Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-25-2018, 06:01 AM   #1
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What about a phone

How about a phone with the ET047TC1 (4.7'', 960x540, 234ppi - 58x104mm)?

Like the Onyx E43, only with a modern Android and working well in Europe, the Americas etc. (= with renewed care about mobile network specifications).
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
If they came out with a decent phone, I might just be tempted to make the leap. Until now, I have managed to survive quite well with just a landline. But a decent eink phone could be tempting... if the specs, quality and pricing were right.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2018, 09:55 PM   #3
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Interested, though have come to appreciate the use of the screen as a flashlight
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:07 AM   #4
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogaiu View Post
Interested, though have come to appreciate the use of the screen as a flashlight
You don't need to do that anymore with most modern smartphones. They pretty much all let you use the camera flash LED as a much better flashlight than the old “put on a white app and turn up the brightness” trick.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As most smaller sized ereaders these days include front lights, you would still be able to do that with an eink phone. I have certainly used the light on my Kobo Aura One to navigate in a very dark room.
Advert
Old 01-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #6
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
The Yotaphone 3 is out in China but it is quite expensive. There are other models I believe but none of them are worth buying.
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #7
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawadLeLogeur View Post
The Yotaphone 3 is out in China but it is quite expensive.
My no-go towards the Yotaphone 3 is the absence of a jack.
Audio is required and every non-simple and non-consolidated standard is a no-go there.
You cannot be forced to pass through digital system to get audio. Standard earphones must suffice.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:45 PM   #8
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
You don't need to do that anymore with most modern smartphones. They pretty much all let you use the camera flash LED as a much better flashlight than the old “put on a white app and turn up the brightness” trick.
Ah, good point.

On a related note, do you think there would be a camera for sure on a smartphone with an e-ink screen?
Old 01-28-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
sogaiu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
As most smaller sized ereaders these days include front lights, you would still be able to do that with an eink phone. I have certainly used the light on my Kobo Aura One to navigate in a very dark room.
Nice!

May be I'll charge up a small ereader and try this out.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:59 PM   #10
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Ah, good point.

On a related note, do you think there would be a camera for sure on a smartphone with an e-ink screen?
I'd be shocked if their weren't. I'm not a big phone camera user myself, but they are a surprisingly big sales driver for smartphones and it doesn't cost much to include one these days.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:31 PM   #11
Question Mark
Wizard

A camera on a phone with an eink screen might be very useful. It would allow you to carefully compose a shot in bright sunlight as opposed to the standard practice of guess and snap... And if you ever transferred them to another device, they would be in colour.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:12 AM   #12
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
I'd be shocked if their weren't. I'm not a big phone camera user myself, but they are a surprisingly big sales driver for smartphones and it doesn't cost much to include one these days.
Exactly. They are a standard and can surely be implemented cheaply.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:15 AM   #13
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
As most smaller sized ereaders these days include front lights, you would still be able to do that with an eink phone.
Yes, and not only that: to even be able to use the phone in darker conditions, you need some front light.

Without a front light, the device would lose its main feature of "use everywhere".
Old 01-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #14
mdp
Wizard

I certainly call requirements
-- a relatively recent Android version,
-- assured networking in telephony and data,
-- a front light,
-- an audio jack socket,
-- your good old USB connection (you never know nowadays),
-- a few hardware buttons (you never know nowadays).

I am afraid that a Micro-SD expansion is also a pretty strict requirement on a telephone - it is the main device you carry around more closely, it is supposed to also cover your storage requirements.

But I would like to add, although with bitter disappointment I do not see angry mobs raging through the city with pitchforks and torches about the matter,
that a removable battery is an asset, and much more than an asset.
A phone without a removable battery is not professional, impractical and a liability.

Last edited by mdp; 01-29-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:24 PM   #15
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
I am surprised reading you talking about features that from many years come with the eInk phones we have seen. Just take a look at Yotaphone 2 and see the 2 cameras, the flashlight and a good specs for a cheap phone nowadays.

@mdp If you don't like Yotaphone 3 for the lack of audio jack maybe you have to consider the hisense a2 pro
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote