Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Anyone else having trouble using Overdrive on a Sony reader?

I posted about in the ongoing Overdrive thread in case this was a general problem with Overdrive, but nobody else has posted about it so I guess not. I thought I'd try in the Sony forum in case this is a Sony-specific issue.

A few days ago I tried using the new Overdrive on my Sony reader and it worked OK - I was able to log in and view my wishlist.

Here's what started yesterday:

When I entered my password and tapped to sign in, the status bar at the top would get most of the way across and then I would get booted out of the browser altogether - it would send me back to page 2 of the reader's main menu. This happened repeatedly.

I tried googling the library (on the reader). When I clicked on the search result for the library's home page, I got booted out of the browser again.

I tried googling again and one of the search results was a link to the library's Advanced Search page. I clicked on that link and it came up ok. From that page, I clicked sign in, it let me sign in and returned me to the Advanced Search page. I was able to click My Account, but when I selected Wishlist I got booted out of the browser again.

I reopened browser and used the history listings to go back to the Advanced Search page. Found I was still signed in. Clicking on the bookshelf icon got me booted out of the browser again.

Went back in via Advanced Search, then the library's menu button, then subjects, selected a subject and was able to see some books. From that page, I clicked on the bookshelf icon and got booted out of the browser again.

I ccould search and browse and access my account settings, but if I tried to access my loans, holds, or wishlist, I got booted out.

As of today it's showing me as still signed in, and I can't sign out - when I try it boots me out of the browser again.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:03 PM   #2
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

update: as of this evening Also, I just found I can once access my loans, holds and wishlist via the PRS-T1. (I have not tried actually downloading a book directly on the PRS-T1 yet, as I had already used up all my loans via the PC software.)

So maybe the libraries are still working out the bugs of the new site
Advert
Old 12-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
4691mls
Wizard

today I tried to download a book directly onto the reader and it said "loading" for so long that I shut it down and got the book via the PC software instead.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
I downloaded a book from the library on my PRS-T1 a couple of months ago. IIRC, it took some time to find the right screen to download the book on my ereader but it finally did work.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #5
4691mls
Wizard

mine was working fine a couple months ago before the library switched to the new version of Overdrive. Has your library switched yet? If you are on the new version and got it to work, maybe there is hope for the rest of us!

Last edited by 4691mls; 12-04-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Advert
Old 12-04-2016, 10:36 PM   #6
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
My library has switched. Everything seems okay until I try to download a book.
I get a Notification icon from the ereader that says download unsuccessful.
Checking the details it says "Unable to download the content because the network is not connected. Once you are connected to the network, you can start downloading again."

I'm afraid we're no longer compatible with their new website.
The only reason I didn't notice before is because I use Adobe Digital Editions on my PC to grab books and then load it into Calibre once I have it.

I'm afraid we need a firmware update for this that will never come.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #7
4691mls
Wizard

I emailed my library's help desk to ask about this issue. Who knows if I will get a knowledgeable person with a useful answer, but I figured it was worth a try. If they report back that Overdrive is officially no longer going to support direct access for Sony readers, then at least I'll know for sure and I can decide whether I want to just keep the Sony and get my library books via PC (I do that most of the time anyway) or whether being able to occasionally get books directly on the reader is important enough for me to switch readers.

I noticed that Overdrive still has a help article on how to get books on a Sony reader http://help.overdrive.com/customer/p...ticles/1481653
If you scroll down toward the bottom it includes instructions on getting a book directly on the reader. Note that below the article says "updated October 3, 2016" - pretty stupid for them to post this article if it's no longer possible to use a Sony reader in this way.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
Well my local library has switched over to something called "Cloud Library" and I hate it! The ONLY way you can read a book on a Sony reader is through your computer! You cannot download any book. This comes from the librarian who is in charge of the software. She stated the other system became to expensive for the library so they switched over to a more affordable one. I, for one, refuse to be intimidated in this manner and this was conveyed to her.
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatGIV View Post
Well my local library has switched over to something called "Cloud Library" and I hate it! The ONLY way you can read a book on a Sony reader is through your computer! You cannot download any book. This comes from the librarian who is in charge of the software. She stated the other system became to expensive for the library so they switched over to a more affordable one. I, for one, refuse to be intimidated in this manner and this was conveyed to her.
If by Cloud Library you mean cloudLibrary by bibliotheca (formerly 3M cloud library) they have a PC application that will download a DRM'd ePub. They don't specifically list Sony as a supported device, but if it works with Kobo's and Nook's it should work with Sony too I would think? (just use the same Adobe ID as the Sony is activated on...
http://www.yourcloudlibrary.com/inde...he-app/windows
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #10
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
I've had nothing but trouble with Overdrive on my Nook. The library assures me that the new upgrade of Overdrive should work on my Nook even though it's just a "tablet" and I bought it in 2012.

I can read books if I jump through all the hoops with Adobe Digital Editions, and I can of course get books just fine that I purchase from B&N.

I'll attach a couple of clips. By the way, my Overdrive/library2go works fine on my laptop. No problem at all. So I'd have to say it's the App on my Nook, not that it's anyone elses issue. My Nook is older, and I suspect the gal at the library could be wrong about the new Overdrive working with older Nooks. I don't know though.

I can get to where I need to be, but error messages show up, or it just goes back to Overdrive media console on my Nook, arggggggg

I have a Nook Tablet 7 coming in today, should be in according the tracking info on it. I can't wait to try out Overdrive on it and see how it goes. If it goes well, I'll figure my old Nook just isn't going to fly anymore with Overdrive. I can still use the ADE though and thank goodness because this Nook is still in very, good condition. Not just going to ditch it Denise
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:43 PM   #11
4691mls
Wizard

With Sony readers, at least with the former version of Overdrive, all that was involved was finding a book, adding it to your library loans, and then clicking "download" - there was no app involved.

Now instead of a download button, books in our loans have an "add to app" button, which I assume is what you would have if you were using the Overdrive app on a tablet Nook or otherwise). However, the Sony readers are not designed to use the Overdrive app.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Now instead of a download button, books in our loans have an "add to app" button, which I assume is what you would have if you were using the Overdrive app on a tablet Nook or otherwise). However, the Sony readers are not designed to use the Overdrive app.
Yeah, sounds like you're getting some mobile version of the site. I looked at it on my phone & don't see a link to switch to a full site or anything like many sites have either.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #13
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yeah, sounds like you're getting some mobile version of the site. I looked at it on my phone & don't see a link to switch to a full site or anything like many sites have either.
I DO NOT like it, I want my old Overdrive back
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:37 PM   #14
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I mentioned the "add to app" business in my email to the library's help desk. I asked them to let me know if this is a problem Overdrive is working on, or whether it just won't be possible to download directly to Sony readers anymore.
I haven't heard back yet. If I receive any sort of useful reply I will report here.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Wouldn't hurt to bring it to OverDrive directly as well (Facebook, Twitter) if you're a social media kind of person.