Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Rendering errors? (missing spaces)

At first I thought this was just an error in an ebook loaded from Smashwords to Kobo, but I've realized now that it's apparently a little bigger than that.

In a couple of ebooks purchased from the Kobo store over the past several days, I've noticed an error where there are missing spaces after where a tag (specifically, an italics tag) closed. As noted above, one of these books was my own, distributed to Kobo from Smashwords. It appeared to be a Kobo-specific error, so I shot them an e-mail.

Then, last night I began to read the new Cassandra Clare Infernal Devices novel to find a similar issue in her book. Was there some kind of change to the stylesheets? I'm hoping this is a temporary error and they're already working on the problem. Otherwise, it's going to get pretty annoying pretty fast.

Anyone else noticing this error?
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
And this is on a WiFi? What firmware level?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo Wifi, software 1.9 (r25373) it looks like. Which is odd, since I'm pretty sure I've updated it since March.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandonlyDoc View Post
Kobo Wifi, software 1.9 (r25373) it looks like. Which is odd, since I'm pretty sure I've updated it since March.
That is the right/latest firmware.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
Harry_W
Harry_W began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-T1
I remember some cases where two or more words seemed to blend into one. Changing the font or fontsize "solved" the problem. It seems the Kobo sometimes tries to put an additional word into a line instead of the next one. The spaces between the words then are reduced to a minimum and sometimes they seem to disappear.
Harry_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_W View Post
I remember some cases where two or more words seemed to blend into one. Changing the font or fontsize "solved" the problem. It seems the Kobo sometimes tries to put an additional word into a line instead of the next one. The spaces between the words then are reduced to a minimum and sometimes they seem to disappear.
But would it still render strange in both the version on my kobo and the desktop version, if that was the case?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
Lee113
Lee113 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I'm having the same problem with the new Stephen King novel. Only the spaces are missing after every italicized word. And there's LOTS of them! I have a Kobo too, and downloaded the book from the Kobo website.
Lee113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
So the problem sounds to be to happen when one is using italized fonts? This may be because italized fonts take a little bit more space than normal ones. and then they don't fit properly to the line so spaces are stript too small
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote