Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Looking for new-to-me scifi/fantasy with compelling non-human characters

Hey gang it's been a while since I came here asking for recommendations, but I'm back. I've been reading like crazy lately and need some suggestions for something new.

I'm interested in scifi/fantasy novels/series with compelling non-human characters mixed in with humans. When done right I really enjoy the interactions between humans and "others". The "others" bring a nice change of perspective while still being understandable once you see the way they think. So I definitely want strong characterization, preferably with an intriguing overall plot, but then don't we all?

SciFi example:
A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge - great novel, great mix of sentient beings.

Fantasy examples:
The Farseer Trilogy and sequels by Robin Hobb - loved the characters here, particularly the interaction between Fitz and Nighteyes.
Pern Series by Anne McCaffrey - Intelligent, caring dragons bonded to humans, but as more than just a plot device.

My brain hasn't engaged very well this morning so I'm coming up short on examples, but hopefully you get the idea. What do you suggest?

Thanks everyone!
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Looking for new-to-me scifi/fantasy with compelling non-human characters

The Chanur novels by C.J. Cherryh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover1.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	79669   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	79670   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover3.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	79671   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover4.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	79672   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover5.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	79673  

Last edited by alansplace; 12-05-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Add covers
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The Bug Wars by Robert Asprin. It follows a Reptile Protagonist during a war with an Insectoid Civilization.
Unfortunately it is still only available in Pbook.
[Image too large - MODERATOR]
Apache

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-06-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The Chanur novels by C.J. Cherryh.
Wow those are horrible covers, but I enjoyed the Morgaine books and always meant to read more *and* after reading up a bit on the Chanur novels they sound pretty interesting. I may have to try these next, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The Bug Wars by Robert Asprin. It follows a Reptile Protagonist during a war with an Insectoid Civilization.
Unfortunately it is still only available in Pbook.
I know Robert Asprin not from his novels, but from the Graphic Novel version of Myth Adventures he did with Phil Foglio. Those were a lot of fun, but for some reason I almost never read that "type" of fiction. The very light-hearted, satirical, etc. I don't know why I don't since it's usually fun stuff. Just not what I'm after right now I guess.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
Skip_intro
Culture Eccentric
Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Red
David Brin's Uplift Series?
Skip_intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Larry Niven's Ringworld series
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_intro View Post
David Brin's Uplift Series?
I tried to read the Uplift Series. The first book was not bad. But I had to stop in the second book. The dolphins just didn't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik is very good. It features humans and intelligent dragons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temeraire_%28series%29
Old 12-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
I'm very fond of Peter Watts' work. It's recent and available free online.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
Shadowplay
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik is very good. It features humans and intelligent dragons.
Ah I forgot about this series! I read the first 3 books (I think it was 3.) Whichever the last one was that I read didn't hold me very well and I took a break from the series. I've never gotten back around to it.

How does the series hold up after the first 2 or 3 books?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:28 AM   #11
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Progenitor series by Dan Worth
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #12
Skip_intro
Culture Eccentric
Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I tried to read the Uplift Series. The first book was not bad. But I had to stop in the second book. The dolphins just didn't work.
That's dolphins for you, lazy creatures!
Skip_intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Left_Hand_of_Darkness
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #14
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Harry Harrison's "West of Eden", "Winter In Eden", "Return To Eden" - The dinosaur extinction never happened, and intelligent reptiles (the Yilane) with a biotechnology-based civilization are competing with hunter-gatherer humans. The trilogy revolves around the relationship between Kerrick, a hunter, and Vainte, governor of a Yilane colony.

Not strictly sci-fi or fantasy: Robert Bakker ("The Dinosaur Herisies")" wrote a novel "Raptor Red" about life from the perspective of a female Utahraptor in the early Cretaceous. Unfortunately, this is not available in ebook, but it is available as a downloadable audiobook from here:
http://books.simonandschuster.com/bu...ther-retailers
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
Ah I forgot about this series! I read the first 3 books (I think it was 3.) Whichever the last one was that I read didn't hold me very well and I took a break from the series. I've never gotten back around to it.

How does the series hold up after the first 2 or 3 books?
It holds up quite well. There is another book due out sometimes in 2012.