Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
HarperCollins Pursues E-Book Subscription Service With Scribd

Quote:
HarperCollins Pursues E-Book Subscription Service With Scribd
By JULIE BOSMAN
Published: October 1, 2013

HarperCollins is the latest publisher to tinker with a Netflix-style e-book subscription service, announcing on Tuesday that it has struck a deal to make its backlist books available on Scribd, a Web site for sharing documents and books.

Scribd, with a generous base of 80 million visitors to its site each month, said it was positioned to become a prominent e-book subscription service, in which consumers pay a flat monthly fee and receive access to a large catalog of e-books in exchange.

Brian Murray, the chief executive of HarperCollins, said he was encouraged to sign on partly because of consumer interest in subscription models for music, television and radio. The idea has been circulating in publishing for years, but it has generated little traction so far. Oysterbooks.com, a venture introduced last month, offers consumers access to more than 100,000 books for a monthly fee of $9.95.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/02/bu...ribd.html?_r=0
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
The monthly fee is $8.99 But no epubs that I can see :-( http://support.scribd.com/entries/10...-ebook-reader-
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Hmm.. I'll sign up, and give it a try. If I don't like it, I can cancel it after the first month .
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
The monthly fee is $8.99 But no epubs that I can see :-( http://support.scribd.com/entries/10...-ebook-reader-
No Kindle support. I'll pass.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
So it's an ebook subscription service for anyone apart from people with dedicated e-readers, basically.

I was all excited to see this news (although I assume it's not globally available anyway - haven't checked yet) but for a lot of avid e-readers, having to read on a backlit LCD screen is not going to work out very well.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Two reasons why I'd never consider ebook subscription plans like this:
  • public libraries - free access with a large selection of Kindle books
  • no eink support - I refuse to read novels on backlit devices
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Question No Kindle support...

Why would I join this service?

The Kindle is the de-facto standard of eReaders. The Nook is evaporating and the Sony eReaders are no longer sold in the USA.

ScribD, please get back to us when you support Kindle eReaders seamlessly and you have all the major publishers on board.

detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
If I was considering such a service then this sounds fine. Easy access to books in a non-Kindle (hence non-proprietry) format that will work happily on all my tablets and eInk devices (with a minor tweak)... there are other users than Kindle outside the US where Kindle is not the grindingly dominant format and there are many other choices available... and this isn't anti-Kindle as I use the app on my tablets and phone but only for free content...

And surely it's better to have a service starting to get major publishers than no service with any major publishers or no service because they're not all on board... it's a start, maybe limited but still a start...

Last edited by elcreative; 10-01-2013 at 01:11 PM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Must use an app on a tablet or phone or the website to read, unless the publisher decides to provide a download which will be a PDF? I'd have to pass on that at this point.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Must use an app on a tablet or phone or the website to read, unless the publisher decides to provide a download which will be a PDF? I'd have to pass on that at this point.
OMG PDF?!?! That's worse than no eink to me.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
If I can't download my book and read it 100% independent of the service, then I will never subscribe, not even if it is a flatfee service that allows me to read what I want. I read 8 books at most, per month, if I have a lot of time. Most of the time, it's 2-4 books a month. I can get them at roughly €3 per book.

Therefore, as soon as a subscription service exceeds €12 per month, just buying the books is cheaper for me, most of the time. Even if it is (somewhat) more expensive if I have a "streak" (yeah, ahum...) of months where I read more than 4 books, I'm willing to pay the extra to actually have the book as my own. (After de-DRM-ing.)

I can see the viability of this service, if you now depend on the library a lot. Then it may be more convenient, faster, the selection may be greater, and so on. I wouldn't care zilch for DRM on a library book, so in that case I wouldn't care for DRM on an online service. It will be more expensive than a library, though; but then you are paying for the speed, convenience, and selection.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-01-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
The Kindle is the de-facto standard of eReaders.
Mobi isn't the de-facto standard. There are more devices and programs supporting epup, though it doesn't really matter since either format can easily be converted to the other. Life inside the Amazon ecosystem may give the impression that there is little else besides Kindle devices, but that's not quite so (especially outside of the US).

Also, far more people read e-books on computers, tablets and phones. Dedicated e-readers are used only by a minority of e-book buyers, so while personally I agree that developing a service that ignores them is a little off, I don't think that it is as big of a deal in the larger picture.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I found the news interesting. If ever a company got a well-rounded subscription service running (and this isn't it with it's lack of support for popular e-readers) I think amazon would then be forced to get into a subscription service. In fact, it's somewhat interesting that Amazon hasn't. Does that mean they don't like the model?

Very interesting. But it would have been more interesting if they had actually targeted READERS who have devices. As it stands, I'm not sure it's going to fly at all.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I found the news interesting. If ever a company got a well-rounded subscription service running (and this isn't it with it's lack of support for popular e-readers) I think amazon would then be forced to get into a subscription service. In fact, it's somewhat interesting that Amazon hasn't. Does that mean they don't like the model?

Very interesting. But it would have been more interesting if they had actually targeted READERS who have devices. As it stands, I'm not sure it's going to fly at all.
Amazon, certainly has their lending library, that could be considered a subscription service as well depending on how you consider the details. They also provide the books from library check-outs....no subscription fee.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Amazon, certainly has their lending library, that could be considered a subscription service as well depending on how you consider the details. They also provide the books from library check-outs....no subscription fee.
True to some extent, but they only allow one book per month. That's not a lot of books for most readers, although the "subscription" comes with other benefits so it's actually cheaper. Like the scribd, there aren't very many publishers onboard.

I'm not for or against the programs that exist, mind you. I'm just watching. For me as a reader, neither Amazons nor scribd appeals. As a writer...I don't know enough details about scribd, but it isn't available to me anyway. The Amazon program is not appealing to me as a writer because it requires exclusivity.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote