Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 04-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
watou
watou began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Article not added when specifying content string

Hello,
I am writing a new recipe and the newspaper site has the full content of ten articles on one HTML page. I iterate through the page and append each article with an empty url but with full content, but these articles are silently skipped, leaving an empty section in the e-book. Here is the code:

Code:
        for post in ts.findAll('h1'):
            title = self.tag_to_string(post)
            self.log(title)
            url = ''
            date = ''
            content = self.tag_to_string(post.findNextSibling('p'))
            desc = content
            articles.append({'title':title, 'url':url, 'date':date, 'description':desc,
                'content':content})
The documentation for parse_index() says of the content dictionary entry: "The full article (can be an empty string). This is used by FullContentProfile" but I cannot find any documentation on FullContentProfile, or any clue why the content isn't being used. The recipe will be complete after I can fix this issue. Thanks in advance for any insight!
watou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
content no longer works (it refers to an obsoleteted API). Instead save your html into temporary files and pass a file:///path/to/temp/file.html as the url.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
watou

Thank you! Will do exactly that.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
watou

That worked perfectly. Now the final barrier to sharing my new recipe is that one image, whose name has a space in it, is not being retrieved, and is showing a broken image in the resulting e-book. Here is some debug output:

Code:
Processing images...
Fetching http://www.southernstar.ie/scripts/imgsize.php?w=300&img=../images/news/1312c41.jpg
Processing images...
Fetching http://www.southernstar.ie/scripts/imgsize.php?w=300&img=../images/news/Rachel MCCarthya.jpg
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/web/fetch/simple.py", line 369, in process_images
  File "site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 1980, in open
IOError: cannot identify image file
Other images load perfectly. The only code that touches images in my recipe is a verbatim copy of atlantic.recipe's postprocess_html().

Is there anything I can do about this?
Old 04-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
url escape the space
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
watou

Recipe for The Southern Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
url escape the space
Thanks; done; works. Attached please find a completed and working recipe for The Southern Star, a regional weekly newspaper since 1889 from County Cork, Ireland. Tested on Mac and Windows Vista.
Attached Files
File Type: zip southernstar.recipe.zip (2.2 KB, 120 views)