Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
KenDavies
KenDavies began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
New 505 owner

I recently purchases a 505 and am having a great time with it. So far I've only started reading the free books that came with it but I'd now like to start purchasing and have a couple of problems.

The first is what's the best format to purchase bearing in mind I'd prefer a more universal format than Sony's own so I can use a different reader in the future. Second, my wife likes the reader and wants one of here own. Can I use the same PC for both and can I copy a book I've bought onto both units?

Many thanks to anyone who can help.
KenDavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
I think the best format to purchase these days would be epub as it is the IDPF standard and is gaining in popularity. The problem is the DRM. Depending on the drm, you might or might not be able to copy the book on multiple devices. You cannot even be sure if your book will always be readable. If the drm technology doesn't exist in 10 years, you could be stuck with an "un-decryptable" book.

Sony's DRM allows you to copy books on six devices (devices authorized on your Sony account). They can be computers or readers.

Check out this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33215
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Congratulations, we hope you love your new Reader. I agree on using EPUB, but use a company whose DRM can be easily unlocked so you can have a safe, portable copy somewhere if you ever get another device.

Or you can buy in .LIT, remove the DRM and convert it to EPUB.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
So far I have only bought in LIT, that is, Microsoft Reader format. If it is copy protected (DRM) then it is called Secure Microsoft Reader format. It is possible to remove the DRM and then you can convert it to EPUB or LRF format using Calibre.

I think LIT is likely to have a long life, as it is supported by Microsoft. EPUB is the new kid on the block, and because it is an open standard, will be used more and more, and therefore is also likely to be around for a long time. EPUB is of course supported by the PRS505.

However, I did not like the formatting of the EPUB books I have seen so far, and I was not 100 % happy with the conversions to EPUB produced by Calibre - although Calibre is being actively supported and developed and is getting better and better all the time. It is a great piece of software!

If you are in the UK and buy from Waterstones, all their e-books are in EPUB format.

I would not buy in LRF format, as it is too proprietary to Sony; and definitely do not buy any DRM LRF books.

So I suggest you get hold of some free books in the different formats, and see which one you prefer.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
dentalexel
dentalexel began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
I bought a book from Waterstone and it came as EPUB. I used Calibre to bring it over to my sony prs-505. it brought it over but I can't read it because it says it's protected. What can I do?
dentalexel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalexel View Post
I bought a book from Waterstone and it came as EPUB. I used Calibre to bring it over to my sony prs-505. it brought it over but I can't read it because it says it's protected. What can I do?
You can read the file without removing DRM or converting it. I assume you use Adobe Digital Editions to d/l it? You need to plug your reader in and "activate" it with ADE. Then you will be able to read your ebook on your Sony.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:29 AM   #7
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
As Pilot bob says you must have installed the latest version of Adobe Digital Editions and authorise both your computer and your reader with Adobe Digital editions(by creating an adobe account when it is installed).
Once it is downloaded it will appear in Digital editions and provided your Reader in plugged it will also appear in Digital Editions and you can drag the downloaded ebook straight onto your reader from Digital Editions. No need to use calibre or Sony Library to transfer it.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote