Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Panta rhei
Panta rhei began at the beginning.

Device: none
Bought the Opus. Not happy.

Hi folks!
I just bought the Cybook Opus for 100€ from Hugendubel Germany, and while that is almost a reasonable price, I think I'll send it back anyway.

Here is my criticism:
- format issues in .txt and .html files - keeps displaying (not even very special) characters like ' (or maybe ´ ) wrong and I don't want to edit all the files -> this is a knock-out criterion for the device (is this solved in 2.1? I got 1.9)
- no history/ last read books functionality (I tend to read multiple books at a time and want to keep many on the device -> endless clicking every time I change books)
- very slow and not useful for .pdf (ok I knew that)
- form factor too small as main reading device
- black/ white flashing bothers me more than I thought
- file navigation is suboptimal
- sometimes unstable/ forgets settings
- no USB 2.0 (slow file transfer)
- file system issues (read/ write errors) - i guess not every Opus has this error

Here's what I love:
- changable fonts for certain file types - I absolutely love it! This seems to be uncommon - why don't all ereader have this feature? Just copy the .ttf files to the device and you can use the font - so amazing.
- lightweight

So I guess after this short trial I'll skip the eInk devices altogether and wait some more for a bigger Pixel Chi or Mirasol tablet or netvertible, because I want to read PDFs without conversion (magazines...). And I want to surf the web and so on, which means I would have bought one of these anyway and the Opus would then lie in some drawer... and so I will send it back.

To be honest, I think next year the era of eInk pure reading devices will be over (if the new display types deliver what they claim).

Andre.

Last edited by Panta rhei; 10-24-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Panta rhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:21 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
- format issues in .txt and .html files - keeps displaying (not even very special) characters like ' (or maybe ´ ) wrong and I don't want to edit all the files -> this is a knock-out criterion for the device (is this solved in 2.1? I got 1.9)
Don't know about that particular issue, but 1.9 is buggy. You should update.

Quote:
- black/ white flashing bothers me more than I thought
It can take some time getting used to it.

Quote:
- no USB 2.0 (slow file transfer)
- file system issues (read/ write errors) - i guess not every Opus has this error
It's been a while since i pushed lots of file to the opus, but I never noticed it being slow. Maybe it's related to the read / write error. I would contact bookeen about that one.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panta rhei View Post
Hi folks!
because I want to read PDFs without conversion (magazines...). And I want to surf the web and so on
Why didn't you buy a netbook?
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Panta rhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
Why didn't you buy a netbook?
Because on LCD netbooks the battery only lasts a day and the display is tiring to the eyes when reading for hours. I've waited for years for a decent device, and it hurts to wait longer. But I'm not happy with the Opus and now I know I won't be happy with the Sony PRS-650 either. Too little functionality for the amount of money.
So, back to waiting some more...
Old 10-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Don't know about that particular issue, but 1.9 is buggy. You should update.
Should, no, Must yes.

Every device (expect older 200Mhz Gen3) MUST update to 1.5/1.6 2.0/2.1 or you will have serious problem with your device.

Bookeen should stop support on device that are not up-to-date..

For the USB part, it IS USB2.0 but if your NAND is damaged (ie having old firmware) you will may have slow transfer for (at least) this only reason.

Return it if you want, but the first things you should have done is to update it before anything. By the way where did you bought it ? Opuses with 1.9 is now really old device, they must be old stock
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
Panta rhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
By the way where did you bought it ? Opuses with 1.9 is now really old device, they must be old stock
I returned it. As I said, it was 100€ from Hugendubel Germany's website. It was one of the devices they sold in their bookstores. Yes, I guess they sold their old stock. The website says it's sold out now.