Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-31-2022, 02:10 PM   #1
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle
Sharing a Kindle Device

My spouse and I share most of our electronics, now including e-Readers.
He only recently began to read on the NOOK because I created a Profile on the NOOK GlowLight for him.

NOOK does not handle Asian or Turkic fonts well, so I bought a Kindle Paperwhite SE.

How can we create separate Profiles (similar to NOOK)? He has Kindle ebooks and Audible audiobooks that he shared with me from his Amazon account using the Household & Family Library feature on our new Kindle, but I do not want to disturb his reading place in a book or audiobook when I am using the Kindle and decide to read the same book.

I am sure someone will tell me to load KOReader on our NOOKs and get rid of the Kindle if I want to read Asian or Turkic fonts and use sideloaded dictionaries, but I am a nostalgic person, and I returned the NOOK tablet to stock after rooting eventually, so I'd like to avoid this solution.

Thank you.
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:36 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If you are using Family Library to share, then your reading positions, collections etc are stored with your respective accounts (assuming your new Kindle is registered to your Amazon account and not your spouse’s). It’s kind of the point of Family Library.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2022, 12:55 PM   #3
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
If you are using Family Library to share, then your reading positions, collections etc are stored with your respective accounts (assuming your new Kindle is registered to your Amazon account and not your spouse’s). It’s kind of the point of Family Library.
This only works if you're using 2 different Kindles that are registered to the 2 different accounts.

I believe that the OP and their spouse are using the same device. Unfortunately, I don't believe that there's a way to have separate profiles with a stock Kindle...although I would love to be proven wrong!

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:26 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
This only works if you're using 2 different Kindles that are registered to the 2 different accounts.

I believe that the OP and their spouse are using the same device. Unfortunately, I don't believe that there's a way to have separate profiles with a stock Kindle...although I would love to be proven wrong!

Shari
I believe you can switch profiles on a Kindle (or Fire) after setting up Family Library (you can have Child profiles as well). But it has been a couple of years since I have done it.

I was going to try it but we cannot find my wife’s Amazon password at the moment (required when switching profiles).

Last edited by tomsem; 06-01-2022 at 01:37 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:59 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
IMHO, A Reader is a very personal thing and it's best to each have your own.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2022, 11:16 AM   #6
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari
Yes, that’s what we’d like to do. Use the same device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I believe you can switch profiles on a Kindle (or Fire) after setting up Family Library (you can have Child profiles as well). But it has been a couple of years since I have done it.
Thank you—I went to select his name under Family Library and it requires us to get onto Wi-Fi again with his password, so I suppose there is no non-internet way to switch profiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think he’d give me a long talking to if I bought another e-reader. We have 3 now but I got this Kindle because I can read Asian (Japanese) and Turkic languages/fonts with dictionaries, unlike the NOOKs. Also, it’s nice to have profile accounts on each of the NOOK devices because it means if we’re out and about and he wants to read and I have the device in my handbag, he can pick up where he left off without messing with my reading place. Oh well. I prefer the NOOK interface because it’s simple but like the dictionary, clippings export and vocabulary builder of Kindle.

…..I probably will get a Kobo now, as I cannot find a Turkish English dictionary for Kindle. Does Kobo allow profiles? I wish I had figured this out before day 15 with my Kindle.
Old 06-02-2022, 11:58 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don’t know that they’re all that personal, especially if you’ve got a family account when you can see all the books purchased by the other, anyway. What are you trying to hide? And it’s not all that hard to adjust settings. For me, the issue would be not being able to use it at the same time, which could be extremely irksome; perhaps for people who are just as happy to pick up a pbook if the reader is already in use.

However, I see the argument. They’re a not-trivial expense; even a bare-bones reader will run you close to $100. For those who read a “typical” number of books a year, it added significantly to the price of each book, even amortized over a few years. Or if you’re using it to access public domain or borrow OverDrive books one might be sufficient between a couple of people. It’s that old lesson from the nursery; people need to be able to share.

And, this isn’t directed at just you, I sometimes deplore a tendency here to upsell other members. Someone asks for recommendations for Basic A to get the response that, “Basic A stinks. You really want Much Better B.” Well, Much Better B might not be a realistic option; it’s mostly not helpful unless there’s an element that the person really wasn’t aware of. Why not assume people want what they want?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:16 PM   #8
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I don’t know that they’re all that personal, especially if you’ve got a family account when you can see all the books purchased by the other, anyway. What are you trying to hide? And it’s not all that hard to adjust settings. For me, the issue would be not being able to use it at the same time, which could be extremely irksome; perhaps for people who are just as happy to pick up a pbook if the reader is already in use.
We share other devices because they aren’t always in use. He has the Windows devices and I the Macs. We treat them like a bookshelf in the living room. I have accounts on his devices and he mine. I was trying to do the same on Kindle but I guess it’s not so easy to share. For the price of a Kindle and case, one could build a PC. It’s a bit disappointing but it is done now. Thank you.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:50 PM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
The easiest way to do it is to have collections, each use your name for the collection, followed by the genre or read first, what ever you want. Just make sure you both have a to read now collection on the first page of collections. Then it’s easy to pick up the kindle and go to your respective collection and read what you want.

Hubby and I do have our own kindles but we do share an Amazon account. We have over 2200 ebooks between us and separate collections is the only way we can manage it.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 03:13 AM   #10
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
If you are reading the same book, just use bookmarks, rather than rely on the 'opening book at last page read' facility.
This way, when he's reading but leaves the book bookmarked at page 100, you'll know that wasn't where you left off: you'll see another bookmark at page 250 - yours.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:14 AM   #11
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
If you are reading the same book, just use bookmarks, rather than rely on the 'opening book at last page read' facility.
This way, when he's reading but leaves the book bookmarked at page 100, you'll know that wasn't where you left off: you'll see another bookmark at page 250 - yours.
This would work if we didn’t want to use Whispersync with his Audible books. He has a huge collection and now some Kindle books to match that we’re trying to read together. I guess I could use my phone for Audible but it won’t sync to the last read place in the book on Kindle where I am since I cannot specify Profiles.
Old 06-04-2022, 09:00 AM   #12
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
If I'm not mistaken, Audible also has bookmarks? Does audible not sync bookmarks across devices?
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote