Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
Anyone concerned about the Sony breaches?

The Reader app stores my credit card. I wonder whether my data is vulnerable to the two events Sony had with their users' private info. Anyone have any info on this?

I'm assuming (hoping?) that the systems are separate. But even if they are, how much more secure is their ebook store. Only saving grace I guess is that it might not be on anyone's radar.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I use only Sony gift cards on my reader, so they never have my credit card information. It also helps limit the amount of books I buy each month. I tend to overspend.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Nope.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
minspargal
Enthusiast
minspargal doesn't litterminspargal doesn't litter

Device: sony reader
Nope!
minspargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I never had a PlayStation thankfully, but I have played EverQuest and those servers are down also, no one knows for how long at this point. I'm tempted to call my bank and get a new card issued before it becomes a major problem.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I never had a PlayStation thankfully, but I have played EverQuest and those servers are down also, no one knows for how long at this point.
It appears that SOE (EverQuest, et cetera) was also breached.

Personally, I would be concerned - it would not surprise me to learn that the same infrastructure supports the Reader Store that supports SOE and PSN.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Because of the PSN breach I put my account at the credit agencies on fraud alert. If you were a victim of that PSN breach you got an e-mail from Sony with that suggestion and a convenient 'how to do it.'
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheinz View Post
It appears that SOE (EverQuest, et cetera) was also breached.
I'm aware of that, which is why I'm now one of the very concerned. They claim only a few countries had banking info stolen from the SOE servers, but after the mess they've made of relaying info to their paying customers about the PlayStation hack, I'm not sure I trust their info at this point.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
If my credit card gets hacked, the bank will sort it out.

I use my credit cards in a lot of places, so the numbers are out there. I worked retail jobs when I was younger and I remember what my coworkers were like - I have no illusions about their honesty or stability, or that their employers actually have any control over whether they take credit card numbers home with them. But it's the banks job to deal with any fraud - it's just my job to report it. I keep a close eye on it, but I don't lose any sleep over it.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
I use my credit cards in a lot of places, so the numbers are out there.
The CC numbers themselves aren't the biggest problem - the loss of things like personal data plus security questions is much more damaging - makes it much easier to commit identity theft.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:29 AM   #11
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use a prepaid card on the internet, this is why I am not concerned.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Not allowed to even come close to the library, so, I'm not concerned either.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
simulacrum
Connoisseur
simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.

Device: PRS-950
potential alternative backstory about the PS hack and subsequent sony network shutdown: http://torrentfreak.com/playstation-...or-all-110426/

To be read sceptically but interesting nonetheless.
simulacrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I never had a PlayStation thankfully, but I have played EverQuest and those servers are down also, no one knows for how long at this point. I'm tempted to call my bank and get a new card issued before it becomes a major problem.
I played Everquest II not too long ago, so I know they have my current credit card info. I'm a bit concerned.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Well fafa in the real world one of the hats I wear is that of an Information security Officer and as such I have multiple degrees in this area and I do have some advice on the matter.

1) first viruses and hacks are operating system (OS) dependent meaning an attack on a Windows based PC will not work on your Sony PRS because the OS is different. What you need to do is read information technology (IT) magazines looking for information on Sony PRS attacks, as the attack has to be specifically engineered around the Sony OS. To date the number of attacks on the Sony OS equals zero.

2) Second hackers are not going to attack a low profile OS they are going to go after the one with the biggest pay off (called the payload) and in the world of electronic readers that happens to be the Kindle. What you need to do here is to read IT magazines and look for news about kindle hacks. Also stay tuned to the section of this forum called Kindle or Kindle developer, any time someone talks about a Kindle hack you need to notice that and watch for hacks coming to the Sony PRS world. So far all of the hacks on the kindle have been by owners hacking their own device. And that is not really that much of a concern, what you need to be concerned about is when those hackers start hacking other people's devices remotely.

3) Pay attention to IT Security sites such as Mc Affee and Norton Anti Virus for news about Sony hacks.

4) Keep a watch on Sony's PRS web sites and look for upgrades and updates (I use those words specifically so please pay attention to those particualr words). Anytime Sony finds a security hole they will release either an update or an upgrade, upgrades are more drastic then an update is.

5) Download and install Secunia PSI, a free software package that scans your PC for software than determines if all of the software has been upgraded to the latest version and will apply the upgrades in a lot of cases.

6) Ensure that your virus scanner has the latest signatures.

7) Use software other than that from Microsoft, now I have nothing agains Bill Gates and his company its that the company has been so sucessfull that it has become a victim of its own sucess. Microsoft software is a highly visiable and the second biggest target for hackers (exceeded only by Apple). Other software packages are lower profile and are less likely to be attacked then Microsoft has been. Try Open Office (a free version of Microsoft Office) and Mozilla Mindfield (this is the pre-release versions of Firefox).

Last edited by jbcohen; 05-13-2011 at 08:36 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote