Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-22-2016, 05:19 AM   #1
luckytriple6
luckytriple6 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle touch
Thanks so much

Quite a while ago, multiple years now I'm sure(shortly after receiving my first RPi B+ as a gift)... I somehow heard of the KindleBerry Pi! In all honesty I think I was trying to find out(I mean googling) if there was any way I could use the e-ink screen scrapped from an original kindle(The white plastic one with the weird silver loading bar aside the e-ink screen....) with a RPi B+ as it's primary display ....

I know at that point I knew adapters were made to attach many different types of screens to RPi devices. I think that was all I knew...

I thought the kindleberry pi was an amazing project when I came across it, I still do every time I re-read that original post I came across.

I have appreciation more so now than I possibly ever could have had then than I did that first reading about the kindleberry pi(I recall being completely discouraged because all I had was a functioning screen from an original kindle...). Since I have a slight understanding of what's going on to make an OS(boot, be interactive, give output... etc, etc, etc)work in general... as opposed to then when I first searched(I'm sure it was something lone the line of "RPI kindle e-ink screen...)... HA! use a kindle's e-ink screen natively with a(n) RPi device....

I was a complete novice to Linux when I jail-broke my kindle keyboard(and for what it's worth, even before that kindle keyboard.... jailbreaking a few other devices; nooks, androids, and of course iOS....) I did it quite some time ago, all of the above of before the kindle jail break was a thought in my mind....

What this post is really about is me realizing how much work and most importantly giving thanks for all that work. The work in this case, all that goes into something that should be simple.... like running a program on(in this case.... on a very locked down version of) a Linux device.

Thank you all, re-readng what I read a year ago really has some gears turning, I really needed that ATM. I forget all the time that my kindle is powered by Linux, but how else would it just work(and be so restricted... not that there weren't ways around that)....
luckytriple6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:35 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytriple6 View Post
Quite a while ago, multiple years now I'm sure(shortly after receiving my first RPi B+ as a gift)... I somehow heard of the KindleBerry Pi! In all honesty I think I was trying to find out(I mean googling) if there was any way I could use the e-ink screen scrapped from an original kindle(The white plastic one with the weird silver loading bar aside the e-ink screen....) with a RPi B+ as it's primary display ....
Quite easy to use a bare eink screen using a handful of GPIO pins, if all you need is pure black and white pixels. Gray pixels get complicated due to eink oil viscosity variations requiring timing adjustments.

I posted links to simple eink hardware interfacing in another thread ("K1 Spelunking", I think). I will post them here when I find them.

Coincidentally, the original kindle is what we call a K1.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-22-2016 at 07:15 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2016, 06:48 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Found it. This post has the links that explain how to control a bare eink display:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
As I recently discovered, it is incredibly easy to drive the bare eink displays you can get on ebay for $15 or less (k5 replacement displays) with a simple $3 "ESP" computer (with wifi):
http://essentialscrap.com/eink/waveforms.html

Some "compatible" eink displays have a couple extra control lines (presumably for addressing quadrants in larger displays):
https://spritesmods.com/?art=einkdisplay

These displays are very easy to control with a handful of GPIO pins, but only in saturated black and white. It is greyscale that is complex, requiring "waveforms" (timing tables that vary with mfg batch and with temperature).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-22-2016 at 06:58 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote