Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-10-2023, 01:40 PM   #1
KeenReader
KeenReader began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2
Kindle app in Pocketbook

Hello, I am new here and wonder if you experinced people can help me. I read a lot of ebooks on my android tablet, which is now close to expiring. I am looking for an eink replacement and think I might go for a Pocketbook. My only problem is that I read a lot of epub, usually Gutenberg, but also have a Kindle unlimited subscription. Can I load the Kindle app onto Pocketbook to read my Amazon books?
Thanks everyone.
KeenReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 04:02 PM   #2
dmalinovsky
Enthusiast
dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color 3
You can side-load your purchased Amazon books to Pocketbook device with Calibre with DeDRM plugin.
I also know that before it was possible to do the same with the Kindle Unlimited books, but apparently Amazon closed this loophole.

You can download library DRM ePubs directly to Pocketbook, though.
dmalinovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2023, 06:58 PM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The PocketBook ereaders are _not_ Android devices. So, you won't be able to install or run any Android apps on them.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 01:25 AM   #4
KeenReader

So it sounds like I can't read KU books on a pocketbook. I thought that Pocketbook had a Linux OS, can I not load the Windows Kindle for PC app?
Old 04-11-2023, 09:30 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeenReader View Post
So it sounds like I can't read KU books on a pocketbook. I thought that Pocketbook had a Linux OS, can I not load the Windows Kindle for PC app?
No. The PocketBooks aren't Linux Desktop devices, they work on a limited (embedded) version of Linux. You would have to be able to (at least) load Wine on a PocketBook to install Windows Kindle for PC. PocketBooks will install some apps, like KoReader.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2023, 04:01 PM   #6
KeenReader

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. It seems that I am going to have to drastically rethink my decision. Do I buy Pocketbook + Kindle or an android device? At least with your advice I am not going to mistakenly think the Pocketbook solves all.
Old 04-11-2023, 06:46 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. It seems that I am going to have to drastically rethink my decision. Do I buy Pocketbook + Kindle or an android device? At least with your advice I am not going to mistakenly think the Pocketbook solves all.
You can easily convert your Gutenberg epubs to a Kindle format. So why not buy only a Kindle, if reading KU books is important to you? You can sideload your converted epubs to it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 11:07 AM   #8
KeenReader

Thanks for the suggestion about the Kindle but I didn't really want to be "tied" to Amazon in that way. I may by one as an interim until I decide on a suitable alternative.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:38 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion about the Kindle but I didn't really want to be "tied" to Amazon in that way. I may by one as an interim until I decide on a suitable alternative.
You'll need to liberate your Amazon books, then, unless you'll get an Android tablet. Or you could get an Android eink and install the Kindle app on that. Of course, using a Kindle app would mean you'd still be tied to Amazon.
Old 04-13-2023, 09:13 AM   #10
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
You could get an Onyx Boox device (Android e-ink tablets) and install the Kindle app on it and read your epubs in Neoreader, Koreader, Alreader X, Moon Reader or anything else.

But chances are that you could get both a pocketbook and a cheap kindle for less, especially if you get a Kindle on the second hand market for your Amazon books.

It depends on if you want only one device or are fine with having two.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 10:09 AM   #11
KeenReader

Thanks for your suggestions but I have just come across another idea (if it will work?). Could I download the Kindle books from an Amazon Cloud Reader and read them offline on a Pocketbook? Pocketbook will read AZW format now.
Has anyone used the Amazon Cloud Reader?
Old 04-13-2023, 10:29 AM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions but I have just come across another idea (if it will work?). Could I download the Kindle books from an Amazon Cloud Reader and read them offline on a Pocketbook? Pocketbook will read AZW format now.
Has anyone used the Amazon Cloud Reader?
No, you can't download books from the Cloud Reader.
Old 04-27-2023, 08:53 AM   #13
KeenReader

Just to finish the story.... I bought the Meebook P78 Pro and loaded it with Calibre Companion, AlReader and the Kindle app. Probably not as good a screen as the Pocketbook but similar price. Thanks everyone for helping me choose.