Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
ihatekobodamnit
ihatekobodamnit began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
I've literally tried everything..

and I can't put downloaded ebooks onto my kobo touch, which I bought today. I am so frustrated, I have tried Calibre and Adobe, as well as dragging and dropping the files on the kobo itself. However, none of these methods work and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. When I search for the files on my kobo (in my computer), they appear but it normally isn't just 1 file I find, it's a series of about 10.

Please can someone help before I end up taking this annoying thing back!
ihatekobodamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
A few questions:
- are the books DRM protected/where are you getting them from?
- what format are the books you are trying to add (i.e. are they e-pub or what)?
- what file names are you getting (you mentioned it is showing multiple files)?
- are you ejecting the Kobo from the computer before you disconnect the cord (most USB devices/sticks don't require this these days, but the Kobo database is sensitive to being disconnnected without proper eject)?

One way or the other it sounds like database is messed up somewhere. I'm thinking I would try a factory reset and start over. You can find factory reset option under "settings" > "device info". Doing a factory will wipe anything you have on the device.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Might i also suggest a change in user name.... With a name like that you are .. well... showing your colours...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
ihatekobodamnit
ihatekobodamnit began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
I've downloaded a few files that are originally PDFs. I actually managed to get a few on there as epubs yesterday but can't get any more on today.

I added the PDF's to calibre and then converted them to epubs. I then right clicked on each book in calibre and specified that I wanted to send it to my device (i tried main memory and send specific format to main memory). Nothing has worked. I also tried dragging and dropping the file onto my device using Adobe Digital Editions.

Whatever I did yesterday, I managed to do it but I was playing around with it so much that I don't know the exact process. I've been doing the same today and just can't add any more books to my kobo.

When I look on my kobo in 'my computer' I can see the epub file in the 'digital editions' folder..

Please can someone help me!
ihatekobodamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatekobodamnit View Post
I've downloaded a few files that are originally PDFs. I actually managed to get a few on there as epubs yesterday but can't get any more on today.

I added the PDF's to calibre and then converted them to epubs. I then right clicked on each book in calibre and specified that I wanted to send it to my device (i tried main memory and send specific format to main memory). Nothing has worked. I also tried dragging and dropping the file onto my device using Adobe Digital Editions.

Whatever I did yesterday, I managed to do it but I was playing around with it so much that I don't know the exact process. I've been doing the same today and just can't add any more books to my kobo.

When I look on my kobo in 'my computer' I can see the epub file in the 'digital editions' folder..

Please can someone help me!
I have very limited knowledge but will try to help a bit until someone with much more knowledge can assist you. My understanding is PDF's are quite a difficult format to work with. I know I had a couple of books in PDF form and even when I tried converting to epub I had no luck. I just searched around until I found them already in epub format.

My advice would be to start basically from scratch, reset your Kobo, download the newest firmware, and then start building your library. If you've had a little experience with Calibre, I too use that to sync my books to my Kobo because it keeps my library so organized, so start there, but preferably with books that are already in epub format so you can start to pinpoint where your transfer problems lie.

If you didn't like Calibre, you can just 'sideload' books from your computer to your ereader, but I am not very familiar with that.

I do recall when I was having a lot of trouble with my Kobo that part of the problem was Kobo 'talking' to Calibre, give it a few extra seconds to complete transfer, to eject properly, etc., or you can run into problems.

Good luck and maybe starting over and keeping it as easy as possible is the best place to re-start!?
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
Before using Calibre or other methods to transfer .pdf or .epub files, did you use the Kobo Desktop application to "register"?

The database on the device needs to be supplied with "USER" values in order for the device to be "activated". Without activation, the files transferred may not be recognised by the device.

Last edited by kumaryu; 07-04-2012 at 08:48 PM.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Try this forum for PDF books. Might help.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Forgot to include Link
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=184
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaryu View Post
Before using Calibre or other methods to transfer .pdf or .epub files, did you use the Kobo Desktop application to "register"?
Excellent point, since this sounds like the exact behavior a Touch will exhibit if you skip the registration process.

If you don't want to register, search the subforum for "touch register sqlite". The process is messy, but effective.