on the NewsRover Palm component...sorta works, but was buggy...and their support is attitudinal ("we can't spend time fixing the Palm program 'cause noone uses it...you're the only one who's asked for improvements").

So *that's* a dead end, IMHO. If you want only to read newsgroups and not create replies, I got close fiddlin' with iSilo/Handstory, but as they say, "close but no cigars."

But...the NewsRover thingie did sorta work...

Cheers,
Gary
Advert
Old 07-18-2003, 06:08 PM   #3
Griff
Enthusiast
Griff began at the beginning.

Device: Clie NR70v
Well, so far I like Yanoff. It does support SMTP reply which I believe gmane requires. Doesn't look like PalmReader supports this and my e-mail was bounced back to me. I wonder what happens when one purchases this program from Handango and they can't contact the developer.

I'm going to test this for a week or so and see how it works. Right now I download my YG via e-mail and just read them in my e-mail program.

My hope is that Yanoff will have an update released soon and become THE newsreader for the palm platform. It really amazes me there isn't more interest in this.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:30 PM   #4
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
I would tend to agree (about the lack of interest). I tried Yanoff, but could never get it to work, despite several attempts at configuring the conduit. If the new release improves this aspect (sorely needed), then it might fuel an interest in mobile newsgroups.

Cheers,
Gary