Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Nook ST w/glow light
Can I read the same book on both my sony and iPod touch

I'd like to be able to read a book I bought from Sony on my iPod Touch 3G after having already transferred it to my Sony reader. There is an app for the iPod (Stanza) that can transfer epub books to it, but not if they are controlled by DRM. I've been using the Sony Library software which has rather limited features. So I installed Calibre and tried to add a book from my Sony library. I got a pop up dialog informing me that this book was protected by DRM.

From what I've discovered so far, it looks as though I have to decide which reader I want to use and then read the entire book from that reader. I own the book, so why can't I read half of it on the iPod and the remainder on the Sony? Not being able to do that is like telling me I can read my new paperback in the living room, but not in bed once I've started reading it. Perhaps, if I delete the book from my Sony reader, but not from the library (assuming I can do that), then I can load it into Calibre and, then to my iPod.

Anyone tried something like this? Any suggestions

Dave W
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
There's a new app called BlueFire that's supposed to be able to read Adobe DRMed ePubs. I haven't tried it yet, though.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Thanks, Nolan. I installed Blue Fire and it works - sort of. I successfully authorized it as a reader for Adobe epub DRM documents. However, following the instructions, I was able to load a file into the sharing window for Blue Fire in iTunes, but the book did not transfer into my iPod. The iPod flashed a syncing message very briefly, but no book appeared on the iPod. Once, about 5 minutes after I used iTunes to add a book, it appeared and I was able to read it. Since I had already read that book, I deleted it. That worked fine. When I tried to load a book I hadn't yet read, the book never appeared on my iPod even though the iPod appeared to transfer the file. It is possible that the transfer is just very slow, but it's been at least 30 minutes and still no book.

Either Blue Fire is not ready for prime time or I am doing something wrong. Looking at the reviews, it appears that at least a few users are using it to read their Sony ebooks. Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to try deleting Stanza in case that helps. If it does, I'll post back here to let folks know.

Dave W
Old 10-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
remove drm and read with stanza which allows u to load books over wifi
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
The DRM adobe uses is considered to be inadequate. Some think it makes inept epub.

If you were to google "inept epub" you might find others who agree.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Dave - I have a very similar problem with Stanza and my iPod; it looks like the transfer worked in iTunes, but Stanza on the iPod won't open the file; it insists on looking on the internet for it. I wonder if the Kobo app would let you read books you bought from Sony; they use the same DRM and the Kobo app lets you drag and drop files from iTunes onto the iPod. I'll have to try it when I get home tonight....
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
I believe that sometime in November Sony is releasing a verison of their ebook reader software for iOS products; iPod, iPhone and iPad. So once this is available it should be very easy to read all of your Sony Library eBooks on your iOS device.
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
Dave W
Connoisseur

An update: This morning, I deleted bluefire from my iPod and then re-installed it and re-authorized it with the same ID I use for Adobe Digital Editions. I tried loading a DRM protected book and it seemed not to work, but I left it alone for about a half hour. I noticed that my hard drive light was blinking very slowly. I tried looking for the book and it still wasn't there, but while I was reading the user's manual for Blue Fire, it appeared. I am able to read the book and the entire book seems to have loaded on my iPod. Apparently, either the book loading or the decrypting is "slow as molasses in January." Hopefully, the author of this software can speed it up in the next release.

Thanks everyone for your help. Blue Fire seems the way to go as long as you are extremely patient. A progress bar would help - next version, I hope.

Dave W
Old 10-28-2010, 03:40 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
The DRM adobe uses is considered to be inadequate. Some think it makes inept epub.

If you were to google "inept epub" you might find others who agree.
I'm sure Apprentice Alf would appreciate your subtlety as much as I do.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote