Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
what app do you read with your iPod Touch

Hello Applites,

Some guy with a red suit dropped off a couple of iPod Touchs off at our house last month. My kids are finding tons and tons of games for them. But, I'd like them to try to read some with them. I have looked around briefly and it looks like there are several ways to do it. I suspect most of the books will come from MR, Gutenburg or Smashwords.com.
So, what app do you recommend for reading with?

Thanks Guys.
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I've been using Bluefire with great success.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
I'm personally a fan of Stanza, but I set up my calibre server so I can access it from anywhere (from a private address of course!), and the ability to browse and download directly to Stanza is awesome.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I use the Kindle app most, because I buy most of my books from Amazon. I also use Barnes & Noble, Borders, Stanza and Bluefire, though.

One great thing about iDevices is being able to switch among apps for freebies from various bookstores. Even with public domain classics, I tend to check another app/bookstore if I want a better formatted version or such.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
kssmorse
kssmorse will become famous soon enoughkssmorse will become famous soon enoughkssmorse will become famous soon enoughkssmorse will become famous soon enoughkssmorse will become famous soon enoughkssmorse will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony prs505
Stanza and Bluefire

I tried several apps and finally settled on Stanza for most of my reading. Like Caltsar mentioned above, I use the Calibre server with Stanza. This really simplifies the transfer of books onto the device. I use Bluefire to read library books and have been very happy with it also. This is the setup I use for my iPad and my daughters use the same setup on their iTouch.
kssmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Personally, I use Stanza with my iPhone. It's easy to sync up with Calibre for transferring books from the Calibre server on my laptop.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I guess I'm the oddball here. I use to use Stanza but switched to iBooks and using Calibre to trasnfer books wirelessly to my device.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
egarbacz
egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Boox Nova2
I recently moved to iFlow and love it. I use Bluefire for library books, but sure do miss autoscroll when I use it.
egarbacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Mostly Bluefire, because of library book support and other features, but I have a number of apps that I look at from time to time.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Stanza, iBooks and the Kindle app

Nonny
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
I use Stanza the most, since I hate converting formats, and the Stanza can read virtually all the other formats out there (using the Desktop Stanza to transfer via WiFi).

I have a Kindle, so I use the Kindle app too (especially since we've figured out how to sync sideloaded mobi books).

BlueFire app for library books, plus all my Sony eBooks (since Sony doesn't have an app yet for the iOS). I hate iBooks and never use it

GoodReader for PDFs (I just use reflow to read on the tiny screen)

and CHMate for all my .CHM files (works like a dream!)

Last edited by arcadata; 01-24-2011 at 08:31 PM.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #12
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
I guess I'm the oddball here. I use to use Stanza but switched to iBooks and using Calibre to trasnfer books wirelessly to my device.
Not so odd. I use Calibre to put epubs on my iPhone as well. I still like Stanza, and have books only on Stanza that will have me reading in Stanza for some time to come. But iBooks has become my preferred reader mostly due to the iPad.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
I use Stanza on my iPod Touch, but if I had a newer iPod, I might use iBooks to take advantage of it's place-syncing feature. Right now I prefer Stanza on my iPod or my iPad, but being able to sync between them would possibly be enough of a feature to make me switch.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: iPod Touch 5g, Kindle PW, iPad 3
I usually use the kindle app. I just downloaded iflow and I love autoscroll on Instapaper, but iflow seems low res to me (? Feels like I'm back reading on my iPod 3) and no night mode is a dealbreaker.
Jowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #15
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I use my Kindle most, but when I use the Touch or the iPad my first choice is usually Stanza followed by iBooks or the Kindle App. The HD apps for classics are pretty good too.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote