Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
mrspaceman
Edge User

Thumbs down No News on an SDK?

I find it amusing that Entourage are so arrogant that they believe they know every possible way in which a user would want to interact with the devices that they have developed (even when proved wrong in the forums)

Other companies understand that end users will want to do something else. and that's where having an SDK and getting developers on board is a godsend.

RIM for example are expecting to have 4000 apps available when the playbook is finally launched in march.

How many apps do entourage have in their app store?
Do they seem to be making any noise regarding the availability of an SDK?

you decide: they have your money now. what is going to be more important to them?
giving existing users (us) something that generates no $
or
selling new products (e.g android 3 compatible device) that does generate more $

andy.

(just thought I'd leave my last post with a question)

Old 02-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
thegreenarrow
Edge User

Probably more a fear of someone developing a better app utilizing more of the device. I know an SDK would have greatly improved my experience with the device.

Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
StevenP
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenarrow View Post
Probably more a fear of someone developing a better app utilizing more of the device. I know an SDK would have greatly improved my experience with the device.
I think it's more of a resource issue.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
kenjennings
Edge User

Don't know what the delay is. I'm running out of reasonable guesses to the cause.

As a developer type of person I wouldn't care if the SDK (APIs) have to change for 2.2. If something I write for the edge breaks on the next Android release then I'd just rebuild it (assuming the SDK was provided again.) Developers deal with it just fine with other Android devices So, fear of version changes shouldn't be reasonable.

I don't care if the build method for apps using eInk may require technical, manual tweaking. Developers are not users. Fear of non-coder end-users inundating the Help desk over the SDK is likely not reasonable.

Most of the SDK stuff would be the standard Android docs. The rest of it to access the eInk screen can't possibly be so complicated that it takes months to write.

So, I'm running out of reasonable explanations for the SDK delay.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
fgruber
Edge User

Yes. This is totally unacceptable. They just need to post some examples on how to use the eink and the necessary drivers. Just give the code for that calendar for example

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
Don't know what the delay is. I'm running out of reasonable guesses to the cause.

As a developer type of person I wouldn't care if the SDK (APIs) have to change for 2.2. If something I write for the edge breaks on the next Android release then I'd just rebuild it (assuming the SDK was provided again.) Developers deal with it just fine with other Android devices So, fear of version changes shouldn't be reasonable.

I don't care if the build method for apps using eInk may require technical, manual tweaking. Developers are not users. Fear of non-coder end-users inundating the Help desk over the SDK is likely not reasonable.

Most of the SDK stuff would be the standard Android docs. The rest of it to access the eInk screen can't possibly be so complicated that it takes months to write.

So, I'm running out of reasonable explanations for the SDK delay.

Last edited by fgruber; 02-03-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 04:06 AM   #6
jmss70
Edge User

I agree

I'm really dissapointed with the delay in SDK and Android 2 update. I'm a developer and I wanted to use the device capacities to develop apps. Now I suspect that Entourage is going to freeze de Edge and will work on other device, as Archos did with my AIT5.

I hope it to be a unfunded fear, but I feel that way.

I'm a linux user and developer, and I like the way that Linux community has to work. Could be possible that Entourage team work colaborating with a open environment?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
alefor
Edge User

Recent events (i.e. the lack of any information about the Dingo 1.13 upgrade) suggest some serious changes may be underway at Entourage. Despite the release of 1.13, and numerous comments in this forum seeking information, there is not a single word from Entourage staff to explain anything. People here have made some excuses for Entourage, but I do not support that approach. Given that the SDK seemed a faraway goal in the past, when everything else was seemingly OK, now that Entourage seems to have "dropped the ball", I expect that an SDK is an even more distant goal. Long story short, don't hold your breath.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
borisb
Edge User

From past discussions with enTourage (it's amazing what they'll tell you if you just ask), I discovered that there is no intention to ever publically (broadly) release the SDK unless there's a major change in policy regarding app development. I honestly have no idea of the business rationale for this (that hasn't been proposed in the forums already). Sorry guys, but forget about seeing an SDK.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
....there is no intention to ever publically (broadly) release the SDK unless there's a major change in policy regarding app development. .....Sorry guys, but forget about seeing an SDK.
Add this to the list of things NOT happening with the eDGe....it's an ever growing list, or so it seems

Old 02-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
borisb
Edge User

Picture yourself at enTourage. You've been working like crazy to get out the Android 2.x update since last spring, and you need to get going on the next generation hardware (and corresponding software) for the 2011 models. Where do you find time for an SDK when sales are just fine without a published SDK? Lots of people say an SDK would really boost sales, but what if sales are just fine (presumably) as is?

Old 02-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
morellij3179
Edge User

**** the edge.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
StevenP
Edge User

Quote:
From past discussions with enTourage (it's amazing what they'll tell you if you just ask), I discovered that there is no intention to ever publically (broadly) release the SDK unless there's a major change in policy regarding app development. I honestly have no idea of the business rationale for this (that hasn't been proposed in the forums already). Sorry guys, but forget about seeing an SDK.
A year ago this was promised as coming out (I sent an email to them asking them about app development for the Edge). Deciding against releasing an SDK is a very unfortunate decision of theirs.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #13
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenP View Post
A year ago this was promised as coming out (I sent an email to them asking them about app development for the Edge). ......
Interesting contrast of answers by Entourage to the same question, one year apart. Why the change of heart? And despite something having been promised, now someone else gets the diametrically opposed answer. This is not about resources.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Picture yourself at enTourage. You've been working like crazy to get out the Android 2.x update since last spring, and you need to get going on the next generation hardware (and corresponding software) for the 2011 models. Where do you find time for an SDK when sales are just fine without a published SDK? .....
In my business, we don't accept excuses. For anything. We have a saying about excuses, but if I typed it here, no doubt someone from Entourage would find it offensive. Despite no time to put something on the Home page of the forum about software upgrades a full 10 days after the upgrade is available for download (1.13), there is always time to play policeman here on the Forum.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #15
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
Interesting contrast of answers by Entourage to the same question, one year apart.
Actually, in retrospect, it was only a few months apart. You'll remember the resistance by enTourage early last summer in releasing the GPL code and the continuing resistance to even simple ADB connectivity. I think the SDK started off as a "good idea/intention" and was quickly retracted, although not publically so.