Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo H20, iPhone 6+, Macbook Pro
Avoiding to manually clean an epub?

The quality of HTML and CSS from the publishers is a shame. A bitter fact.

In the past I cleaned/purified the code of my epubs manually via Sigil.
It needs a lot of time and effort.
And my knowledge about HTML and CSS is very good.

I paused 3 years with eBook reading. Some days ago I bought an H2O. A wonderful display, a joy.

Are there patches, tools, hacks, methods, plugins for Calibre which helps to avoid to manually clean an epub, when you want to control the following design attributes?

* margins
* font
* justification
* hyphenation
* margin between paragraphs
* first-line indent

I like to have same design for every single book. Automatically.

I know that such a goal is absolutely not trivial - the mess of CSS and HTML is incredible in the original epubs.
My hope is, that there are smart heuristics, algorithms, smart tools which fight successfully against that dilemma.

Thanks for your help.
ibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The more you look into the internals of an ePub, the more you'll understand what's going on and the faster you'll be able to fix things.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibu View Post
The quality of HTML and CSS from the publishers is a shame. A bitter fact....

Are there patches, tools, hacks, methods, plugins for Calibre which helps to avoid to manually clean an epub, when you want to control the following design attributes?

* margins
* font
* justification
* hyphenation
* margin between paragraphs
* first-line indent

I like to have same design for every single book. Automatically.
Every one of these can be handled by a ePub to ePub conversion except hyphenation. They can be apply automagically by simple setting your choices in Preferences. Calibre's new tabs in the conversions Setup panel offer more choices/options/abilities than what was available in calibre 3 years ago.

I don't use it, but there is a Hyphenate This plugin for calibre that add soft hyphens and may server your needs. check out https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=208534

Also, while Sigil has come back to life and grown, calibre now has its own similar Editor that can serve very well for any additional touchups that you may feel the need to do. Personally, I generally rely on beating on an ePub with calibre's editor, often simply replacing the CSS files with one of my one stock files. I occasionally do a conversion first to see if that will do well enough. I have calibre set to keep the original ePub as well as the new conversion so I can return to the original to try a different tack when needed.

Last edited by dwig; 02-24-2017 at 06:43 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:46 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Every one of these can be handled by a ePub to ePub conversion except hyphenation. They can be apply automagically by simple setting your choices in Preferences. Calibre's new tabs in the conversions Setup panel offer more choices/options/abilities than what was available in calibre 3 years ago.

I don't use it, but there is a Hyphenate This plugin for calibre that add soft hyphens and may server your needs. check out https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=208534
There are a lot of things that publishers do very wrong and an ePub > ePub conversion cannot fix them all and you do have to get into the code and fix these. Most of this is easy to fix by hand and it's the stuff a conversion won't handle that's more difficult.

As for hyphenating, do not do so to an ePub as ADE and most ePub renderers support hyphenation. The problem is most (not tried all) programs will not work properly with soft hyphens. So no don't do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
imkh
Enthusiast
imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I use the Calibre plugin "Modify epub" to do most of the things you're looking for and there's a few other Calibre plugins that do this as well. It uses the Calibre conversion templates without actually converting and gives a good first bulk edit.

But it doesn't discriminate in applying the templates and can cause trouble eg applying a paragraph text-indent adds it to all and can cause drop capitals in leading paragraphs to be oddly placed. I usually underprescribe with the plugin and use the Calibre editor on individual books to finish.
imkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2017, 07:30 PM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've generally found that using calibre to convert ePub --> ePub causes as many new problems as it fixes. A conversion can help with some problems that are a lot of trouble to fix manually (such as when files need to be split because they contain multiple chapters), but if I do a conversion I still need to edit the ePub manually to fix the problems that remained plus the new problems caused by the conversion.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:46 PM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I've generally found that using calibre to convert ePub --> ePub causes as many new problems as it fixes. A conversion can help with some problems that are a lot of trouble to fix manually (such as when files need to be split because they contain multiple chapters), but if I do a conversion I still need to edit the ePub manually to fix the problems that remained plus the new problems caused by the conversion.
I've found the same issues.

I've set calibre so that it retains the original unconverted ePub. If I do the ePub>ePub conversion, I check the results in my (currently) preferred reader. If it's good enough then I'm done. If not, I open the conversion in the Editor and look around. I may find that it's going to be easier to delete the conversion, restore the ORIGINAL and manually edit that rather than editing the conversion.

I generally clean up ePubs for personal reading, not distribution, so often I'll tolerate flaws that I would never accept if I was distributing the ebook. I've found that with simple fiction it's often adequate to completely strip out the original CSS, use the Editor's tools to remove the now unused CSS references and then insert my stock CSS stylesheet.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:31 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I am not aware of any way to automate the removing all explicit line height assignments from CSS ( which have to go in order for Kobo device sliders to work)
last time I looked ( some time ago I admit) the calibre conversion search replace regex rules did not apply to stylesheets.

please tell me I'm wrong and how to now fully automate this [ as at now I do it with a regex that lives in my sigil recently used find replace collection ]

for me, epub to epub usually works and I standardly do that first before manual inspection and tweaking, but sometimes it will split chapter headings and chapter text into 2 separate files. ( because the publisher used "chapter" as a css style, I think ). So that requires a restore, reconvert with twealed xpath....

Last edited by stumped; 02-25-2017 at 01:35 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:58 AM   #9
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I am not aware of any way to automate the removing all explicit line height assignments from CSS ( which have to go in order for Kobo device sliders to work)
last time I looked ( some time ago I admit) the calibre conversion search replace regex rules did not apply to stylesheets.
You can set CSS properties to filter in the conversion settings Look & Feel > Styling > Filter Style Information. For example if you set a filter for line-height that will remove all line-height properties from the converted book and the device's line spacing slider will be sure to work (unless the publisher has used the font shorthand style, which is not common, but you could filter that as well.) There is also a firmware patch which achieves the same result.

The problem is that there are some situations where an explicit line-height is needed and doesn't interfere with the line spacing slider, such as setting the line-height of a raise-cap or superscript to zero to prevent it from messing up the line spacing of the containing paragraph. So you have to go back and manually add those in after the conversion.

I really don't think there is any general solution that will work for all books, although many will work for most books which might be good enough.

In the end it is like the problem of correcting spelling errors caused by poor scanning, there is no way to do it automatically that will work in all situations because sometimes the correct spelling can only be determined by reading and understanding the book.

The book I am reading at the moment (Seasons of Plenty by Colin Greenland, published by Gateway SF) has a character called Iogo (IOGO) which is misspelt in a number of places as logo (LOGO). However there are also a number of places where the word logo (LOGO) is used correctly, so I don't think it is possible for any algorithm to work out which are correct spellings of LOGO and which are misspellings of IOGO. I just have to go through manually and check each case.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:35 AM   #10
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

Thanks for your comments and hints.

Indeed no automation can fix every problem, that is sure.

Because the situation is so complex, may be a user inface which offers several levels of "aggressiveness" - for each single layout feature - could be a good reaction.

And the scripts has to be able to analyse and manipulate the CSS.

As an example for "justification":

Aggressiveness Level 10 (maximum)
[x] Set every part of the book to "left"

Example for "line-height":

Aggressiveness Level 10 (maximum)
[x] Set every part of the book to a line-height 100%
Old 02-25-2017, 03:48 AM   #11
GeoffR
Wizard

There is a newish (since version 2.53) conversion setting in Calibre that I haven't looked into much yet: Look & Feel > Transform Styles. It allows you to set more sophisticated rules than simple filters.

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/edi...css-properties

I haven't worked how to do it in a way that handles all cases where the publisher has used different types of unit (px, pt, em), but it might be possible to create rules that would only remove line-height properties that set the height strictly greater than 1em and less than about 1.5em, which would be a big improvement on simply removing all instances of line-height.

Last edited by GeoffR; 02-25-2017 at 03:58 AM. Reason: greater than 1em and less than 1.5em
Old 02-25-2017, 04:28 AM   #12
ibu
Addict

My first try with "Convert epup" with Calibre for the book "Richard Dawkins. Die Poesie der Naturwissenschaften."

I set the justification to "left".
And
[x] Remove margin between paragraphs
Indentation: 0em
[x]Insert empty Line between paragraphs
Margin: 0.5em

That worked fine in that book.

These two layout features are the most important for my eyes.
I do not like justified text at all, when the hypenation isn't really perfect.
And I need a margin between paragraphs and no indentation at the beginning of a paragraph.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:37 AM   #13
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=GeoffR;3481315]You can set CSS properties to filter in the conversion settings Look & Feel > Styling > Filter Style Information. For example if you set a ...

The problem is that there are some situations where an explicit line-height is needed and doesn't interfere with the line spacing slider, such as setting the line-height of a raise-cap or superscript to zero to prevent it from messing up the line spacing of the containing paragraph. ...
End quote

I did not know you could use zero for that. I would expect zero height to make the superscript invisible

That could be a trick worth leaning as I hate seeing odd line heights due to sub or superscripts

I think the regex that someone kindly wrote for me only takes out fixed heights of between 1 and 2 em
Old 02-25-2017, 07:13 AM   #14
ibu
Addict

I'm curious about your view, your ideas about the best UI in Calibre, the best usability to deal with the dilemma of bad CSS/HTML from the publishers.

My own idea is to break the problem down to a more simple usecase.

At the moment the Kobo software has in my opinion a bug in the UI for the layout settings.
The user get's no information that the style rules from the publisher interferes with the style settings in the UI. Nor he get's an option to "disable settings from the publisher" for each specific layout feature.

My idea is, that there will be a Plugin for Calibre which "repairs" exactly that narrow software bug of the Kobo.

The working title could be:
"Normalizing layout settings from the publisher" or
"Eliminating inference from the style settings by the publisher and Kobo" or

Then you get the following offers:

1 Font
[x] Remove all style rules from the publisher
Warning: Every part of the book will appear in the font, which is set in Kobo

2 Font Size
Warning: Every part of the book will appear in the size, which is set in Kobo
Exception: Superscripts and Subscripts will appear in 65% of that size

3 Line Height
Warning: Every part of the book will appear in the line height, which is set in Kobo

4 Page Margins
Warning: Not only the page margins may be changed but even margins of paragraphs. If so, and if that bothers you, please disable the option

5 Justification
Warning: Every part of the book will appear in that justification, which is set in Kobo

The main idea behind focussing on those 5 layout features is to create an interface which is simple enough for normal users, who are overstrained by all the many other possibilities in that area.

What do you think about the idea? Please regard it just as a first sketch.

I would enjoy a discussion about it. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #15
stumped
Wizard

i think it's harder to automate than you suggest
e.g. styles - does that include bold, italic, italicbold...
justification: I like story text to be justified, but that does to mean I want all headings, poetry verse which may occur in the story to be ruthlessly changed
margins,- for narrative purposes it is often necessary for some margins to be deeper than others
& because CSS is hierarchical you have to consider at what level(s) to apply changes. I get good results( for me ) by having calibre add css only to the main calibre body style - where it can still be specifically over-ridden lower down within the CSS if needed. So I add a top level don't hyphenate ( as I don't like hyphenation) and top level widows 1 orphans 1 as I don't personally care for those effects either.
But I am not tweaking solely for kobo, I often want a book to look good on my kobo reader which my son has on semi-permanent loan, but also to look good in the various android reader apps we use. Mostly that just requires zapping line heights and any forced left justify commands in body text, then let the apps or the device sliders do their things. i only want to have to keep one version per format in calibre
android apps like bookari also add CSS in order to implement their themes, so possibly you end up , in the book, with CSS from publisher, more CSS from calibre plug in , and from the reader app , all asserting their importance while being poked at by the kobo reader sliders... not a pretty sight

Last edited by stumped; 02-25-2017 at 09:47 AM.