Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
ladybugsue
ladybugsue began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
hello

Hi I just joined and I am really a techno phobe.
I have a sony reader, which I love, but Sony is converting toepub and wants me to update. The problem is I have 200 books not yet read in pdf format. also I buy from many sites and do not see epub offered.
From what I have just read here this sounds like a night mare.
I do not want to end up like the kindle users only able to buy from amazon.
Any thoughts or help?
Thanks ladybugsue
ladybugsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, ladybugsue.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 05:24 AM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Ladybugsue, welcome to MobileRead.
If you have a prs-505 you are already epub-ready (at least if you have the latest firmware, which is quite old). Sony is changing the ebooks it sells through its store from lrx to epub. It is not a change that will affect you in any way. If you bought lrx from sony, you can ask them to give you the epub versions. If not, life goes on as usual, and you continue to read all the formats that you did before. No worries!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Welcome!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:17 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi ladybugsue and welcome to MobileRead. omk3 is right. I have a Sony 505 and can read lrx, ePub and PDFs no problem. The last major firmware update was in July 08 so, if you got your 505 after that time, it should work fine.

I've been routinely borrowing ePub formatted books from my public library and they read okay.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
ladybugsue

sony PRS-505

Thanks for all the replys. But I am still confused. There is a CURRENT update to commute to epub. Sony wants me to download it.
Sony help said I cannot have both adobe and epubs book on my reader at the same time???
Cassidym - have you applied this update? Became available 3 weeks ago.....
Old 12-21-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugsue View Post
Thanks for all the replys. But I am still confused. There is a CURRENT update to commute to epub. Sony wants me to download it.
Sony help said I cannot have both adobe and epubs book on my reader at the same time???
Cassidym - have you applied this update? Became available 3 weeks ago.....
The is an upgrade to the Sony Library Application software that allows you to purchase EPUB titles from the Sony Store and/or to load them on your Sony Reader. But it uses the Adobe Adept DRM for EPUB and certainly you can load other DRM Epubs on the reader as well.

The new style "Social" DRM EPUB from B&N will NOT work on the Sonys though.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:36 AM   #8
ladybugsue

Thanks, I did the conversion. You were all a lot more help than the Sony help desk was....
Sue