Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
MacOS 10.15 Catalina Beta Discussion Thread

We needed a thread specifically for discussing the new MacOS 10.15 Catalina while in Beta.

Last edited by OtinG; 06-05-2019 at 02:28 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Apple details how MacOS will handle iTunes content and device syncing post-iTunes.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds pretty much like we thought. It actually makes more sense than the old iTunes concept of purchasing and managing all content through iTunes. I'm sure it will rankle a lot of feathers among those who resist change, even if the change is good, but it will make more sense. I'm sure there will be bugs and issues to work out though, so it might be a mess for a while until they get those resolved. Hopefully by the time it goes live in the Fall it will be ready for use and running smoothly.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I’m curious as to whether we’ll see reading apps for iOS ported to Catalina via Catalyst:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/03/io...ject-catalyst/

For example, Kindle for MacOS could be vastly improved if they could port the iOS app over.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:01 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Oh good, sounds like they arent going to force/delete from older OSes just yet. Probably with the first update after Catalina is released, though.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Here is a cropped screen capture image copied from an Apple support article named "About the upcoming changes with iTunes on Mac." This screen capture illustrates how the MacOS X 10.15 Catalina Finder app will be used to backup, restore, and sync an iPhone, iPad, and iPod.

Last edited by OtinG; 06-07-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It has been a long time since I synched my iOS devices with a computer but it looks like the functionality that will be in Finder is the same as what has been in iTunes, and arguably a more logical place for it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:17 AM   #8
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
WARNING!!!! WARNING!!!! WARNING!!!!!

iCloud Drive is completely broken in current Catalina Developer Beta. If you install Catalina in your Mac, you won't be able to have not only Desktop and Documents in iCloud Drive but ALL of your iCloud files and any application related to iCloud files like Books.

You will see the files but couldn't open them.

On iOS 13 iCloud Drive is buggy as well but most of the programa should work fine (but not Books, for example).
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #9
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

And that is why I let you guys test out the new OSes before installing them on my devices!

I have noticed some weird things in iOS 12.3.1 with iCloud. Namely that Notes doesn't seem to always update to the iCloud and then to my various iOS, Mac OS devices. It is super sluggish on occasion. I had never encountered that issue in the past. It eventually gets things synced, but it sometimes takes a while. And no, it is not a WiFi issue on my end as the WiFi is operating fine at 200Mbps. I first started noticing this issue in the past week or two. It is sporadic though, and often works correctly.

ETA: Corrected typo where "Notes does seem to always update to the iCloud" was changed to "Notes doesn't seem to always update to the iCloud."

Last edited by OtinG; 06-08-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #10
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
And that is why I let you guys test out the new OSes before installing them on my devices!

I have noticed some weird things in iOS 12.3.1 with iCloud. Namely that Notes does seem to always update to the iCloud and then to my various iOS, Mac OS devices. It is super sluggish on occasion. I had never encountered that issue in the past. It eventually gets things synced, but it sometimes takes a while. And no, it is not a WiFi issue on my end as the WiFi is operating fine at 200Mbps. I first started noticing this issue in the past week or two. It is sporadic though, and often works correctly.
This kind of problems with iCloud happens always Apple release a new beta iOS/macOS version. Seems they are implementing change under the hood, or the new beta code interacts with the existent iCloud stuff and makes all unstable. And does not matter if you haven't installed any beta (like me) in your devices. Our (me) code makes all iCloud unstable.

Sometimes even existent iOS (and sometimes macOS) non-beta installations suffer for this "unstability". I don't know why, but sometimes during the month before releasing the new version (and when new hardware is going to be released), all aThings and iThings become unstable. I want to believe it is because some kind of server updates and not a forced situation to show us how unstable and crappy are our current devices...
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:10 AM   #11
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Does anyone know if unsigned, unnotarized apps will run on Catalina?

Apple has tightened security so as to require app notarization by default. The question is whether it can be overridden (as it can now).

My concern is for Alf's Tools, which is unsigned and almost certainly will never be notarized, as well as open source programs like Calibre and Sigil if open source developers take a dim view of submitting their programs to Apple.

https://forums.appleinsider.com/disc...ion-by-default
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Does anyone know if unsigned, unnotarized apps will run on Catalina?

Apple has tightened security so as to require app notarization by default. The question is whether it can be overridden (as it can now).

My concern is for Alf's Tools, which is unsigned and almost certainly will never be notarized, as well as open source programs like Calibre and Sigil if open source developers take a dim view of submitting their programs to Apple.

https://forums.appleinsider.com/disc...ion-by-default
Looks like no overrides... makes me relatively content to stay on High Sierra.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Looks like no overrides... makes me relatively content to stay on High Sierra.
Calibre works just fine, so you should at least be able to run Calibre with the plug-ins.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:09 AM   #14
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Calibre works just fine, so you should at least be able to run Calibre with the plug-ins.
Yeah, I know that will be fine, Sigil too, in all likelihood, but I have others which even today I have needed to rightclick open in order to install or use (apps like digikam, and darktable) As it is, I dont need those, but I have others on board which I do want to keep using.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:54 AM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Yeah, I know that will be fine, Sigil too, in all likelihood, but I have others which even today I have needed to rightclick open in order to install or use (apps like digikam, and darktable) As it is, I dont need those, but I have others on board which I do want to keep using.
The original question was being able to run Apprentice Alf's tools. You can run them as Calibre plug-in's just fine. I just tested it.

You can't run the stand alone. Very few applications for the mac aren't signed. I have a number of apps that are downloaded rather than purchased through the app store. Heck, even the app that I use to remove DRM for audible and iTunes movies is signed, not that it works on anything higher than Sierra, but it does start up. I suspect that Apprentice Alf's mac app will end up getting signed at some point.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote