Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2022, 05:16 PM   #1
E'lir
Seeker of stories.
E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Kobo Touch 2.0 bricked. Need help.

So, this morning I checked my Kobo touch 2.0 to get some reading done, tried to wake it up, it didn't respond.

Thinking it had simply ran out of batteries (the battery had been draining faster than usual recently, I chalked that up to the reader already being 6 years old). 2 hours later, I tried to turn the device on and it remained unresponsive. The only indication that it detects the power button is a single red led under it that remains lit.

So far, I've tried resetting it with the paperclip button, pressing the power button a number of times and charging it more to see if it was a battery issue. The screen is unresponsive, so I'm unable to do a factory reset.

When I connect it to the computer, the computer seems to recognize a device, but it doesn't list it so I suspect that the firmware got corrupted in some way (Or at least, I hope, because a hardware issue would be more difficult to diagnose/fix).

Has anyone here faced similar issues? And if so, any tips for fixing my kobo? Any help would be appreciated.
E'lir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:19 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
For the factory reset, have you tried the last method on https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Reset:_Glo_HD? From memory, the Touch 2 uses the same method as the Glo HD and other devices from around that time that did not have a second button.

Other than that, you seem to have tried the things I usually suggest, except on. Plug it in and leave it overnight. It shouldn't work, and I don't know why it does, but, there have been lots of times that people have given up, left it plugged in and found it working the next day.

Beyond that, you can try an image restore to the internal SD card. Depending on exactly what happened, restoring the image gets most devices working again. You will need to take the card out and put it into a computer to write the image to it. I would suggest getting a new card, as it is likely that the a failing card is what has caused this. You can use a larger card and resize the books partition to use the full space. I have sent you a PM with the link to the image if you need to try it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2022, 11:35 PM   #3
E'lir
Seeker of stories.
E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the tips! So far, the new method of factory resetting isn't working. I have plugged the kobo and will leave it charging for the night. Hopefully, that does the trick, otherwise I'm going to have to open it.

Will keep you posted.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:20 PM   #4
E'lir
Seeker of stories.

Status update: Neither the plug all night solution nor writing a new image on a different SD card worked.

It seems it was a hardware failure that is unfixable from my side.

Welp. That's that I guess. I'll save up for a new reader later on...

Thanks for the help davidfor.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:33 AM   #5
jungleshrimp
jungleshrimp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Touch 2.0
I also have a bricked Kobo Touch 2.0 here.

davidfor, I just sent you a DM. I would be really greatful if you could send me the SD image, too.

Thank you!

Last edited by jungleshrimp; 09-01-2022 at 08:35 AM.
jungleshrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert